don't click here

Sonic Loco 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tamkis, Feb 20, 2011.

Should this hack get its own wiki page?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I would rather drink a pitcher of piss than play this again. The gameplay and level design are balls, and after hearing that music my ears wanted to take a shit!

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    For what you have done right, like I said before, the springs in the tunnels was a neat idea. If you try and copy the basic feel of Sonic 2 levels (multiple interchanging routes) while putting in your own unique twists in them, you would have a grasp of new level design. My advice? Don't try to do everything at once. Do one aspect at a time - music, layouts, artwork, do that well, and then move to a different part. Look at the games. What do they do well? Why do they work? Study them and then begin anew. Putting things into the game for the sake of putting them in is a bad move - it may help you learn, but without a vision of what you are aiming for, it will turn out shit. Use this hack as your test bed if you will, but I strongly suggest thinking of something basic and do-able with your own abilities before making a large scale hack. Good luck :)

3. BlazyNights

BlazyNights

Too lazy to learn ASM since '06 Member
    Here you go, it's only the first act:

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    You've got a rounding error on your pi. You can't just chop off digits; the next digit is 5, so your 6 at the end should be rounded up to 7.

</nitpick>

5. DC.17

DC.17

a dead star Member
    I'm a little silly when it comes to this shit, so please don't laugh at this ridiculous question; Did you produce this music yourself? And if so, what did you use to do it? If it's not too difficult, for the love of GOD, I'd be glad to produce the music for you. .

6. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Well, I don't mind the difficulty... it's pretty intense... there is this one part that bothers me though... I don't like seeing ground and then falling through it as though it doesn't exist. Blows my mind too intensely for me to do anything about it.

The music isn't that bad, but its far from good. And you should definitely, definitely consider restoring the original Sega sound, because what you have there is pointless and it hurts. Literally.

Overall, I like the potential for this becoming a difficult Sonic 2 hack.

Also, when I play as Sonic alone, there's this part of the level that will have Tails fly onto the stage to join me... lolwtf how did you do that.

edit: I lied, shit is that bad. And this music has got to be troll in the form of sound waves; you pause and still hear this shit? Naaaaah, that ain't fair.

7. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    That isn't a stupid question. No, I didn't produce the original source music myself, but I ported the songs myself, using xm3smps. I also used TFI music Maker and SMSPlay for previewing the Music. Moreover, I used OpenMPT to convert the original song into .xm/.mod when needed (since TFI MM can only import .mod files, and xm3smps can only accept .xm files). YES, could you help me with the music? The orignal songs themselves are good, but the voices/instruments just need to be tweaked so people's ears don't bleed on the ported versions of the songs. Let's PM each other later.

In other terrible news... I accidentally deleted almost everything on my flash drive, where I keep my emulation and hacking stuff!! :argh: All because that stupid f*cking mouspad (the worst computer accessory EVER invented ) on my laptop had to malfunction on me and clicked "delete" and "ok" for deleting a giant folder!! My rom collection is gone, my disasm, and all of my hacking tools, gone! Not even will Recuva recover my lost data. :argh:

Luckily, I still have the backup of my music and the rom itself, in order to recreate the lost levels... for the third time :(. Lesson learned: backup your work on a different drive!!

8. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Yeah, but not if you are a programmer.

9. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I love this hack! It is hilarious! Please don't stop working on it.
    I am loving the surrealism of Aquatic Ruin Zone.
    I nearly died laughing when I reached Hill Top Zone.

I never would have guessed it would happen, but we finally have a rom hacking community equivalent to Springtime For Hitler.

10. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Don't really like what I'm seeing so far. The palette is really bad, please improve, make sure that everything fits(does the fg palette fit with bg palette, does it look harsh/easy on the eyes?). I don't like lots of pits, though theres not always pits so thats good. I don't mind difficulty, but I don't like when people do harsh things in a sonic hack, like instant death, going to fast only for the spring to take you to a spike etc, but thats my opinion.

On a positive note, I like the direction your going with the monitors, and special jump reminds of a moon jump. Sonic's so high, even tails can't compete lol. I think now I want to see you design a icon for these new monitors, you know and have a description saying 'this does whatever'.

Sorry about your work, hopefully you'll come back with something much better after taking what people have said into consideration. I'm sure with a nice sense of direction, it could be a contender amongst over difficult sonic hacks =P.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    MegaGwolf has got a few things to say:

12. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'm a lazy bastard and didn't read pretty much any of this topic yet, so please excuse if this is already answered somewhere: Is this hack intentionally bad? I mean, it's more than obvious that you didn't "try" to make it decent. And if you did, I'm not sure if you can rate between random cluttered colours and eye-friendly ones; same goes for music.

13. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    I played it for about 2 minutes. From what I saw, it seems like the entire game is other "hold right to win" or "do nothing to die."

14. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    BUMP! Version V0.12 now released! I apologize for the cruddy gameplay of the previous release; it was somewhat rushed. This version now includes rings, less "ear raping" from music, and bugfixes, and is powered by the latest verision of the S2 Disasm and SonED2! Both acts of EHZ are completely playable, and all songs have been composed (although, not all of them are in the rom ATM). See the first post for more info...

15. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    [​IMG]
    I got stuck and couldn't move, was this intentional? The layout is looking better though, didn't die once in ehz!.

16. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Haha damn dude. I guess you weren't just trolling everybody the first time.

v 0.1 is so epically bad I was pretty certain it was a hoax. This watered down version is just a run-of-the-mill bad hack.

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I got stuck in EHZ2 in the area with the floating platforms. :v: And the music is still ear rape dude, but I like the new layouts. :) You're still on the right track, but not quite there yet. Perhaps you could ask someone to help with composing music? There's plenty of talented composers here, and I'm sure they'd help if you asked. (That is if you wanted help. I sound like an ass now. :v:) But anyway, good luck with your hack! ^_^

18. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    If you get promoted to a member then send Cinoccu a PM - he's very good at porting/composing music for use in hacks.

19. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Bump again, version V0.13 is released. For version V0.13, I have fixed some more bugs, including that glitchy SEGA screen (I deleted the SEGA screen altogether, to later be replaced with a Sonic Retro screen), fixed some level layout bugs, and other things. EHZ and CPZ act 1 are complete, while CPZ act 2 and ARZ act 1 are nearly complete. ARZ act 2 is still a huge WIP. Moreover palettes have been added to CPZ & ARZ, water has been removed, and all songs have been properly put into the Rom! The Special Stage monitor now gives you 50 rings when hit after having 7 emeralds, the peelout from SCD has been added, and the spring animation from SCD has been added. The level select screen has also been modified to reflect future renamings of zones, which will be implemented in a future version as soon as I get S2TCG working for the .svn dissam. Also this rom is the first S2 rom to have modified Speical stages! The first two special stages have been modified. The second is a WIP.

See the first post for more info. Once again, because for some reason, I still can't attach things in posts, the rom can be downloaded from my blog. Images are also there.

20. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    A new version of Sonic Loco 2 is up! Comments would be appreciated, and maybe video footage.

What's new for V0.14: Finished both acts of MCZ, and almost finished OOZ1. I also created an Oerg866 SMPS Player rom so that you can preview the new music that I will implement soon. Things to do: Modify special stages, implement Music monitor, add more music into the rom (for hidden music via the music monitor, and different music per boss), fix some bugs. For some reason, the game still thinks that the Sonic 2 Clone driver is still banked; if anybody can help me fix this in order to add more music, PLEASE PM me! See the 1st post for more information, especially about the cool and newly improved whistle monitor!