don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The current theory is that it was a leftover from some kind of event in that area SEGA held.

2. His mouth is on the other side of his face and that is irritating me so much...

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Winter_Olympics
    ???

4. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Duly noted. I think it'd be wise to follow your advice particularly given everything he posts is notoriously unreliable and unsubstantiated. I think ultimately because we're rapidly approaching the time frame where real news about the anniversary game/games is going to be coming I'm getting a bit ahead of myself desperate for news regardless of the source. I'll wait until something confirmed and real comes along from a reliable source before posting anything else and then we'll at least have something real and concrete to discuss. At least real news about the anniversary should be close on the horizon now. Excited to see Sonic Team's game.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Perhaps, would that olympics site be anywhere near the Mie Prefecture?

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    No it was in a completely different part of Japan, but that's the best explanation I can come up with :eng101:

You could probably find it on street view and cross reference from there - the only information I could find is that it existed in 2009, and it was still quite weathered:
    [​IMG]

p.s. does anyone know why the Japanese can't take photos? Everything I find is always these low quality crappy JPEGs that look as if they've been taken with 15-year-old equipment. I've spent a lot of time looking for crap for Sega Retro, and you get these blogs with sub-640x480 resolution shots of things, auction sites where you can't really see what you're buying, and virtually nothing taken before the year 2005. I get that Google probably isn't the best search engine to use for Japan, but Fujifilm, Sony, Nikon, Canon - these are all Japanese companies that invent cutting-edge photography equipment and yet they never seem to be put to use in their home market.

There's a bazillion Sega Worlds and a whole heap of Sega-related things dotted across the country... and yet I can never find photos. Weird, man.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The weathering suggests its been their since the 90s, long before Generations it has nothing to do with that.

Tracker stems to think that its in Nabari in the Mie Prefecture. anything SEGA related or was SEGA related around there?

8. TrackerTD

TrackerTD

Dragon Land is Screaming! Member
    My main guess is there's probably a small Club SEGA in the area or something. The Streetview suggestion is a good idea, I reckon.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, so it's not 2015-new.

Oh well, at least it's still post-90s "neoclassic" Sonic art. I hope they're still keeping around whoever made the designs for those t-shirts, because they looked amazingly cool and on-model.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Or was, the area looks very remote. if their was a club SEGA it may be gone now.

Do we have a list of Club SEGA's that have existed and still exist?

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Don't know how it is nowadays, but for years, internet quality in Japan was kinda crap, hence the prevalence of text-only sites and all. I'd imagine the habit of small photos keeps from those times.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A quick search on Streetview for roads in Mie prefecture - even limiting it to Nabari - reveal it's something of a needle in a haystack. We're going to need some more info if we've got any chance of finding this.

It does look like an Expressway though, here's an example of the E368: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.6027703,136.1698894,3a,75y,235.29h,73.45t/ (drag and drop onto it)

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah we need to find a road thats commonly used by motorcyclists but its also scenic, he was out there to not only test the endurance of his bike in those mountainous conditions but to do some scenic driving.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hogfather wanted someone here to post this from SSMB:

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Most of that's sensible but I'm not so sure on the avoid-major-roads thing - if you look at a lot of Japanese minor roads they're single track, and the one in the shot plainly isn't.
    <p>&nbsp;<p>
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWp_8NJUEAAK2u0.jpg:large>
    <p>&nbsp;<p>It does look like it's by a valley or large dip, so a road that runs around the edge of one?<p>&nbsp;<p>
    A very good point there about keeping the location secret if it IS found - I suggest if anyone does somehow luck onto it they PM staff about it rather than post publically, at least until such time as we can figure out what to do with the information.

16. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Apologies if this ends up being complete nonsense, or has already been debunked/laughed at, but this is the first I've heard of it. I'm not sure how solid the evidence is that there's going to actually be a 25th anniversary game (apart from 'quite likely'!), but Johnny Gioeli's official FB page just kinda... Casually mentioned it like it was nothing?

[​IMG]

He sounds relatively sure that it's going to be a thing at least. No clue how much info really gets to him though. He may just be making assumptions based on what fans may have told him. Either way, some food for thought.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You'd have to be pretty deranged to travel to a relatively remote region of Japan to steal a nearly 20 year old statue for giggles.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Someone should go find that statue and take it. Fix it up and preserve the thing.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    and p.s. if it does get damaged...

There's plenty more undocumented Sega crap out there.

There are many Sega Retro pages to be made:
    http://segaretro.org/Sega_Retro:Todo/Venues
    http://segaretro.org/Hi-Tech_Land_Sega
    http://segaretro.org/Club_Sega
    http://segaretro.org/Sega_Arena
    http://segaretro.org/Sega_World_%28Japan%29

As far as Japan goes, I think I'm the only one who's cared up until this point? :v:

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey it's that thought to be relatively new classic Sonic art that popped up a few pages back. Wonder how old that art actually is?