don't click here

Sonic Social Media Shenanigans (This totally just happened...)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ashura96, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's not going to be Sonic Adventure 3. Putting aside that we've had several of those arguably (Heroes, Shadow which lead straight on from SA2, Sonic 06 (which iirc was labelled SA3 at least internally), Sonic World ADVENTURE aka Unleashed), it would be a sequel to a game that happened 15 years ago now. This isn't like Sonic 4 where there hadn't been a mainstream series console 2D title since, there's been a load of games in the interim gap.

I think anyone who genuinely wants a game that's labelled as Sonic Adventure 3 (I don't) is setting themselves up for disappointment. If we're genuinely wanting a sequel to an existing game, I'd much rather take Sonic Colours 2.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Calling it now: It's Sonic 4 Episode 3, expanded into a full-length 3D title done entirely by Sonic Team (no Dimps) in Unreal Engine 4, Crush 40 soundtrack, etc.

3. Tamashii

Tamashii

Fulfilled Collector Member
    Pereira, CO
    Sonic Network Crash
    Wow, way to make me horny!
    In all seriousness, if it is Sonic Colo(u)rs 2 (or Colo(u)r Adventure or whatever), keeping in with the quality of that title, it would be as welcome as Sonic 2 was back in 92.
    So many hypotheses, there are even people are saying that it is going to be an RPG/platformer...

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Finally the long-awaited sequel to Sonic Chronicles :v:

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The only things that tie SA1 and SA2 together is Sonic's gameplay, multiple playable characters, a big focus on story, and extra modes like Chao Garden, missions and minigames.

Other than that, their styles and way of handling things are pretty different. SA2 is much more dark and moody, with a grimier quasi-realistic art style and more emphasis on rock and industrial sounds. Plus a plot about things as looney as government conspiracies, killing in cold blood and even getting the president of the Sonic-world United States involved. Meanwhile, SA1 was a fair bit closer to what we usually expect from the Sonic series, had hub worlds, and overall a completely different tone that relied more on mystery and adventure than brood and over the top stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that a hypothetical Sonic Adventure 3 could really be anything as long as it seems to match the things those two games had in common. That's not to say it would be though, because they'd probably try to tie it to SA2's way of doing things and bring us down that path again if they really went through with it..

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ^ Speaking of which. If we ever do get another Adventure game --regardless if it's a direct sequel or an Adventure game in spirit--, I'd rather it follow on Adventure 1's framework than that of Adventure 2. Virtually everything Adventure 2 axed or changed from Adventure 1 in its game structure I'd argue was for the worst, and Adventure 2 as a whole reads to me in general as a example of how not to make a sequel. In terms of graphics and technical performance, Adventure 1 may have aged worse; but I'm much more receptive towards going back to it than I am going back to its sequel.

7. Tamashii

Tamashii

Fulfilled Collector Member
    Pereira, CO
    Sonic Network Crash
    So we have to retcon that thing about Robotn... erm, Eggman, blowing up half of the moon.
    #SonicAdventure2IsNotCanon (or)
    #AfterSonicAdventure2ThereIsNoCanon (or)
    #TheMoonWasAHologram

But joking aside, you brought up an interesting point, specially in that the structure of SA1 is more well defined, and felt a little as huge expanse of a game.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Because why would a chiptune-heavy artist like Madeon be composing for something relatively modern in style? Or even something inexorably-linked with MOR rawk muzak? + - I'm speculating that we're getting a Megaman 9 deal out of this, possibly with the pixel art of Paul Veer. Take, of course, with a pinch of salt.  

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    #B3LI3V3 4/1/16
    [​IMG]

I love this man.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm sure Paul would love to do pixel art for a Sonic game, but he's currently busy with his own project. :v:

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is a delicious way of saying "it's not Sonic Adventure 3".

12. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I'm confused as to why you're all assuming Sonic Adventure 3 would have to take place after Sonic Adventure 2 in the timeline. Adventure is a game style, not a connected storyline. If Adventure 3 happens, it probably takes place after Lost World, just like every main Sonic game before it has been in chronological order.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic Adventure 3 is nothing more than a name that'd cause some minority to orgasm if Sega would call any future game it. Anyone outside of that group would more likely be confused than happy about it.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I suppose this is kind of true, but at the same time I think you're underestimating the size of the group that would be intrigued by it. It wouldn't have nearly the same impact as Sonic the Hedgehog 4 did though.

What I said before stands - I want another game that fits the Adventure formula (which includes '06 and aspects of Unleashed). This has been the case for years though.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Mr. :ruby: posted something to his personal Twitter, the content of which is neat enough on its own... but naturally there's more going on.
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/697937412920455169

Probably safe to assume the top row is 4/1/16.
    Second row... unsure. Our remaining numbers are 3, 7, and 21.

Assuming I'm reading this as literally as I should be, 00 means 2000. 21 can only be a day, not a month. That leaves 3, and 7. "Add the numbers" (since we have to get those two numbers down to one) gives us 10. 10/21/2000. Dead end? Maybe I forgot a number somewhere? The closest thing I can even find for that is the SA2 Trial releasing in Japan on 11/21/2000, so this probably needs a different approach.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    The two 0's are in the year section, so does this somehow tie into something that took place in 2000?

Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Pocket Adventure are the only Sonic games to come out in 2000 (And PA came out in the US in '99). I doubt that's a connection.

I'm sure as soon as it's revealed we'll all face-palm at how simple it was.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, I keep thinking there must be a second date in 2000, but nothing adds up. Closest is Sonic shuffle (12/21/00).

Or maybe you add the 21 to the 00 to get 2001, but still.....I guess Sonic Adventure 2 came out that year. Maybe it's two dates that add up to a third date? I give up, I don't even care that much.

Even if it's figured out, we wont have a way to know if we are right..

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not sure if this is helpful, but the way they revealed the numbers so far:

The Game Grumps picture: 4 1 16 and 3 21 in different fonts.

The edited catalogue scan: 7 00

The Modern snd Classic Sonic video: 3 21 00

The Madeon tease: one way to see it was adding up the track numbers the image was referencing, which is 41. Could be that there are other hints with the image though.

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've googled six ways to Sunday, I can't find anything relevant on March 21, 2000. Thief 2 came out, I guess...?

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I kind of wonder if you can manipulate the image Aaron posted about the poem for Arin and Dan (Game Grumps), where some text is faintly visible from the second page. I tried a few simple things in a program and nothing seemed to have any shot at being legible. https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/679464036136648704

There was also the term "MARL" randomly on the whiteboard in one of the older Sonic account tweets which was replying to Arin, which I doubt plays into anything, but just to make sure we've collected everything together. The image already had a little puzzle in it (the term DANKMEMEZ" can be derived from all of the capital letters in the text document.) https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/662070041706299392?lang=en

So with those two (likely non) hints gathered, my Googling has also returned nothing to do with 3/21/2000, 7/21/2000, 10/21/2000, or 4/21/2000 (the last two derived from 3+7=10 and 7-3=4)

EDIT: "Keep it secret, keep it safe" is the 7th track from Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, where Gandalf tells Frodo to keep the Ring safe. (Source: Here) :tinfoil: We did have those 2 rings, and the number 7 in that edited catalog image. :tinfoil: :tinfoil: The term Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe was used in the same image from MARL. :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Someone get me back on track, lol. I would assume we've been given enough by now to work something out, I just wonder what.