don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    It's interesting to see the treatment the SatAM intro got in different languages:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFKmeIvfX1g[/youtube]

The Arabic version even has some extra harmonies that actually sound good.

2. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I still think the English version sounds the most fitting of them all, but fuck, that German version was actually terrible. Sounded like a couple of tone deaf drunks trying to put words to music. Never heard anything so flat and monotone in my life, it's actually embarrassing.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea, Arabic version would be best version if it were in English. Or if I spoke Arabic.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Holy shit, that German version is awful. They sing like Colin Mochrie, which is a bad thing.

5. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    That is correctamundo, see yourself in the download that's provided in this topic [HERE] :eng101:

6. Xilla

Xilla

The German version is amusing!

"SONIC! The devil's similar to shite! SONIC! He's next to shite!"

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Not sure if this has been noticed, but I'm currently on page 219, watching this video:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1zU_7sBf0[/media]

And I've stopped at 7 seconds, and seen that the Labyrinth Zone has a background that is similar to the final, but fades to black and back in to the norm as the waterfall section scrolls, and there's missing blocks in the walls unfilled with just black visible behind them.

Not heard about this already, so have I just noticed this?

There's a slightly better quality video (but darker) here on YouTube.

Oh, and a crappier quality (but brighter) one here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS04L9Uclhw
    As you can see, the background is actually different from the final, it doesn't have those pig and bird faces and the bricks are more randomly put in.

I can't find any better quality, so these'll have to do.

They're different from the original screenshots we have which are archived on SOST:
    http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_1/lbz/index.htm
    If you're worried about SOST remember it's been cleared of the viruses for some time now, and is fine to click.

8. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    This apparently is the Italian version of the SatAM intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExzPUR21MyI

The thing that gets me is that I remember seeing this exact intro from off one of these really old (Real Player format) videos of SatAM I downloaded many years ago. I still have them kicking about somewhere. They're all in English with no foreign subtitles. At the time, I thought "I don't remember this variation of the intro, is this potentially a pre-release version". If this is indeed the Italian version, I do have to wonder if the Italian version was the first one they worked on and used it as a template for the other language variations. Because no other intro emphasizes on the sound effects as much as the Italian version does.

9. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    This image appeared on tumblr yesterday, from the VG Junk blog:

[​IMG]

The description says "Sonic the Hedgehog from Megadrive Fan magazine".

I've never seen those prototype screenshots before. Unfortunately the image isn't very high quality, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I wonder if we can track down a higher quality scan.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    We do at least know where did that page come from.

11. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I remember reading years ago that the intro's sound effects were louder during the first season and toned down for season two. I've always assumed the version you posted was used only in the first/pilot episode, at least for the English version. Compare its vocals to one of the unused opening themes:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7QLRCIFQdw[/youtube]

Same singer in both songs. (The final version clearly uses him too, just in a toned-down performance.)

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Something tiny.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This level in Strider (Genesis) reminds me of this section from Ice Cap zone.

13. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Yeah, that's like Sonic 2/3 and Rocketknight.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Something even tinier: Both of the main character palettes in Strider and Sonic 1 are so similar that you can put them in the other game by just changing the color order.

[​IMG]

=P

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I don't know if this has been found before, (it certainly wasn't on ORKAL's s3k glitches and oversights video, not entirely) but in Hydrocity Act 2 if you purposely don't get the checkpoint, go to the end of the crushing wall section and have the bg switch to normal, use tails to open up the doors, go all the way back to the original checkpoint and activate it, drown, go through the wall crushing section again and.....the background doesn't update. You can play the entire act with the background as a glitchy mess, as long as you don't activate a future checkpoint and die.

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Nope. I believe you just have found a brand new glitch for a 2 decade old video game! :specialed: This is so obscure and not hitting the starpost right at the start of the act is so hard and takes so much effort, that I don't believe anybody has found this glitch before.

17. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Hey, talking about that, I just found something I made a loooong time ago (sorry for the shitty "trademark") :

[​IMG]

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    An important thing to note there, is that Rocket Knight was made after Sonic 2 but before Sonic 3.

19. Here's a weird Sonic Advance screenshot. It's either a mock-up or it comes from an early build. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been posted yet:

[​IMG]

I scanned it from the March 2002 edition of Multi Consolas, a Portuguese gaming magazine. Here is the full page.

The same screenshot appears in a different edition of this magazine, but I can't remember which one. Sonic is out of focus there too, so I don't think the screenshot was cropped.

This appears to be the segment in Neo Green Hill Act 1 where you run really fast along the road. My experience with Sonic Advance is limited, but right off the bat I can spot a few oddities:

• I don't remember there being palm trees this close in the foreground.
    • I'm pretty sure that wooden rail never appears.
    • There aren't rocks in this segment at all.
    • The background is different.
    • The bushes lack flowers.
    • There is no HUD and Sonic is too far to the right.
    Feel free to correct me on anything.

20. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I believe that screenshot is from the very first Sonic Advance video to ever be released. Unfortunately I can't find the video anywhere online now (I'm determined to track it down though, it needs archiving). If I remember correctly, it was what looked like an auto-demo; a very short video of Sonic running along and then going off the edge of the screen, like in that screenshot.

EDIT: It's not the video, but as close as we might get for now (unless my memory is wrong and the video was never released, only the screenshots and description - it WAS 13 years ago...) http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_advance/promo/index.htm