don't click here

Sonic Misadventure

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ArcticLeopard, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The only problem I have with the colors is that there bright. he can tone down the colors a bit and change the colors for platforms that I'm supposed to jump on.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst

I found the first level very confusing, and some parts I couldn't distinguish the background and the parts I could pass through.
    I like your monitors however, very cool.

3. ArcticLeopard

ArcticLeopard

Texas
    Sonic 1 Misadventure
    Just a little update. I gave the level a new palette, changed the art a bit, and added new stuff. It's now a desert-like city.

[​IMG]
    I changed the layout a little bit. I'm still experimenting on my background.

[​IMG]
    I finally got lava into my hack! I'll edit the crystals soon.

[​IMG]
    Here is one of two new monitors hiding in a hard-to-reach place.

4. infinity

infinity

That's a very interesting look, nicely done.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    That's a vast improvement! Before, I couldn't tell what was or wasn't a platform/wall/etc.

6. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    *cough*

+ - Kojichao  

AMIRITE?

7. Steven M

Steven M

What's Koji up to nowadays anyway?

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah I'm quite curious too. Her deviantart account has been dead for awhile but her site has a quite recent post.

Wish she visit more.

BACK TO TOPIC: I like the new pallete design but are you keeping the old pallete? there was nothing really wrong with it just too bright and hard to tell where to go sometimes due to colors being used for multiple things.

9. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Now you're talking! The improvement here is fantastic and I really like what I'm seeing. Good work.

10. ArcticLeopard

ArcticLeopard

Texas
    Sonic 1 Misadventure
    I haven't thrown away the old palette. I always save copies of my palettes before changing them. I might reuse my old palette for something else (and fix the brightness, of course), but I like the new look I gave this level.

11. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Yeah, I would change Sonic back to be honest. It doesn't fit him, so bright. Definite improvements are seen though in this second version! The glass tweak was good, however one nitpick:

[​IMG]

In this, the orb which is the center pivot point for the swinging platform still looks very dichromatic :/. Maybe change a bit of the colours to contrast the bright orange.

12. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Keep doing what you're doing dude. You take criticism far better than most newbies. Not only that, but you actually made a hack, rather than a pallete swap!

My only gripe besides the pallete is this blue rock in Geo Palace. It just seems a bit off.

[​IMG]

13. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Gaaah, how did I not reply to this sooner?!

Personally, I'd have to say I like the original palette better. If you had adjusted the 'nuclear green' slightly, it would've really helped it. Not that I think it looks bad, but I'm obviously in the minority who liked the original.

To me it was a very almost impossible kind of 'glow' to the art that was contrasted with the blue and overall was very nice and original.

IMO, the new palette is kinda bland in comparison to the explosive neon colors that it had.

Also, I don't know if I'm just assuming who markey was talking about, but I can tell you koji isn't the only colorblind person in this community. :ssh:

14. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    I actually really love the color scheme going on here, Sonic's especially - it gives it kind of a nostalgic feel. It looks kind of like an old magazine that's a bit faded - which, really, has a great appearance.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj3J_Gm3IIg[/youtube]

Don't complain about the name being different. It IS the same hack. Same guy, etc.

Haven't actually played it yet, but I just wanted to give this hack some attention. Seems things have improved.

16. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Well it does look like the art has had a fair amount of upgrade which is nice to see. The bg for that first zone though isn't particulary great, and the palette still needs fixing in places for that marble level. Ok I'm fine with an overworld, but giant rings again in another hack? can't people be a bit more inventive?. Of course if this is temporary then thats not a major problem.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Oh so THIS is misadventure? In that case, now that the contest is over, I'll share what my judging views were on this hack:
    Sadly I don't think it did =( But I still enjoyed it!

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This was a very enjoyable demo. A bit glitchy and stuff, but that's to be expected. I was sad that I couldn't get all the Chaos Emeralds though, this is one of the few hacks I've played start to finish. Very well done and I can't wait to see more.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I was ultra-bored and wanted to kill some time so I edited this screenshot into how I personally would have designed it:

[​IMG]

Here's another edit that maintains your original colour scheme:

[​IMG]

Is this level still in the hack or have you redesigned it? I hope my 20-minute Photoshop rush-job has given you some inspiration.

PS. I haven't read the most recent replies yet so apologies if I am completely out-of-date here.

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Attempt 1:

[​IMG]

Attempt 2:

[​IMG]