don't click here

Hidden Palace - Sonic Remix Album - Lava Reef update

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lostgame, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Anything from Sonic 2 8 bits soundtrack ( master System or Game Gear). It's just so awesome and so underrated!

2. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Based on repeated listening, I'm going to favour the Genesis/MD version of Rusty Ruin, which I'm thinking of tackling now as long as I don't find something I like better first.

I *will* tackle Marble Zone, but it'll be one of the last I'll do, as it's so close to Carnival Night, I don't want people to think I'm doing a just Sonic 3-based soundtrack, and I'd like some space between songs I work on from the same game, so I'll have a more unique approach to them after processing the songs from the other games.

I'll be releasing these once about every three or four days, I'm mastering my band's second album right now and I'm using these to make sure I'm still having fun producing. :v:

I'd like to do something from Sonic 1. I'm thinking Star Light Zone.

I'm kinda cringing at the idea of doing Green Hill to open, what should I use to open the whole album?

I'm thinking Hidden Palace as a closer, and I think I will create a bonus track in two versions for Dust Hill, a Yamaha-synth based one and an associated remix.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Metropolis yet, heh.

3. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Maybe no one has mentioned Metropolis because there are many remixes of it already?

What I feel with the popular tracks that get much of the attention is folks will remix them thinking that because it's popular, it will attract attention. Then when more people think that way, a multitude of that same track will be made that it becomes "noise" and is hard to distinguish which remixes are worth listening to. Whereas if one remixes a tune that is overlooked or not considered, it could be easier to make up your own flare of creativity to the extent that it because different and cool. Additionally, it's more of a challenge to turn a tune that's not popular into something more worthwhile...which could pay off for you in the future. I recommended the Ending themes to Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn) because they're currently my favorite tunes...but I don't care for the lyrics.

I feel Star Light Zone is another track that's been remixed quite often. Your Carnival Night remix is good, it's listenable rather than the blaring echo that some remixes have. Plus the Carnival Night Zone music is one that hasn't been tackled very much.

4. Retroman

Retroman

Chrome Gadget Zone which is a Multiplayer level from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is cool, not too many remixes around of it. Has a heavy 80's, 90's vibe.

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Genesis Rusty Ruin has always been one of my all time favourites. Would love to hear that!

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I'd like to hear one of Sonic Blast's Final Boss, Game gear version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To8erW6fwuk

7. Falk

Falk

What's a remix album without Can You Feel the Sunshine

????

8. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Whoa. Such valid points here. And this is why I make a topic here rather than just release them all. heh.

About halfway through that one now.

Oh, God, the thing is my girlfriend would actually do a good job at vocally covering that, which kinda makes me both cringe and giggle.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys, I'll let you know as it goes which ones I'm selecting.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Obviously what this album needs most is a remix of "They Call Me Sonic".

10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Personally, a favorite of mine is the boss theme of Sonic Chaos. As a kid, there was just something utterly enticing and exciting about what would accompany that track next in terms of new contraptions by the ol' egghead. Plus, c'mon, Sonic Chaos obviously has the best 8-bit soundtrack 8D

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, that's disappointing. The Genesis version is the one that always gets the remixes, even though the Saturn version is better. I like it, but I don't have nearly as much love for it.

But, y'know, your album.

12. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    So, as I've been working on this I've realized their chord structures aren't terribly dissimilar.

I'm going to try to mash themes from them together, so bear with me on this one.

Jacques' compositional skill is obviously extreme, so, it's taking a couple days. :3

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Alright, consider me intrigued to hear the final end result.

14. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    https://soundcloud.com/loveorchestra/rusty-ruin-genesis-saturn-edit

Rusty Ruin! :D

Uh, this mixes the Saturn and Genesis versions together. Keep your eyes open at 2:20.

UPDATE:

I've decided to call the album 'Hidden Palace', as a nod to those who'll get it.

I'll be updating our band's website to have a subsection for the album and will post the tunes here as we go. Keep the suggestions coming!

We're confirming 'Can You Feel the Sunshine,' my bandmate is going to sing it, we've been doing some marathon Sonic R sessions to get her used to the tune, heh.

15. Sui Eel

Sui Eel

captan Member
    Sonic 3K's Gumball bonus stage music always gives me a fleeting, nostalgic feeling listening to it now. Hard to explain, but maybe someone else kind of understands my insanity.

Additionally, Balloon Park and Endless Mine are nice multiplayer songs from 3k.

As for other games outside of 3k, Sonic 2's ending theme was a pretty big change in tempo from the rest of the game, it caught me off guard the first time.

Lastly, even though it's not pre-cast, I'd like to see someone do something with Lost World's "Hidden World", it's a bit short and simple, but catchy. I feel like it could do well blended into another song.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    As a fan of the source track - really nicely done, you've obviously got some talent. I see what you did with the Saturn version, too. =P

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hey, thanks, man, really appreciate that. :)

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hey, y'all -

It's been a while, but recently with the hubbub the project has taken a serious upturn in interest and I'm having to sort through tracks faster than I can mix/master them, hehe -

Next up...

Lava Reef/Hidden Palace, from Sonic & Knuckles.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmJ8KyYaulA[/media]

19. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

C:\Windows\System32
    Finding the Sonic 2006 E3 demo (not much though)
    I love this one! Chrome Gadget and Azure Lake are highly recommended. I also love Death Egg Zone, Sky Sanctuary Zone, Flying Battery Zone, Hydrocity Zone is amazing, and most importantly, LAVA REEF!

As for other games, I like White Acropolis - Snowy Peak (Sonic '06), Stardust Speedway Present (although it isn't really electronic); I love Metropolis Zone - Sonic 2 (would love to see that), and I kinda like Grand Metropolis - Sonic Heroes. Panic Puppet Zone is catchy.