don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Hey, here's an odd question. Can anybody tell me which issue of Sonic the Hedgehog Ristar had a cameo appearance in?

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Issue #50.

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Thanks a bunch :)

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Because they killed off the arcs entirely thats why. they wrote themselves into a corner and decided to hit the reboot button softly. now were in the middle of some new arc with only minor relation to the past one.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like they could have wrote themselves out of said corner easily if they tried. I mean just how much of what was there was related to Penders anyway? All of it beyond Mecha Sally?

6. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I'm willing to give a cleaner slate a chance. If we use this opportunity to start more or less fresh and build from here and the book ends up better for it, so be it. If we find ourselves in the same situation as before, then we have a big problem.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Basically without Jeff St. John or Elias the King Naugus arc wasn't holding together, and with Penders characters being removed by the issue the crossover was pretty much a god send to Ian since he can just pin the blame on the arc being written out of existence by the Genesis Wave.

As for the Mecha Sally arc, don't know why they decided to just throw that one out since it was just about concluded.

8. I'm sad about
    SatAM Robotnik is gone. Well, we saw them both in the flashbacks. I'm confused about both versions of history existing. When this is all sorted through, will we be left with SatAM Robotnik in the past? I really, really love SatAM Robotnik, both from a design standpoint and characterization from the show)

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    More Spoilers!

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

You guys mind explaining what you mean by these. The "SatAM" Robotnik being retconned stuff?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In the issue Sonic starts remembering, as he says it, new "old" things. Like he remembers them happening about the same but the details are all fogged up. In this case, and from what I'm getting from the way the panel was drawn, Sonic's original memory of SatAM Robotnik meeting old style King Acorn is being replaced by a very similar memory of Genesis Robotnik meeting new style King Acorn. It's hard to say from this issue whether or not SatAM Robotnik is truly dead, but given Ian's and probably Sega's desire to Sega up the comic universe post Genesis wave 2, I'm willing to guess that in this new reality, while the events of the old comics are still canon, Genesis Robotnik is going to be where SatAM Robotnik used to be, effectively killing off conehead Robotnik the dark.

12. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, today I went to my comic shop and picked up issue 252. It was good, but was obviously paced a bit slower than a normal comic due to it being a jumping on point and having to establish what the characters are doing and where they are. But even with that in mind, I felt like Flynn wasn't at his best in this issue. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I enjoyed all the other issues I read since I started at 226. This issue has been the weakest of the ones I've read. The person who did the pencils this issue was Evan Stanley, who has done some work in the comic before. When I saw her pencils I was a bit thrown off, for lack of a better phrase. Not to say she's a bad artist, but some panels and facial expressions just looked off. I'd still recommend this though. It's a good issue, but I wouldn't honestly say great.

So, what did you guys think of this issue? I know the Penders case is really affecting the comic, but I hope Flynn finds a way to make all the restrictions he has now work.

13. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    The last time I picked up a Sonic comic was issue 75. The World's Collide crossover got me interested in seeing what happened to Sonic's world after Eggman shattered chaos energy. I actually like the "reboot" they did by revamping the history of Sonic's world to be somewhat closer to the games. It was a little bittersweet seeing the SatAM version of Robotnik/Eggman getting the boot, but this is easily the best thing to happen in the comic in a long, long time. I actually want to see where they go from here.

After reading summaries of the previous issues, it kind of felt like a cop-out. I can still see why this reboot happened, given Ken Penders' legal case with Archie.

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh hey, the world's in pieces on the Universe cover.

[quotename='Ian Flynn']Concerning the solicits: these fell under the rare occurrence where things weren't 100% nailed down before the solicits were sent in. Diamond Distributors wants the solicits way in advance. So somewhere along the way, I guess some signals got crossed.

So just a few clarifying points:
    - no Aquatic Ruin Zone (the rest is on target)
    - "Shadow the Hedgehog" has happened. A lot has already happened.
    - The Last Story is the single most solidly canon aspect of the game, and that's what I'm working off of. I would very much like to go back and tell the comic's version of the game. There's a lot I want to get back to.
    - No Black Doom
    - Yes, Black Arms
    - Yes, it's a Black Comet

As for the rest, I leave it to your wild speculation.[/quote]

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Aquatic Ruin Zone? Oh the genesis wave. Interesting that they're going to incorporate more Sega locales though, they've already done Launch Base, Collision Chaos, Stardust Speedway, and White Acropolis IIRC (Excluding the Genesis arc), but we're probably going to get a lot more now

EDIT: Whoops, guess no Aquatic Ruin Zone. How'd they get that in there in the first place then?

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    If SHTH already happened (thus confirming that game adaptions have happened from the Genesis/fuckwhatever universe and were meshed into this one, probably writing out the old adaptions as well) then how is the black comet still around? unless Comic!SHTH didn't blow up the comet at the end and just flung it out to space.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    EDIT: Ignore. Now I'm confused. If Shadow happened, but the Black Arms haven't come yet, then what the hell is going on.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Well, at least two members of the Black Arms can use Chaos Control. What's to say another can't use it to avert the Black Comet's destruction?

Or at least, there's another Black Comet, since the Black Arms have enough "vessels" to go toe-to-toe with the Xorda and it would be stupid to not have a replacement ready in the event of the comet's destruction. Not to mention...
    [quotename='Ian Flynn']
    - Yes, it's a Black Comet
    [/quote]
    A, not THE.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah I did notice he did say "A black comet" meaning that this Black Arms could be a reserve force. probably to be dispatched if anything happens to the main force.

But the comet was supposed to be 1 of a kind wasn't it?

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Was that ever established? I mean, I could get the implication since the games always called it "The Black Comet" and how it always came around every 50 years, but I don't think they ever said definitively "there is only one in existence". Don't quote me on that, though, there might be a line somewhere in Shadow the Hedgehog that I missed saying so.