don't click here

Hello

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'd like to announce that every Sonic game's music is now as editable as Sonic 2's music. I have also ported the entire Crackers Soundtrack to both Sonic 3 and Sonic 3D blast. Individual ports are as easy as copy and pasting bewteen 3D, S3 and Crackers, as long as they are in the same order. Then all you have to do is fix the drums, because they are different between Crackers ans the other games. The pointers are all found, and none can hide from the Tweaker.

I suppose I have continued saxman's work. Sonic the Hedgehog, consider yourself owned. kthx.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh boy, this is neat.

Now that the music format has been properly dissected, is anybody willing to send these guys the documentation so they'll make a plugin for their player? We could extract each of the music tracks as well as the sound samples (just like in the disassemblies) and then add a small header that specifies which sample should the music play when it finds certain offset, as well as which MD sound driver should it emulate (for other games that would be supported in the future).

We don't need any more GYMs or VGMs now that we can play the original music data just like the real thing!

EDIT: By the way, would you release a Sonic 3 & Knuckles mod with the Sonic 3D music, pretty plz? Don't worry if the music doesn't fit, that would be easy to edit. :)

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Holy crap, you predicted what I just finished. I have all the music implemented up to Flying battery, which doesn't play because stuff was overwritten. that's about as far as I could get by simply copying and pasting though, although I may be able to squeeze one more in. I'll upload it to my crappy webspace in a bit, and edit this post with the link when I finish.

EDIT: Here you go ICEknight. It's only Sonic 3, but you can just lock it on. The pointers are difficult to deal with, but I may finish it, someday... :P

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ouch, "bandwidth limit exceeded" when I was at 99%! =(

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Gah, dammit. I'll upload it to my alternate webspace.

Here.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Wow, that is extremely well done. Great job.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's pretty cool, thanks very much!

8. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Wow! You are good! Very, very nice job!

One question: can you create others musics? I mean, including one from another game without overwriting the original musics of the game. That's because I made another intro sound in wav format (like the "SEEGAAA" sound) under S2. Then I must overwrite the "SEEGAAA" sound in order to use it. The problem is that I want to keep the "SEEGAAA" intro sound too... Do you see what I mean? ;)

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, I do. What you would have to do is find an empty music slot, and use its pointer to point to your new intro sound. I havent really messed with the sound effects, but I'm pretty sure it should work. However, there are restrictions as to where to put your sound. I know the restrictions for Music is F8000-FFFFF, but the sound effects are before F8000, yet the Sega sound effect is at the end of the ROM. So I'm going to assume (just guessing here, not sure if it will work. Havent tried stuff like this with the final) that as long as the sound effect is in the range of F0000-FFFFF, you will be able to point to it and have it play. There may be some reprogramming involved, but that's not my area. You would have to find a shitload of empty space though, which I don't think is available in that range. There should be enough free space in the beta sound driver though, if you are interested in using that. But then that wouldnt fit with the theme of the hack, etc. You are best just overwriting the old Sega sound, although with work it is possible to have two of them. Hell, it's even possible to have the game play raw PCM for the game music, but then there are the space limitations. Its all about the space limitations, really.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe you could downsample the SEGA sound and make it play faster, so you'd have some free space to use.

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    OMG

I have seen so many people trying to hack the music like this with failure.

Good work!

12. Kampfer

Kampfer

It's a great hack, and I love it!

EDIT: Gah, I want level select, but I can't get the damn code to work!

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  14. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    There is obviously not enough space in this range. I have an idea (two ideas), but I need more informations about how musics and sound effects works.

The best is to find if there is a way to change this range. What I need is a maximum of pointers and offset indexes. With them, I think I can do something. For example, I can't find where the SEGA sound pointer is located. I guess this one is a relative pointer, that's why it's difficult to find.

The SEGA sound is already very small. ;)

I need both my new sound and the SEGA sound. When you start the ROM, you have now a Shadowsoft Games logo that show before the SEGA logo. I put the Emerald sound for it, waiting for a way to put the original Shadowsoft Games intro sound instead. I know that's a detail, but details are what make the difference between a good hack and a very good hack. ;)

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Awesome. That was easier than porting S2 music to S1 though :P (yes, yes, I suck XD)

17. Kles

Kles

Sonic Crackers music fits quite well in Sonic 3. Great job.

18. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Now if you can write a tracker that outputs Sonic-compatible tunes, you'll be fully elevated to the level of "Sonic Scene God". =P

19. Kles

Kles

If you can do that, I'd say you'd have a higher rank in the musical hacking scene then Saxman.

20. Man I know nothing about hacking techniques, but I sure do have respect for people like Tweaker. Nice job man, we are proud to have you around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.