don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Falk

Falk

Probably should have kept the reference to Metropolis Zone just because, but hahaha wow.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Cute. No, that's not going to happen. They'll add a finished "Good ending," give the red rings some functionality, and add some extra related to them (What that extra is I haven't the slightest idea). I mean, I'm going to buy the game even though I have the beta. I've played it enough that I probably should at this point (probably beaten it like 5 times) so it's safe to say I like it. Unless it's photoshop (which I no longer have to pirate), I usually don't go the pirate route, but this beta was a nice try before I buy.

They're not going to delay the game because unlike Ep 1 there is no real reason too besides the fact that its short, which of course it is due to the stupid episodic game crap. The game plays pretty good, it looks nice, and while there are a few glitches here and there its nothing that couldn't be fixed from whenever this beta was compiled (did anyone ever figure that out btw?) to when the game is done. Ep 1 leaked and everyone was in an uproar. Ep 2 was leaked and for the most part people were at least ok with it. Is it perfection? No. But it's a hell of a lot better then Ep 1.

3. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    We all know that Taxman said about 100 pages back (and in response to the interview that SegaBits did with Ken Balough that I uploaded to YouTube) that The Retro Engine can work with games like Sonic 4 Episode 2, so... Has anybody managed to try swapping Dimps' physics with The Retro Engine's physics? Because if we were able to put Episode 1's physics into Sonic Generations, then I'm sure we can do the same thing here with The Retro Engine and Episode 2.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    How would one even go about doing that?

5. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Answer: you wouldn't. They're entirely different engines, you can't just copy and paste physics like that.

And nobody ever put Episode I's physics in Generations, either.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hey guys, does anyone have a 100% finished save for the beta 8 leak? I haven't seen one around.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Not to mention, I don't think anyone can put ANYTHING in the Retro Engine, period. It hasn't been released :v:

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I'm sure Taxman mentioned the Retro Engine is a very different beast in that it was mainly designed to be used for porting sprite based games to loads of different hardware systems like 32bit consoles such as the Saturn and that there's are no tools for doing HD 3D graphics. That's not to say it wouldn't be possible in the future but it would require time for him to build it.

9. Felik

Felik

Are you retarded or something? Beta is "free" only because you pirated it. You might as well pirate the final version, it will make no difference.
    People who preordered it will get it anyway without any need to pay extra money.

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

So has anything been released about what version of the iPod/iPhone the game will work for? Seems like it should work with the 2nd gens but games lately have been ignoring that version more. Sonic's always been quite good to it though.

Like yo mamma.

Seriously though. Cut the crap.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Come on, use your head. What logical reason would they have to purposely give Super Sonic Ep1 physics?

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

...What logical reasons did they have to give Sonic Episode I's physics in the first place?

We all know Super Sonic is nimble, he can change direction easily, he accelerates at lightning speed, he stops quickly. It doesn't really take much to see that the EpI physics allowed this.

Anyway, it's not like I've said everyone else is wrong, I'm just saying what I think will be the case. I've backed it up with logical reasons, and I'm not standing for any dickery from some guy who thinks he's funny by posting short sarcastic comments barely relative to the discussion. This shit wouldn't be taken from anyone else, they'd be banned.

Anyway, we'll see in 12 days, I doubt they've fixed anything, the game seems perfectly fine to me.

13. dsrb

dsrb

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to explain their, and my, position—but let's stick with the petty squabbles for now.

Is it supposed to be me who should be embarrassed by this latest quip?

You're the one carrying it on by making thinly veiled passive-aggressive comments, not me (for once!), which is really what makes it entertaining guiltily irresistible in the first place.

Speaking of which, I just noticed that you felt the need to carry on doing just that in your next post:
    Get over yourself! Banned? Really? Sharked, perhaps, which would just save me from having to read your posts—but whatever! Keep wishing you had any more power or standing here than I do, I guess.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    There are none. That's precisely what's trying to be conveyed to you. Ep 1's physics were broken at the god damn molecular level. It makes no sense for them to deliberately break the physics when you're Super Sonic.

I am losing my mind. Ep 1's physics were made that way to make playing with an iPhone easier. They didn't "allow" for anything!

I'm sorry but your reasoning is far from logical.

I'm not even touching this.

15. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Was planning on buying the iPod version of this, knowing it would be cheaper than the console and PC versions. But then my iPod was stolen. Which means I have to spend way more money on this game than it deserves if I want to play it.

Shit.

16. corneliab

corneliab

I don't think so. Your "argument" relies on a gameplay element (Super Sonic being able to quickly slow down) being reinterpreted in a new way that is difficult to accept given the circumstances. Here are the facts:

*Sonic 4 Episode 1 was marked by all midair momentum being lost once the player stopped holding any given direction.
    -With respect towards all other mainline Sonic platformers, this was an irregularity that naturally earned the game some disdain
    -As a platformer in general, it was unusual for momentum to be handled in such a way

*Non-super Sonic in Episode 2 now demonstrates midair momentum in a way that is more consistent with the series.
    -this implies that Episode 1's handling of midair momentum was deemed inadequate internally

*The manner in which Super Sonic's midair momentum diminishes in Episode 2 is identical to what happens by default in Episode 1.

*In past games, Sonic and Super Sonic have never demonstrated such an inconsistancy in how their midair momentum is handled.

*Episode 2 appears to be built from and off of Episode 1.

It is easy to see why people would view Super Sonic's newfound behavior as something that does not belong. Regarding your thoughts, there is a heap of evidence against the idea that said behavior is ultimately intended and a feature in itself.

You are outspoken to the point where I doubt that there is anyone who agrees with you.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The bottom line is that episode 1 was the textbook example of porting done wrong. They fixed it with episode 2 (in terms of general physics and not device/console optimization.) The problem was actually bigger, yet more simple than we thought. Going from Wii to iPad made a world of difference for me. Believe it or not I now fear having to over compensate with the more classic style momentum this time around. I initially thought the touch and tilt play was retarded, but with these devices, it works much better than the shitty virtual d-pad.

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

We'll see eh?

I don't think SEGA are going to fix it.

19. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    From this discussion, am I the only one who thinks Super Sonic having the ability to stop in midair and "aim" a speed burst in any direction (as opposed to the current physics) sounds pretty fucking cool? :v:

Personally, Super Sonic was pretty broken in Sonic 2, at least to me, because of how hard he was to control. It was like having a speed power-up all the time which I guess is the point, but it made Wing Fortress more of a bitch. I don't think SEGA should take cues from some of the Genesis functionality of Super Sonic because of that; at least, not the insanity of the perma-speed. Just my contribution of debatable importance. :specialed:

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If you found Super Sonic hard to control in Sonic 2, you will definitely find him hard to control in Episode II. It's so much harder to make jumps because of how fast he is and the no-momentum thing really throws you off when you're used to regular Sonic.