don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode III cancelled according to Ken Balough

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Falk

Falk

maybe the punchline is sonic 4 ep1/2(/3) can't be returned

cuz is digital download only

2. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    It makes me sad to think that with the cancellation of EpIII ends pretty much any chance we'll get another 2d game.

As flawed as Sonic 4 was, it was still awesome to be able to play a new 2d game.

I'm hoping we'll get a Sonic 1 remake for the 25th anniversary next year. Although I guess that's a discussion for another topic.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic Runners is a 2D game. :v:

And I doubt that SEGA won't attempt another normal 2D Sonic game at some point, just not sure if they would in the near future.

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member

Never say never. We'll definitely get a new 2D game of sorts at some point down the line, especially because unlike something like Metal Gear Solid, the idea of a 2D Sonic has never gone away, and it's the majority consensus that the 2D games were the best. I've not done any figures, but anecdotal evidence at least suggests that a lot of people consider at a basic level 2D Sonic Good, 3D Sonic bad, and that Sonic hasn't been good since the Mega Drive. Also sales of Sonic games have been on a decline for a while and SEGA will be keen to keep their cashcow milking, so at this point they may be willing to try something different. Whether we'll see the series have a full 2D reboot a la Rayman I don't know, as this would upset the people who are wrong think SA2 is the best game ever.

I have no doubt that it will happen eventually though, but chances are it'll be digital/mobile to keep costs down because "lol no one likes 2D". Sonic 4 Episode 3 was shitcanned essentially because by Episode 2 the general audience and the gaming media had gotten over the novelty of Sonic having a fully 2D game and could concentrate on the fact that they weren't that great, plus it was billed as being for the oldschool fans, and we pretty much all hated it. Commercial and critical response was mediocre at best for Ep II, and the hate coming from the fans was bad PR.

For the TLDR: we'll get a 2D game again, maybe for the 50th anniversary or something, but it'll happen.

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sonic Boom? Shattered Crystal was 2D. :v:

I know what you mean though. Another 2D Sonic game for consoles. I mean... there are 2D sections in Lost World and Rise of Lyric, but we're most likely thinking a full 2D game, preferably with slope physics.

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So, did anyone manage to make a backup of this before it went private?

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Well, you're probably directing Episode 3, since you're solely responsible for Episode 2, right? Can't you just upload the trailer to the SEGA account?

You monster. I'll never forgive you. Let's grab dinner.

8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I was pleased with this trailer.....as it was just as vague as the real ones....with the exception of showing a running Knuckles.