don't click here

International Badnik Contest

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    The badnicks? LOst Library or Tile Layer Pro/TilEd would be you best choices.

2. Flare

Flare

actually MSPaint is great! "What your crazy" No, I made my one in MSPaint, as long as you know ms paint very well you can create great sprites

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yes. Paint is actually great for creating sprite art. After you're done, you can simply transfer your work to TLP or something similar.

I create ALL my level art (see sig) in paint before I put it into the ROM.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I like GraphicsGale better for drawing MD style art, simply because the palette is so customizable. I can suit it to my needs, then transfer it into the ROM. Very helpful.

Everybody has thier personal preferences though.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    One of the best, IMO, is "Promotion". To bad it cost money and apparently there is no crack for it.

6. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Personally, I prefer Multimedia Fusion for designing art, but that's just me. Like Tweaker said, everyone has a personal preference.

7. Lil Dude

Lil Dude

Pending Member
    Multimedia Fusion's Sprite Editor is just a revamped MSPaint, no?

8. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    No it's a lot better than MSPaint. You can have anything up to a 32-bit palette (millions of colours, but I can't remember how many) in which 256 show at the same time at the bottom. Everything can be fully animated so you can get a preview of how it will look, and you can even add certain properties to the sprites to get an idea of how they will act in game.

9. I envy those who have the skills to participate in this contest..it's something I could never do, mainly because I just don't have the patience. =P Good luck to all of you who are participating in the contest, can't wait until the concept art is released.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You have more than two months to submit anything, so there's no excuses for anybody not to try at least. =P

11. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    Nice, but please, don't advice the deadline with only a week before it.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Funny, I was just about to announce it...

DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 30 2005

or so

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Awesome, I still have time to enter then. =P Thinking up original and feasible designs based on animals is harder than I thought, so hopefully the introduction of a deadline will get me more motivated.

14. Angnix

Angnix

Pending Member
    Michigan, America's Hand... with no fingers!
    Ummm... random image and FAQs stuff sometimes...
    Reading this topic for the first time... that's my problem, and the link for the LOst Library program does not work for me... on the other hand this sounds fun... very fun...

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Don't worry about that, you can always start drawing the graphics and care about the tiles/color stuff later, then adapt your graphics a little when you finally know how to.

16. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    And if you do have an idea for a badnik (or any object) that you'd like to see in a ROM, tell me. I need ideas. :P

Just remember that I can't do art, so that part's up to you.

17. Oh GOD that sketch means more to me that just about anything in the world. I hope I can pull this off considering I don't have a ton of know-how in terms of Sonic technical works. I'm an artist, hence why I WANT THAT SKETCH! Let's see...pallets...levels...is there a good hacking untility I can use for this, or should I just grab a pallet from a Sonic level and study how some of the badnicks move?

Anyhow, I'm happy that after the contest we'll get to see the pictures anyway. I don't think I could live without knowing, when the one thing that I've constaintly asked my self is "What about Genocide City Zone?"

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They say GraphicsGale is good for this kind of stuff. I suggest you to read the whole topic if you want to see what other people are going to use. Also, read the rules fully to see what you should do with the palettes depending on the games you choose to work with.

You just have to make the graphics, so I don't think you'd need to do that.

By the way, it would be kinda funny if everybody but three people forgot about the contest by the end of September. They could submit any crappy works as long as they followed the rules and they'd win the prizes anyway, teeheehee.

19. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Shut your mouth, you're blabbing my whole plan to the world ;)

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I don't plan on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.