don't click here

Album of new, original Sega Genesis-style Sonic songs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by KGB525, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Sonic music this is not, but it's not all that bad, either. Skyway Station is a definite keeper, Windy Wetlands is pretty chill too.

2. Some of this music sounds like it would go really well with, say, Rocket Knight Adventure.

I like the fact that the Credits are a replaying of the previous zones' music, but take a cue from the original Sonic games and give the ending of the song that little flourish at the end next time, instead of just making it a repeat of the title theme. Go listen to the title screen for Sonic 1 and then listen to the end of the credits of the same game if it helps my example. Also, don't include the boss theme. :P

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Sapphire Falls and Grand Gizmo are my favourites - they're keepers for sure. I also think that Grand Gizmo is the most authentic; I'm not sure I'd believe Masa wrote it if somebody told me that he did, but it's like 90% there.

(A lot of the grooves sound very MJ, which is cool, too.)

The pacing isn't very Sonicky, and neither is the reliance on melody*, but I think the compositions are great on their own. Not many people can throw together a competent game soundtrack like this, so you should be proud - when I was listening to it, I was kind of wishing there was a game to go with it so I'd have an excuse to hear it more!

*Sonic music tends to rely on more than one instrument buoying each other up, answering each other... I'm not quite sure how to describe it but they don't usually have a constant melody line made up of a single lead voice. Green Hill, Spring Yard, and Starlight are good examples, as is basically every song from Sonic 2. There's always some kind of horn fill or bell picking up where the lead voice leaves off, to close each phrase. It's a pretty distinct aspect of their composition.

Anyways, I look forward to Vol II.

4. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Again, I wish I had the ability to create music.

These are awesome, but a little slow. These could fit maybe, slow paced game.

5. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I was thinking the same. Perhaps a Sonic hack where there are no enemies and so the level design is purely puzzle based or for exploration...

6. You're right on. Aquatic Ruins is another great example of the interaction between instruments. Thanks for your thoughts!

7. medj

medj

This compilation is awesome. I really do like every song. Thanks for this!
    I'm looking forward to vol II.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hey man just wanted to chime in here to say that this entire volume is categorically awesome. You have real talent. Some of these tracks sound straight out of the Genesis sound chip. I'm a particular fan of Shadow Cliff (love the Mystic Cave influence). I am definitely looking forward to volume II particularly if you are going to be putting in four times more effort. Seriously good work here that shows your skills. I enjoyed listening through the tracks. Keep it up man.

PS. I disagree with some of the posters and think much of this would fit right into a Genesis Sonic game.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Wow! What a unique interpretation of those voices. I really love your original melodies and variation! Although some of the voices don't quite fit the "Genesis" feel, it's definitely closer to the style in which Sonic 4 should have been composed. I'm in the middle of listening to your playlist within Youtube...currently on Windy Wetlands. I think upping the tempo wouldn't hurt at all to allow the pace to feel more Sonic-like.

I definitely applaud your effort here because composing is hard work! I'm friending you and subscribing as we speak. It would be great to have a "Dream Team" of music composers from here, including but not limited to you, Tweaker, Moon, MaxieDaMan, and myself to have a role in the next episodes of Sonic 4.

BeforE I post this, now I'm up to Crooked Caverns....I think this is going to be a favorite of mine even though the drums are a bit different :D

I'm definitely looking forward to Vol. II!

10. Dear medj, 360, and XCubed,

Thank you so much! I could read comments like yours all day. You guys are awesome!

11. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I downloaded this a while ago and after listening to it I decided to post my thoughts.

It's great! My favorite is definitely Magma Ruins - it's so damn catchy! I can't think of a bad one among them, and they all would fit in a Sonic game. It reminds me of the locations in Sonic CD for some reason....

Keep up the great work, looking forward to hearing more :thumbsup:

12. Thank you! Volume II is about 50% completed!!

13. Can't wait to hear it.

14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Hey KGB, I'm still enjoying the hell out of your music. Great work.

15. Nova

Nova

I finally got around to listening to this earlier and all I have to say is "Wow".

I guess I could also say "Great work, I'd love to hear more stuff in a similar fashion". :v:

16. Thanks a bunch, you two!

17. Incredible. THIS shouldve been the music for Sonic 4. The originality of it feels more rich with the variety of instrumentation and longer arrangements.

18. Hey everyone!
    Sonicesque Vol. II is finished! I posted a new thread, but it was moved to Creative Works. Here it is:
    Sonicesque Vol. II is here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.