don't click here

a tricky little question here.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by WyraachUr, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyraachUr

WyraachUr

Dark Dragon God Wyraach Ur Member
    ok. you may be familiar with this little situation. I know I am. How many of you have tried and failed to get the level select menu on Sonic 3, WITHOUT using a cheat cartdrige such as Action Replay, Game Genie or Gameshark? I can NEVER seem to activate it, and I am quick at pushing the buttons. you just have so little time, between the SEGA logo screen fading and the SONIC 3 title screen. its almost impossible! how many of you out there have tried and either succeded or failed on getting the S3 Level select open? I am curious, as I can never get in without using either a savestate or a cheat cartdrige!

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I have tried numerous times and have, in fact, been recently successful twice. I suppose the difficulty of getting the cheat to work is forgivable, since it affects save games.

3. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    The S3 level select affects savegames? Never happened to me.
    Anyway, I got it about three times on the Genesis hardware, but I haven't tried it since I got Sonic & Knuckles, because I don't want to lose my locked-on progress. Even though I could just play it on SMC until I got it back :P

4. Kles

Kles

S&K uses a different cheat all together.

5. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    I've done it a few times.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It enables debug and level select. Not only can you apply debug to the savegames for easy progression through levels, you can also, I believe, start a saved game and do the A+Start reset, and then select ICZ on the level select, play through it, and get LBZ as the level in the saved game. Shouldn't affect S&K savegames or anything, and in normal use won't cause any ill effects. It just makes it possible to skip levels.

7. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    I can do it occasionally, my success rate is probably around 1:3.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    You know, I've never done it right. Although I haven't tried that much, it's just so damn near imposable. It's probably one of those things you could get down with practice.

9. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    I can sometimes do it...certianly one of the hardest codes to get working. You just have to pull it off quickly. I once tried using an action reply and it wiped all my saves, which I wasn't very happy about. <_<

10. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    I've never been able to get the cheat to work in Sonic 3 alone. Actually, that'd be a clever little feature to add to a MD/Gen emulator - the ability to over/underclock the speed of the console. Anyone want to poke Stef or Steve Snake about this? =)

11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I'm sure Gens lets you adjust the clock speed, it's how that "S3&K in 15 mins" or something was done.

12. Seven Force

Seven Force

Eggman has seized Mobeuis! I wonder what's for din Member
    Not in the standard Gens, but it does in Movie Gens. There is a feature to slow down execution by 50% to 75% respectively.

13. Didn't LOst make a fairly in-depth explanation a while ago about how the code is based on the rhythm of the button presses as well as the speed? I'm pretty sure he made a video too.

I still couldn't get it to work though. :P

14. Seven Force

Seven Force

Eggman has seized Mobeuis! I wonder what's for din Member
  15. Logan

Logan

Pending Member
    Cisco Networking CCNA2
    I have only done this once and it was on my sega genesis 1yr ago

16. mc1228

mc1228

I've been able to do it a couple of times, but it takes forever to get it to work

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Wow. There's a much easier way, but you need Sonic 2. Load Sonic 2 up, and enter the level select code. Then, when you press "Start" on the sound test thingy to make it restart. When it's restarting, quickly yank out the sonic 2 cart and put in the Sonic 3 one. It works every time for me. (Oh, and, after you insert the sonic 3 cart, you have to press down twice at the title screen.)

Sega probably made it intentionally that hard because they didn't want people seeing the unfinished level select crap.

Oh and, the sonic 2 and 3 thing works because it keeps the level select data in the RAM, and it just happens to be the same.

BAM!

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  19. Knuckles Chaotix

Knuckles Chaotix

Pending Member
    Doesn't this work in S3 alone?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No.