don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Holy fuck.

You actually changed your avatar.

Also the Super Emeralds are definitely canon because s'cool.

[​IMG]

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Didn't they power up the Master Emerald enough so that Angel Island would not only stop sinking but would also start rising?

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    To be fair, Angel Island was already in the water in Sonic 3 + - & Knuckles   . It was Sky Sanctuary that was airborne.

Or else Angel Island was floating before Eggman got there.

4. I recall you see large Chaos Emeralds about the size of the Super ones on the altar during the flashback parts in Sonic Adventure.
    Although they don't explain or mention anything abut them in the game. So we don't know what those Emeralds are.

5. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Okay, Angel Island was floating then the Death Egg hit it, so Sonic goes to investigate at the start of Sonic 3... Then the Death Egg lifts off, barely and... crashes again on the island. Then... It... lifts off again again and actually makes it to space, but the island doesn't float because the Master Emerald is gone... But Sonic brings it back and it floats again. But then it falls again at the start of Adventure 1 because Chaos... but Knuckles fixes the Master Emerald so it floats again again (again), but almost immediately falls because the chaos emeralds were also there, even though that wasn't a problem before... but then Chaos goes to heaven and it floats and everything is fine, and Knuckles forget he's supposed to stay on the island.

Right?

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    [​IMG]

+ - Yeah that sounds about right  

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    What a waste of time for you to type this up. Nobody was unclear of the poor logic in your response, expanding it clarifies nothing. It's pretty dumb to keep this type of argument in your back pocket -- "Sonic team said something once, and then in a subsequent game did the opposite, that means you can never use their word in an argument!"

Well, that's a really stupid stance to take when discussing canon, which is entirely defined by what Sonic Team (and sega) say is and isn't valid. They literally define canon.

Further, it reaks of disingenuous argumentation.

8. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Until they change their minds, hence the argument.

9. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    An argument which seems useful only for enabling self-congratulatory "I told you so"s when they do or don't contradict themselves.

It's hard to care much either way when the canon is mostly defined on a game-to-game basis; I doubt that, if the Sonic Mania team wanted to have Super Emeralds in the game, the director would talk with Iizuka about it and he'd say "Oh, you can't do that. The Super Emeralds aren't canon."

10. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    You say that like self-congratulatory gestures are bad. :v:

Anyways, the canon wouldn't mean as much to me if there weren't a game changing mechanic attached to it.

11. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    It's called a...

R E T C O N

Man, you guys. So dense.

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    In related news, I can confirm that the demo at PSX appears to be the first one that was seen at previous events. (Unless there's a secret code to invoke level select, I tried Up Down Left Right but that didn't work) Game plays awesome BTW, but you all knew that already. If you're concerned about difficulty from watching videos, Studiopolis really isn't harder than past games, it's just the people playing. I managed to get over 200 rings in my first playthrough of the level.

The game is running on actual PS4 consoles at the event, they did not fake it by using PS4 controllers with a PC. I know this because while I was waiting in line to play Yakuza 0 the game crashed for someone and they had to restart it. The game icon on the demo is the flat sonic icon from the promotional materials. I wore my Sonic Mania shirt and multiple people asked where to buy it. It's a shame it was a limited time thing. What was neat is there were a lot of people who genuinely didn't know about the game and were surprised to see it and I heard positive comments from a lot of people.

13. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    The very existence of a retcon means that canon can be changed. I think that's the point people are going on about. With retro-active continuity, anything is possible.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic 1 had 6 Chaos Emeralds.
    Sonic 2 had 7 Chaos Emeralds.
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles had 7 Chaos Emeralds and 7 Super Emeralds.

I hope that Sonic Mania has 7 Chaos Emeralds, 7 Super Emeralds and 7 Mega Emeralds. =P

15. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    God, you fucking stupid son-of-a-bitch idiot. You piece of shit. You goddamn moron.

They would obviously be called Hyper Emeralds.

16. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Duh.

Chaos Emeralds -> Super Sonic
    Super Emeralds -> Hyper Sonic
    Hyper Emeralds -> Mega Sonic
    Mega Emeralds -> Saturn Sonic
    Saturn Emeralds -> Dream Sonic

Dream Sonic is popular with the fans, but doesn't sell well enough to have any future versions after that.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Didn't Sonic The Comic resolve this bullshit by having the Chaos Emeralds merge with the Super ones, and they became just 7? They were also only ever referred to as Chaos Emeralds after that...

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think you'll find that the super emeralds are now the size of planets, and hyper Sonic has been replaced with "Super Sonic God", created when six hedgehogs come together and share their rings.

19. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Next person who says "Super Emeralds" gets put on the list.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sorry, I was thinking of Sonic Mania 2: Robotnik's Revenge already. :(

EDIT: *Fixed quote.