don't click here

Wii RAR problems

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by minichapman, Mar 5, 2011.

1. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Here is my best attempt to write something whilst combatting sleep at the same time.

While I love my new homebrewed wii, I decided to make the thing play backups as I have almost everything I need finished.
    I done some snooping as usual on the internets and found various sites with downloads. For testings sakes I used games I already have. (In my case which I shall explain include Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom, Warioware: Smooth Moves, Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics & Epic Mickey.)

My first download was off of a torrent with a complete 1 Rar of Mario & Sonic. I attempted to open the file but instead was greeted with this message "The archive is an unknown format or damaged"

I thought it could be a one off so I downloaded Warioware from a torrent but had the same message come up.

I then chose to try an alternative method of direct download from tehparadox.com. I downloaded Epic Mickey in 11 parts, opened the file and lo and behold. No luck.

I won't go into details again to save repeating myself. I used the Direct Download method for Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom with the same results.

I've figured this is closer to something I'm doing wrong myself rather than a string of bad luck.

I've searched through the web and have discovered similar results from other people but these are from 2009 with VERY VAGUE details. I've tried using Winrar 3.93 and 7-zip but no luck.

I'm coming very close to a dead end.

Ideas? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If this is either the wrong place to be posting this or shouldn't even be posting this at all just say and I'll remove this.

2. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    Try getting another program to read those RAR files. 7-zip should be able to handle them.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Wait....are you trying to open ISO files with winRAR? You sure they are actually RAR files?

Your description is kind of vague, but that's usually the error WinRAR will give you when you open an ISO.

4. minichapman

minichapman

United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Like I've said. Too damn tired.

I've extracted everything for a new game I downloaded (New Super Mario Bros. Wii) I have a file that has .iso at the end (which I should've noticed) but the file icon is of a winrar archive and the type is an archive. Would that work from the archive If still booted from USB Gecko?

Sod it. I'll try it when I get my HDD out.

Thanks anyway Rika Chou.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, just put the iso file on a usb drive and it should work.

WinRAR will recognize any file with an ISO extension as an archive, even when they're not. Good luck. :thumbsup:

6. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    This might seem like a stupid question, but how do I combine ISO files? I also downloaded New Super Mario Bros. Wii and there was like 10 parts to it...

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If there are ten parts, its not an iso, it's an archive. Extract it.

8. minichapman

minichapman

United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Fantastic news.

Through my own means and several hours of useless tutorials telling me one thing that differs from another which turned out to be totally useless I can now report that everything is a go and a greenlight.

I couldn't have done it without your help guys!

Cheers fellas!