don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Same palette as Super Knuckles?

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's the same palette as those little nebula things right? or it's part of the levels palette since it uses little colors

3. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Amy uses another palette line, yeah; and what palette line changes depending on whether it is SCZ (and where on SCZ it is) or WFZ. The real question is really about the Tornado -- it (without Amy) plus the players (and discounting the green eyes/shoes and transparency) add up to a total of 17 colors; and the Tornado uses a single palette line. That is the real question.

4. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    [​IMG]

You bore me, kind sir.

5. flamewing

flamewing

France
    You missed the other half of the clue :-)

(but you caught the easy part)

Although I have an idea that I am working on that may render even that line overly simplistic if it works.

Edit: as it seems, emulators don't emulate what I was intending, so no need to bother with it...
    Edit 2: Scratch that, they do, or S3&K would look wrong.
    Edit 3: I was right, it won't work.

6. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    FFFffffine

[​IMG]

It's hard to look for something if you don't even know what it looks like or if it exists at all!

7. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, I have been having some second thoughts about the huge life icons. I still like the round icons, and I will use them anyway for other things -- such as the save screen -- I am just reconsidering them for the game itself -- they take up too much space, and interfere with the game on some locations (such as Death Egg). And I still like the round icons.

I am thinking of going one of the following routes:
    1: [​IMG] 2: [​IMG]

3: [​IMG] 4: [​IMG]
    4 is the status quo; 3 shows which character is being controlled at a glance. In terms of difficulty to implement, 1, 2 and 4 are identical in code (small changes in graphics and mappings, and new portrait orbit data, which is generated by spreadsheet anyway), while 3 requires a few extra DMA transfers whenever the leader is swapped (and more work on the orbits.

Your thoughts?

8. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I say number 4, they aren't as big as the other ones, they are in a size that fits with the screen and they're really cute too xD

9. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    While I rather like 3, I think having the icons shaped in a triangle is more fitting for the "Heroes" theme. I'd go with 2 if you absolutely must resize the icons, but otherwise 4 works fine.

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Definitely 4. Since this life icon is actually more than just adding some aesthetic effects, it's necessary to have them in an eye catching size.

However, I like the idea of 3, being a pseudo-3D design like it was in the real Sonic Heroes. Combining 3 and 4 would be the most awesome solution.

11. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    3, definitely. However, I would also suggest moving both it and the top part of the HUD 8 pixels to the right, because it's a bit too close to the edge right now. I would also consider making the HUD numbers flat white, maybe with a consistent outline.

EDIT: Something like this (I'd need your raw screenshot to make a decent mockup):

[​IMG]

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Why not a mix of 1 and 3? HAve the selected character use a larger icon sat upon the pyramid

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

5: [​IMG]

14. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I'm with ICEKnight suggestion. 5 for sure. :)

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I will definitely be using your font for the lives counter, and will definitely move the ring count to the position you suggest; as for the other numbers, I will try it out and see how they look in-game.

That one fixes the problem in most bosses, and mitigates it on the remaining bosses. I like it; definitely consider it on the run.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I actually like 3 the way it is. As for the flat white font, not my preference, but what do I know?

17. null1024

null1024

3, so much. Looks better, although if you had it set up where the the 2 small portraits were above the big one, that would also work pretty well.

18. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I have been trying to come up with some good options-screen icons for the four different game modes (Sonic 1 only, Sonic 2 only, Sonic 1 & 2, emerald run). For Sonic 1 only and Sonic 2 only, I have been thinking of basing them on those from the Sonic Compilation (but smaller); for the emeralds run, an icon made up of emeralds would be easy to make. That would leave the Sonic 1 & 2 icon. Ideally, the icons would not be too big; 24, 32 or 40 pixels in height would be best, with the width being more variable (maybe more horizontal than vertical, with the text beside the icon instead of below).

I thought of following the progression and having an icon with all 3 characters for the Sonic 1 & 2 icon.

Any suggestions?

Here is the icons from the Sonic Compilation for reference:
    [​IMG]

19. Emerl

Emerl

Way back over here:

Pink Knuckles?
    Although I might be derping and missing something obvious, or just missing the point completely..

As for the symbols, perhaps change the "SONIC / the hedgehog" and "SONIC 2 / the hedgehog" to "SONIC 1 / heroes" and "SONIC 2 / heroes," if you get what I mean by that.
    As for 1 and 2, maybe just have "1&2" really close to each other on the side? (Where the 2 is in "SONIC 2 / the hedgehog," I mean)

20. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I think the pink Knuckles is actually just Super Knuckles (as he flashes between red and pink when he's Super), that's all; he'll not be permanently pink, lol!