don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Sun

Sun

That is actually unintentional. In the original, the background would load awkwardly upon dropping back into the indoors area.

2. Dehry

Dehry

Ohio
    Well, I was able to trudge through on my LG Optimus S (AKA LG Optimus V,T,M,etc. It's the crappy phone your cell phone company gave you). The trick is to delete all social network widgets, force close social networks, and turn off sync. That made it run at an acceptable rate to play the game. I had an odd glitch where occasionally the music would stop altogether after restarting a level and it would not come back on until I went to the android home screen and back. This is the first time I've not finished with all time stones, but it has more to do with slowdown and touch pad controls. My main complaint with the game is that the time travel takes longer to happen. Many of my favorite spots to travel became useless with the extra time requirement forcing me to find double springs. Great game. Definitely getting on Steam (and 3DS e-Shop :tinfoil: ) when it comes out. Tails looks like he will be fun to play as, but seeing that it is 3:25am local time, I'll be getting some sleep.

:eng101: Protip: The back button functions as a jump button, so you can get some tactile response on android.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Awesome game, really wel done on the iPod! Kudos to you, Taxman! Only gripe is the special stages seem harder, Sonic is floaty and doesn't feel as nimble.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Am I the only one who dominates Special Stages now? I've always sucked at them but I own at them now.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    My GOD, I really hate some of Sonic CD's level design.

Gaaah. It's not all bad. It's just... too reminiscent of Sonic 1 with the volume turned up. Levels are like labyrinths sometimes, with elements that fling you out of control and some really, REALLY cheap traps that knock your rings right out of you (I'm looking at you, Stardust Speedway.) Levels are designs for exploration first, and don't lend themselves nearly as well to a flowing, skill-based gameplay style as Sonic 2 and onward tend to. And it's just incredibly frustrating and, to me, downright BORING to wander through these massive, sprawling levels looking for the badnik generators and struggling to hold onto my rings.

Wacky Workbench might be my least-favorite 2D level in the series. Seriously.

All of these level designs add up to make what could've been a real masterpiece into just a pretty good video game that only occasionally feels like what a Sonic game should.

Which is a shame, because everything else about the game is top-notch. Both soundtracks are epic, the art design is amazing, the controls and physics are perfect, the bosses are unique, and the special stages are some of my favorites in the series, in spite of their insane difficulty.

And I know there are plenty here who would disagree vehemently with all this. And I'd actually be interested in how many of them like "modern" Sonic games. Because Sonic CD is just about as far in the opposite direction as you can go, and in my opinion, it's way too far. Modern Sonic, when it's done right, is all about skill and timing and reaction, while Sonic CD lends itself much better to exploration.

Like I said, it's still a good game. And Taxman did an AWESOME job with this. I'll still buy more copies, I'm sure. I just always wished Sonic CD's level design let me play the way I prefer to.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Probably! I've got amazingly fast times on the Cube and PC versions, and I can do 'em all flawlessly on those. The iPod version seems to give Sonic too lengthy a jump, and too little time to turn around. Makes it really difficult.

7. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    If you are having issues with downloading this on android, make sure to turn off your screen timeout. so far it is working for me!

8. Ashura2k

Ashura2k

Thants. Oldbie
    Same here.

I hope all of this day 1 bugfix stuff doesn't come off as complainey, Taxman. I think the general sentiment is we're helping you if you choose to continue working on this, so you'll have a list of stuff to work off of. Luckily these bugs seem pretty small/weird.

That said, phenomenal work! Your engine is damn near perfect. Physics spot on. Custom menus are fantastic. This is the treatment Sonic deserves. I should have bought you a drink when we all met up at Sonic Boom :P

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I got to play this a bit, it really plays so perfectly smooth.

It's too bad that those two extra levels didn't make it into the game, that would have been really amazing. The shot of that dust hill type level looked so perfectly Sonic CD style.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    We'll all buy him a drink next time. Even if we have to wire him the money.

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    DUDE! In Time Attack, Amy isn't at the end of the Metal Sonic race; a flower capsule is! So you don't have to stand around trying to get Amy to hug you! AWESOME!

12. Flygon

Flygon

Just a drink? I'd buy him a slab!

13. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Ran into a weird glitch in the Android version. I got all the time stones and then went up to stardust speedway. Went to the Good future parts for the first two acts. Then on the third act, threw me into the Bad Future. Reloaded my save to check on the stones, still have all of them, but still went to the Bad Future. What gives, Tax? =P

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Just thought I'd point out that I actually really like the vocal-less Japanese ending music. I think it worked out very well.

Can't really say the same about the intro though, which is a shame. I'd have figured Sonic Retro would have been flushing out more accurate alternatives (I mean, it only took a couple of days for those Sonic 4 remixes to surface).

The loops are lovely though - is that (US) Tidal Tempest present loop based on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air by any chance? =P

15. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Ok, so with Android downloading problems people have been having:

The server was being hammered at the time so we've had problems accommodating everyone. The bandwidth has been increased so hopefully everything should be working now!

16. Just bought iOS version. Cheaper than I expected... I may have to gift this to some friends.

17. Tanks

Tanks

Oh well... Just enjoy the fact it lagged so hard I got charged 4x. Can't be assed to file a complaint so consider it a gift. :P

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Livestreamed Sonic CD as Tails a couple hours ago.

Ran in to a bug in Tidal Tempest Act 1. Seems like the sort of thing that might also be triggerable with Sonic.

Also, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but man the hitboxes on the UFOs in special stages seem TINY. If you watch that archive all the way through, there are a few times in special stages where I basically pass right through some of them (I do a special stage in Tidal Tempest Act 2 where this seems to happen multiple times).

Not sure your capacity to patch the XBLA version, though. I hear Microsoft is a bit stupid about that stuff and charges money for it.

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Thanks for pointing these out, I'll look into the UFO's and sort out the Tidal Tempest tube. I'm keeping track of what's been brought up and doing the best I can.

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    The UFOs in the Special Stages have ALWAYS been like that, and I credited it more to Sonic CD than to Tax's engine. Admittedly with the higher framerate it's a lot more noticeable, but I've always had trouble with Sonic blatantly passing right through them on the edges.