don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I'd like I4 best if the 0000s in the score were solid as well. The difference is slightly jarring for me.

Also, the super icon looks alright, but the ring around it blends too much with the icon itself; it seems like there's too little contrast between them.

2. I'm going to vote I4 as well. I prefer it over I3 because it's easier to tell how many rings you have at a glance.

3. Afr0Blu3

Afr0Blu3

UK
    My vote goes to D2. I just don't like having separate colours for numbers that haven't reached yet. Also, I don't see any need for a ring counter that goes beyond the triple digits.

4. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    yes, use the Super Sonic icon, and for the HUD I say I4

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Honestly I vote for something with a cleaner look.

[​IMG]

This is the layout that I think would look best.

6. Deef

Deef

Yes to the Super Sonic icons. The other characters get theirs too, right?

HUDs:
    · I strongly think it's better to not have leading zeros for the rings, since ring count is a value that is always rising and falling, as opposed to the ever-increasing score where the player permanently works to fill those zeros. Eliminates rows 2 and 4.

· If score has leading zeros, definitely have the zeros fill up the row. Eliminates columns F and H.

· I strongly prefer the right-aligned ring count. Eliminates remaining columns C, D, G and J.

· I think the more spacious HUD looks nicer. It looks more like 3 things to observe and less like a table of data. A fullsize screenshot would be better for judging this difference I think. Option I4 looks very data-fied. Compare it to option A1 and the feeling is quite different. Eliminates remaining row 3.

This leaves me with only row 1, columns A, B, E and I. My next points aren't so important to me.

· I'm happy either way, but I slightly prefer the leading zeros on the score. The grey is a nice touch imo.

· I think milli-seconds create a bit more clutter than they're worth, as I don't think the accuracy will have any practical use. I can see people preferring to have them however, and it's not a huge bother to me, but I would say E1 looks better than I1 because of this difference.

Final vote:
    1st - E1
    2nd - A1
    3rd - B1
    4th - I1

Note: However even with option E1, I think the ring count should not have leading zeros at all. Not even grey ones. Rings just aren't that kind of quantity.

7. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I will have to see how it looks in-game to see if it looks good enough; the static colors simply don't show it very well. But yeah, contrast is one of my main worries in this one.

Edit: On any case, here is a comparison with an alternate icon:
    1: [​IMG]
    2: [​IMG]

There isn't much of a need since Sonic is the only one to actually change in appearance when he turns super. But I am open to the idea.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I had an idea, perhaps you could use the Sonic Heroes icon for the life icons? I don't know, something about the Sonic 3 life icon for Sonic always looked kinda ugly

9. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I seriously doubt it would survive the transition to palleted graphics well enough. But if anyone wants to make bigger* and better icons, I am willing to use them. For reference:
    [​IMG]
    These are the borders I have so far. The colors in black boxes are the standard character palette (line 0); the colors in white boxes are Super Sonic's yellowest colors, and they replace the blues in the left column.

Moreover, I have a couple more possibilities for Super Sonic's HUD icon:
    [​IMG]
    I think the fourth looks best.

10. Yes, I vote for the 4th icon too.

11. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I vote for K1:
    [​IMG]

I like steveswede's, but I'm not much of fan of the three digits, millisecs counter.

12. Deef

Deef

Oh of course yeah, the other supers are just pallete changes. My bad.

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Let me add more fuel to the fire:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The bottom right 16x16 icon is for monitors. The other icons in the bottom shows black versus white backgrounds for the HUD images. The other icons show several round borders from the previous image, with black borders, with faces straight from the actual in-game sprites (except for Super Sonic, which uses a face slightly modified from that same Cylent Nite sprite sheet I mentioned earlier; in my estimation, Tails and Knuckles look great, but Sonic and Super Sonic could be better. If anyone with good spriting skills wants to take a hand...

14. dsrb

dsrb

Those are quite good, but two things: it's a bit inconsistent having Tails being the only one looking at the camera, and can't you just do the same thing and create the Super Sonic icon from his in-game sprites?

(I also would have voted for white backgrounds over black, but I see Heroes uses the latter, so I can understand why you'd choose to do it this way.)

15. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Guess I'm a little late to suggest one of these then.
    [​IMG]

Of your latest example with the edited heads I only like Knuckles'. I think I also like the black background, but it feels a little less "classic". If you end up going with the new edited heads they should defiantly all be facing the same direction (that's why I don't like Tails' icon).

16. dsrb

dsrb

“MY OWN CLONE!”

If a consistent angle was used for all three characters, I'm not sure which I'd prefer: facing or not. Time to bug flamewing for more concepts. :v:

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Not at all; I still don't know which ones I will end up using (see more below).

The black background is to add some more contrast; the original Super Sonic icon I did, at least, looks much better with it that background than it did with the white background. If you try it with your variants (which look interesting, by the way), you will see the same thing (but remember to swap the inner light gray circle in 2 and 4 with a darker shade, such as [r,g,b]=[32,32,32]). But since it would be inconsistent to have only him with a black background, I tried it with the others as well; Tails stock icon does not look very well with that background, though, but Sonic and Knuckles look OK. So I tried some alternate icons, which lead to the other icons.

Trouble is that Super Sonic has very few sprites really his own: walking, running (flying), standing, ducking, looking up, balancing and pushing; all others are palette swaps of the frames for normal Sonic. This includes the frame corresponding to the one I used for Knuckles, from which I took the head for Sonic's normal icon; the Cylent Nite sheet I mention is this one, which expands upon the S3&K Super Sonic (if the link does not work, go here and select the fourth Super Sonic). Incidentally, out of all characters, only for Knuckles did that angle look good; and they are all inconsistent regarding facing.

Hm. I went for a closer look at Tails' sprite in question, and this is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]
    I did some slight editing in the eyes, so he didn't look like he was looking down; and I added a little smile because it was lacking in detail otherwise. All in all, it didn't turn out quite as bad as I thought it would look.

I am still stuck with Sonic and Super Sonic, though.

Yes please. The best ideas get an entry in the 'Special Thanks' section of the credits ;-p

18. Drex

Drex

[​IMG]

Just took the heads from the rotating S3K sprites and slightly edited them to fit inside the circles the best I could (Knuckles on the bottom right is flamewing's).

I like the you made. Probably looks better than my copy/pasted ones.

19. flamewing

flamewing

France
    But what I did was copy+paste+slight edit; from the same sprites to boot. Except for Tails: you took the "wrong" frame for the last two images. In all cases, I have been liking the diagonal ones better (although the frontal Tails with black background is great), and the black background is clearly better due to improved contrast. Hm. I will now see how the default "standing" faces look.

20. Drex

Drex

Doh, I knew something was off about Tails, but I didn't bother to check

[​IMG]

Anyway, I like the diaganol ones best overall as well.

I think having the standing heads as icons is gonna look tacky and overly obvious that they were cut and paste.