don't click here

Shout! Factory's DiC License is expiring

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kiddo Cabbusses, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Their final sale page says it all. And said sale ends tomorrow.

I assume there were at least a few people who were waiting on these because it seemed like they'd be around forever; I was one of those people and I'll probably miss my chance on getting these. So, this is a heads-up.
    The Nintendo stuff is up there as well, by the way.

This will probably have no effect on the bajillions of "Singles" going around as they are from a different distributor.

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Gonna be a shame that these aren't gonna be sold anymore.

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Keep in mind, it's only Shout! Factory's license that is expiring. Cookie Jar Entertainment still owns the rights to these shows, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them release box sets themselves, or license them out to a different company. Now, it's extremely unlikely that we'll see the exact same sets, since Shout! Factory probably owns the rights to any aspects of their own creation (such as the dvd menu authoring), but I wouldn't be surprised to see new box sets for these shows appear in stores in the next few years. Heck, maybe we can even get nice large collections, like a box that contains ALL of DiC's Sonic shows in one package.

I don't claim to know everything. It's entirely possible that the shows are never on DVD again. But my point is that this is merely the end of one licensing deal, not the show as a whole.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Damn...I want everything on that page except Super Mario World, Captain N, and C.O.P.S.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I just bought SatAM Complete. Awesome.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That's rather depressing....I was hoping my partner was going to buy me AoSTH DVDs eventually... At least there's youtube.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I daresay that copies of these will still be floating around shops for a while. I hope so, anyway - I've yet to pick up the Christmas AoStH/SatAM hybrid, that's the one gap in my collection.

How will this affect the Region 2 distribution, if at all? Same people or different?

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, at least these have been ripped and now we have not-VHS ripped quality episodes online. That's excellent as far as the preservation effort for these shows goes, no?

Shame I can't afford the other two AoSTH DVDs.

9. I recall finding old DiVX-encoded Vols. 1 and 2 of AoStH, but not Vol. 3. (Although the Chaos Emerald Saga and Sonic Christmas blast were ripped from "The Fastest Thing in Time" and the Sonic Christmas Blast DVD, respectively.)

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I believe that I have a "permanent copy" of this in the form of an AVI file I "borrowed from the internet" years ago.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Oh, I've got an AVI. I just want a proper disc of it.

12. Agobue

Agobue

I know that in the UK, Delta distributes some of the Sonic series such as AoStH and SatAM. I purchased a copy of the AoStH boxset which contains every episode excluding the Christmas one and although it was nice to have, the quality of the episodes were absolutely abysmal. I contacted someone who used to work on the show and he said that they probably just used bad masters. For those who don't know, it costs alot more to use the original clean master and it's much cheaper to use a copy.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I have that DVD set - it's not even that they used bad masters, some episodes still have the original tape identifiers on them!

[​IMG]

14. GHFan

GHFan

/\
    I
    That's just lazy.

Anyway, I already have the complete SatAM box set, so this doesn't really effect me. The rights could go to someone new, or (more likely) they'll just sit in limbo forever, being mercilessly bootleged and pirated for always and eternity.

15. Agobue

Agobue

Yes, but notice the date, 2004. The original would have said either 1993/1994 (depending on which episode) so obviously this is a copy from the master.

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

Honestly, I didn't find the quality of the DVD to be bad at all, way better than the recordings that were going around the internet before the release of them.

17. UptoCamp

UptoCamp

I'm actually glad for this, I may swap out my set for whatever Cookie Jar puts out because I hate the Shout! version of the Saturday set. All of the fan art makes it look like a DVD-R bootleg.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying there are other issues as well. =P