don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh yeah, I would ADORE a mode wherein you play through the whole game in one time zone, without any past or future signs. I mean, hey, this is the Retro Engine. Shouldn't be too hard to do. Being able to do the Zone 3s in the past or present would also be cool, though that would probably constitute a bit of new level art.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I didn't see these when skimming through this topic, but if they are, sorry:

- Life glitch: Get 100 rings, extra life, travel to another time, get one additional ring, extra life, repeat.
    - Running animation speed variance: Nothing big, and I've noticed this through all of the Retro Engine games, Sonic's running animation doesn't speed up the faster he goes, like he does when spinning. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd assume similar code could be used from the spinning speed to have this effect.

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Extremely minor cosmetic bug: when you teleport to another time while underwater, Sonic's sprite during the animation will use his underwater palette (and I think the stars do, too).

4. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I suppose it can't hurt if I add this here (see below). It has to be something that only happens with a very specific setting, because very few people seem to have seen it so far, but for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing it, and I've tried virtually everything. I've heard of HTC Desire owners running it at full speed though, so I guess it has to be possible to run it normally somehow. It's pretty frustrating anyway :/

5. I got a pretty gameruining bug.

- If you're drowning, then you get crushed before the countdown is finished, the countdown continues. If it runs out before the screen fades, you "drown" and are locked out of any sort of controls, forcing you to shut down or restart the game from the XMB or whatever the 360 uses.

Tried to replicate it in the original just to make sure it wasn't some sort of carryover, it wasn't.

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just to add to this - I mentioned this in the original release topic before this one existed, but this behaviour also happens if you get a Time Over before the drowning countdown finishes - it's the one major bug I've run into on my otherwise fine playthrough so far.

7. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I don't know if anyone's pointed these out yet, but:

-While the Sonic CD-style Spin Dash is enabled, the characters' speed doesn't increase right away after getting the Speed Shoes power-up.
    -Despite choosing the U.S. soundtrack, the Bad Future theme still plays during the Metal Sonic race.
    -At Palmtree Panic Act 2 (Past), going through the spin tunnel causes Sonic and Tails to get stuck in the foreground while traveling back into the Present.

8. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hahaha, I thought of that as more of a feature than a bug. You're saying that the bad future track still plays during the race even when you're in the good future, right? I just figured those tracks were more appropriate for a race with Metal than the normal music. In the original, I never liked having good future specifically because the music was so much less epic.

9. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Yeah. Normally, switching to the Bad Future song during the Metal Sonic race was supposed to have been exclusive to the Japanese/European releases.

Personally, I thought the U.S. Good Future track was just as epic as the Bad Future one, because of it having the same fast-paced nature and everything. I think that's precisely why the original U.S. release was set to play the default stage music in the first place; because of both songs being fitting for the race, whereas the Jap/Eur Good Future song was only fitting for the stage's starry environment.

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hm... yeah, I can definitely agree with that sentiment. I do like the US Good Future, and it does fit. And I'd never heard that the track-switching like that was in the original JP/EU release; that's interesting.

11. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    From the other topic:

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Finished the game on Christmas Eve and only encountered one definite bug and one further potential bug - not sure if it is or not, but thought I'd post it here in case it isn't intentional behaviour. For the record, these are from the X360 version.

I was going for a complete run-through with all machines/holograms and all time-stones to get both the relevant achievements. However, on the Special Zone after Metallic Madness Zone 2, I screwed up and couldn't pause in time to quit the Special Zone before the time ran out, meaning I botched my only chance at getting both achievements on a single playthrough. To this end, once I'd completed Metallic Madness Zone 3 and defeated the final boss, I decided to delete my save and start again so that I could have a save with all Time Stones in the first save slot. I started a new save as Tails in the second slot, then deleted my old save and began a fresh save as Sonic in the first slot. However, after doing this and playing the first Zone or so on each save, I decided to enter the Time Attack mode in order to attempt the achievement for beating Metal Sonic with no damage taken, as I figured it'll be a while before I get back to Stardust Speedway in the course of things. When I entered the Time Attack screen, I discovered that although I'd completed the game and Tails had unlocked correctly, Metallic Madness had not unlocked itself in the Time Attack menu. I thought I'd post about this in case it was intentional behaviour - in which case, presumably, I should have entered the Time Attack screen to unlock the stage before deleting my save - but I was a little confused that it didn't auto-unlock on completion of the stage, or on returning to the Main Menu after the end credits as Tails had seemed to.

That's the potential bug - the definite one was that I had the same experience someone mentioned earlier about the game claiming they'd made a Good Future in Palmtree Panic Zone 1 as Tails when they'd done no such thing. I think that was posted before Taxman posted about having fixed a lot of the things mentioned up to that point, though, so it might not be worth bringing up. Thought I'd mention it just in case. To add a little more detail to this one, though - it didn't actually count as a Good Future anyway; I made one in Palmtree Panic Zone 2 to test whether it actually counted, and ended up in the Bad Future version of Zone 3.

Aside from these and the one bug I mentioned earlier, it's been a bug-free playthrough for me. = ) Looking forward to going through it again, both to get all the Time Stones as Sonic and to complete the game as Tails. Hopefully at some point Taxman's bosses will approve of a patch so that these minor bugs people have found (and the speed cap oversight when using SCD physics and Speed Shoes, which IIRC is the only major bug I can think of) can be fixed.

Well, that and Desert Dazzle/Final Fever completed as a DLC add-on pack, but that's probably pie-in-the-sky thinking. Would be totally awesome, though, especially as the unfinished work on them will only go to waste if left incomplete. If only there was some way of letting SEGA know there was demand for this...!

13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I ran out of breath time and died here and after the game over song I was stuck looking at this still-animating screen forever.
    [​IMG]

14. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Do the raw MPEG2 files for the Sonic CD intro and ending from Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems happen to be kicking around anywhere? I want to do an experiment. I have all three versions of the game somewhere, but no good way to pull the video from the Gamecube version. (And I never played Plus enough to know if the intros ended up on there, actually...)

EDIT: This has to do with how ghosted the ending movie is, and how weird the framerate is for the videos in general, so it deals with bugs and possible fixes.

15. Try looking at this: Sonic CD DVD

You probably don't want to convert the DVD-Video itself but it does contain other files on the disc and IIRC that includes the post-processing and pre-conversion videos the author used.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Omg I know who did that! His username is Thebuilder he ran soniconthe.net (later renamed to soniconthenet.org). it was a torrent site / message board that replaced s0nicfreak's tracker when it got shut down. unfortunately he lost interest in running the place and the tracker shut down, had some good memories there. he showed me W.I.P. builds of that DVD project he really did pour allot of effort into it.

Good guy, I should ask him what he thinks of this 2011 remake when I see him on messenger again.

[/offtopic]

17. I am really enjoying this Sonic CD Retro Port!!! Just wish they could patch the opening and ending music for the JP soundtrack, its nice they did a melody thing but for someone who never played it with the JP soundtrack (which after playing it I can't justify listing to the US one ever again, except for Sonic BOOM) I hope Sega can find a way to do an update and put back "You can do anything" and "Cosmic Eternity."

Also they need to fix Metal Sonic's eyes....... they are not grey.... it should be red......

18. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Tried to get the Statue Savior achievement on the iOS version using Tails. Nothing happened, regardless if I found the Past or Bad Future statues.

Is Tails banned from getting achievements?

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Yep

20. dsrb

dsrb

AFAIK, it's not a mistake or whatever that can be fixed simply by a patch/update: the vocals were removed because Sega could not get the rights to them—so unless the timing was just really bad and the license expired right before this was made or something, if they haven't got them by now I doubt they're going to in the future.

Yeah, this has been reported, and Taxman said he'd try to read all this stuff, so he probably got it already. Never hurts to make doubly sure though, I guess!