don't click here

.hps maker

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GenesisFan64, Nov 27, 2012.

1. GenesisFan64

GenesisFan64

The bright side of the dark side. Member
    So, now since is possible to load GameCube games from USB or SD on Wii, have you ever wanted to put custom music on Melee or Kirby Air Ride?

Well, I made a simple "tool" (technicaly, it's a crappy 68k asm file)
    Here.

Note: this thing requires "dspadpcm.exe", you'll need to find the Wii SDK for that
    + - or if you are too desesperate to convert music, PM me for the files.  

Guide:
    • Get Audacity, any version is fine
    • Open the song in Audacity
    • Click on that arrow on the left (the one with the song name), then separate the song to mono, you'll get 2 channels
    • Then do multiple export, set the output folder to /dsp/ and click on Export
    • Now rename those files to LEFT.wav and RIGHT.wav
    • Click on run.bat, wait until finishes converting, you will see the new files: LEFT.dsp and RIGHT.dsp
    • THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: IN BOTH .dsp FILES, PAD THEM WITH 00's IF THE ARE TRIMMED, otherwise the song will crash in-game
    • Open main.asm, you'll see:
    Code (Text):
    1. Samples     equ 14694912
    2. SampleRate  equ 44100
    3. Blocks      equ 257
    "Samples", put the number of samples of the song
    "SampleRate", self-explanatory
    "Blocks", this is the interesting part, you have to guess the value to make the .hps work correctly (since I don't know how to calculate it), put a random higher value, like 400

Now open build.bat
    If you get a lot of Zero Length errors, low the value and try again.
    If on the command line window you can see the last sucessful converted block, copy the ID to the number of blocks and build again

If you don't see any errors, here you go.
    (but if it's at first time, high the value until you see the zero length errors, and keep looking for the last sucessful converted block, just to make sure)

you'll see the file output.hps

The file is also playable in Winamp with the vgmstream plugin
    and for some reason the .hps file will loop wrong on winamp, but it will work fine on Melee.

Enjoy.

(Sorry, I don't have more time for a guide to insert it on Melee, find a tutorial somewhere)

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    And this is why the "proper" Wii scene needs to get the dildo out of their ass regarding backup loaders.

Edit: Wait, "crappy 68k asm"? I know the PPC is made by Motorola who also made the 68k but if anything 68k was actually related to this in a substantial way then kudos to you.

3. GenesisFan64

GenesisFan64

The bright side of the dark side. Member
    N-n-n-n-o, I said "crappy 68k asm" because this thing isn't even a .exe program/application or something, it's just an asm file.
    there's a real .exe aplication called hps_insert, but the diference is it requires a valid .hps file to modify.

4. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Just wondering. Still, this is something that I guarantee the "proper" Wii scene won't ever embrace, simply because it relies on some sort of backup loader or other way to boot commercial games from non-original media.

5. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Wow, I wouldn't know where to start with this tool but I will be sure to read how to use it and will get around to using it eventually.

This is incredibly weird, considering I have been replaying Melee the past week and searching for ways to insert a custom soundtrack.

Spooky