don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Egg Dragoon's QTEs were so awesome that I honestly didn't give a fuck that they were, well, QTEs.

2. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Yeah, but then they go ahead and repeat it. It's like Robotnik's such an idiot that he'll fire his drill into his vital "Fuck Me" lighted area twice because "Durr Hurr I'LL GET THAT HEDGEHOG THIS TIIIIIIIIMEEEE~!" It was cool the first time, but stupid the second time. So much for that 300 IQ level.

3. corneliab

corneliab

Wrong, it was even better the second time. The scenario is extended and you rip him from the mech. I mean damn.

4. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    And then the fight was over. A Winner is You!

Like I said, Egg Dragoon was cool, but it was such a stupidly piss-easy fight, and Eggman goes out of his way to drill himself twice. Sure, it was really cool watching Wolf-Sonic rip the hell out of his mech, but that's all I was doing. Watching. It should've been a great reward after an already challenging fight against a menacing foe, not a mad bumbling idiot.

5. corneliab

corneliab

whatever

Anyways, it just now hit me that Sonic has an animation when standing still with the drowning timer going. Nice touch there.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay finally got the game and have played through to the final area. I have to say it is a good game most definately, but a bit overrated.

The levels have a decent variation in obstacles and style that prevents it being a repetitive chore like some of the previous titles were however some elements were a bit fiddly to work with, not to mention some of them felt a bit too short and simplified. Some of these work in a mini game sense like the ones in Unleashed but it probably would have worked better in the latter's structure, ie. a couple larger levels for each zone for the main game and then the smaller ones found optionally. Sonic games seem to have a problem structuring level spans, either being too small and simplified (SA1) or long and tedius (Heroes, Unleashed Werehog).

The cutscenes while have that same cinematic animation, emotion and lushness as Unleashed, are lacking in dialogue. While even Unleashed and AoSth knew to balance the corniness and zany homour with drama and casual dialogue, this game is perpetual over the top lame one liners. It's funny in places but cringingly bad otherwise. I like Sonic and Tails have more chemistry in this one, but it is sometimes ruined by said perpetual corniness, and the fact Tails is still drearingly bland in personality.

The bosses are fun but the majority of them are over way to quick. I would have at least gone for a three hit pattern than just two. Like the levels, it's like you don't get enough time to appreciate the quality. It's over all too quick. While it's not as bad as being frustratingly hard or AI cheapness I wish things weren't tamed so much.

7. corneliab

corneliab

7.9 GameRankings? Sonic Retro review?

Where have you been?

8. My copy of the OST should be here tomorrow. Look forward to it. ;D

9. I've been checking here all weekend to see when this post would be updated by you. I got a little excited just now but thanks for the update. Can't wait!

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Here's a late Christmas present/What the Hell is Kwanzaa? present for all of you guys in the meantime.

Basically? It's the DS edit of Nega-Wisp Armor Phase 2 using the Wii's music. Enjoy!

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I love it. It sounds awesome and epic.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks for this. Sounds exactly like the DS version!

13. That's gone into my Music folder.

14. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Sounds like what SEGA did to Endless possibility for Unleashed's final boss. I love it.

15. Felik

Felik

Just tell me why, WHY couldn't SEGA include instrumental version of "Reach for the stars" into Sonic Colors' OST?
    If they weren't so lazy they would have included these 3 tracks into the ost:
    1 Reach for the stars - instrumental version;
    2. Tropical Resort - E3 version;
    3. Special Stage (DS) - HD-ficated version.

I really want to hear these.

16. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    Fingers crossed for 'Digital Remix' renditions like Sonic Rush had, or failing that, getting their database of instrument samples (again, like what happened here recently with Sonic Rush) and rebuilding the track with those.

Can you imagine if they'd included a full-quality Special Stage music track on the Wii disk? We'd probably still be picking apart the files and/or be wishing for a prototype in the hopes that the Wii version had a Special Stage of its own at some point!

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    This game is really fucking good. Only thing it needs is more use of the spin dash/rolling and I think they've pretty much perfected the way 3D Sonic games should function. They have the running down easily, now make use of his long forgotten pinball mechanics please.

18. Okay, so, I have the Sonic Colors OST and I just got finished scanning the booklet (And just about everything else), which you can find right here: http://vgmdb.net/album/21444

Lyrics, track credits and other such things abound. And now I'm off to take a piss and actually rip the soundtrack. >.>

19. Amistat

Amistat

Okay, a bit late to this whole thing but I got the DS version for Christmas and finished it up pretty quick.

Thought I'd post a few thoughts I guess...

Damn, it was so close this time.

The wisps can get lost frankly, replace them with Sonic's elemental shields to hark back to his prime and I'm sold, they're a pretty good progression of the idea and it would have really worked well;
    Fire shield - burn crap and double jump with explosions
    Earth shield - spin through earth
    Lightning shield - zap off at mega speed, rebounding off surfaces etc etc.
    Get rid of the one use on the powers, allow you to use the shields power if your gauge has some energy and make you loose them if you're hit. It would be glorious.

Or they should have gone the other route.
    The entire game I'm looking at recurring imagery of flashing rainbow colours, everything it about colours. Bright flashing, cycling colours. Then they mention the wisps contain something called Hyper-go energy....HYPER-go energy. Surrounded by flashing colours....

Hyper.

Flashing colours.

HYPER.

FLASHING. COLOURS.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY HYPER SONIC?!

Having effectively abolished the Super Emeralds, bringing Hyper back as a Super + all wisp power up would have actually made the finale memorable. I don't know if it was any better on the wii but the DS final battle was bland and basically a bit crap. :(

So near, and yet so far Sega. They seem to be able to release games with various awesome elements...but never get them all into one title.
    Some classic looking areas would be nice too. The sweets stage can bugger off.

Overall I liked it though.

20. ancara

ancara

Well, I got through playing the game, and by god I almost spit out my drink during one of the acts of Aquarium Park.

You see, when you exit the water in one part, the bit of land to the left of the little pool of water with the 10-ring in it that you jump over to reach a dash ramp thingy.......

There are 2 pots there. Take a good guess at what they look like....