don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel'12 - Released with OST

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Falk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Robotnikclause

Robotnikclause

Banned
    Travis AFB, California
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Game Gear
    This fangame is fantastic. I've spent the last couple of days trying to get through.

The soundtrack sounds very much like something I would expect from an original game. It's unique, catchy, and in this case, perfectly captures the feel of the levels. I'm disappointed that the highlight of the re-release was just an OST, but I suppose the somewhat improved graphics are easier to look at. I've also noticed some changes in the gameplay and little bits of level. They all seem for the better though.

I was really disappointed that you removed the ghost effect from the running animation. It was so cool looking.

There was also more glitches than I would have liked as well. But, I do think this re-release is better than the original no matter how you look at it. Good job!

2. Ajavalo

Ajavalo

Cáceres, Spain
    enjoy everything
    LakeFeperd (or whoever can answer this), I have to ask you about the black orb thing Tails faces in his boss fights: What is it, what is his purpose in the story and what happens to it at the end?

3. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    Thanks guys ^-^

@Ajavalo
    pretty much the same as the eggrobo.
    it doesnt have a name or anything important in the story, it's just there =P

@Falk
    instead of fixing glicthes, we can build around them =P
    something I do quite a lot.

4. Falk

Falk

SONAR x1 Producer Expanded upgrade ($10 lol)
    3 sets of guitar strings
    a set of bass strings, 4 9V batteries
    Izotope Ozone 4
    Zero-G Vocal Foundry
    Vengeance Club Essentials 4
    Vengeance Massive Trance
    Vengeance Massive Dubstep (:O)
    Mojo Horn Section
    Symphobia
    Symphobia 2
    Cinebrass Core
    Cinewinds Core
    LA Scoring Strings Lite
    Heavyocity Damage

You know how in the history of video games every generation has had an 'omfg that looks so real' only to be blown away a few years later? From Resident Evil to FF8 to FF10 to CoD4 to Battlefield 3 to stuff on the horizon like Watch Dogs, and so on and so forth. There's a line of analogy to be drawn between that and sample libraries - every few years people come up with something even more realistic - a decade ago we had GPO and everyone thought it was the greatest thing ever, then libraries kept outdoing each other. I think aside from being 100% serious at a career, it's come to a point in time where the libraries really are that good/realistic that investing now is going to have insignificant differences compared to what comes after. For me, at least, technology has overcome that 'uncanny valley' for libraries. Hence I've invested quite a lot in the past year.

edit: Also I'm still pretty amused at how a lot of my peers say "gee, you sure do splurge". While they're sitting there on their macs with the latest and greatest new shinies from Apple and AVID and I'm sitting here with my $800 PC from years ago.

5. endy

endy

SO thats what those horn sounds are from. I really thought they were of a pretty decent quality, same with those strings. I might have to check them out some of those VSTs sometime. Thanks for the insight on how the soundtrack all went, I can definitely tell you guys put a lot of heart into it. I've had it on constant rotation in itunes!

6. I really loving the new OST to this game and the game it self my only issue is... I keep dieing in Tails water stage it seems for some reason I can't even collect the air bubbles sometimes when I'm drawning tune is playing. I gotten a lot of game overs from it in some areas. >_< And to note its the Second Act of the stage for some reason.

7. KgZ

KgZ

Herp derp Member
    Sonic After the Sequel
    Even though I wrote the music for that level, I can't help but feel somewhat responsible of the bubble glitch =(

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I do like this, though personally, I think it's the level graphics that needed the work, not so much the music.

That and the occasional low quality sound effect which shouldn't be there (surely there are clearer rips), are the only things holding this project back these days.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Hey guys, I have a present for you.

[​IMG]
    Sonic Before the Sequel '12, for OS X (10.6+), complete with the glorious new soundtrack.

Download here!
    Important note: cutscenes do not work in this version due to incompatibility with the ActiveX Flash player used in the Windows version.
    If you have issues, please extract the game from the DMG to your Applications folder.

10. Falk

Falk

As a companion to the above, the game sorta is fully playable without the cutscenes (though you're missing out on Lake's humor) but since the ending fights are a little hard to enjoy without context, here's the final battle on top of the tower plus what happens next *MASSIVE SPOILERS*.

oh btw
    butt out :V

11. KgZ

KgZ

Herp derp Member
    Sonic After the Sequel
    I'm not afraid to throw down as a trial member buddy.

Guess Who, I tried the link but went it attempts to mount I get a message that says there's a problem with the disk image. When I open it anyway, the icon appears only and then crashes after 5 or so seconds.

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Mounts fine for me under Mountain Lion. Make sure to extract the app from the DMG before launching (don't run it straight from the DMG).

13. KgZ

KgZ

Herp derp Member
    Sonic After the Sequel
    Sorry guy, no dice. I'm running OS X Lion 10.6 currently. This what I did when I tried again- I unzipped the file and opened the .dmg. While checking volumes, I got the said message above yet selected the option to open anyway. Once mounted, I extracted the app and threw it on my desktop. I opened the .app and the icon appeared yet nothing happened. Then it crashed.

14. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    Yeah, I'm getting the same problem here.. xD;;

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Looking in to it. Just to confirm: OS X Lion is 10.7, Snow Leopard is 10.6. What version are you guys running under? Let me know from your About This Mac screens. As I said, I've only tested it under Mountain Lion (and had one report of a test version I made working under Lion).

16. KgZ

KgZ

Herp derp Member
    Sonic After the Sequel
    Sorry, I got mixed up. :v: My laptop which I'm testing right now is on Snow Leopard, I'll try later on Lion when I get back home on my Mac Pro.

17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    In the meantime, I updated my post with a new download link. Please redownload and see if the issue is resolved.

18. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    Downloading the new version now.

In my case, I run with a Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4. I guess I should be okay?

EDIT: Almost there!

[​IMG]

I think this is all there's left.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Like I said - don't run it from the DMG, extract it to your Applications folder.

20. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Ottawa
    WORKS LIKE A CHARM! 8D Thanks a bunch!