don't click here

Project Sonic 2X

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by FataJC, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    I have recently been working on a sonic 2 hack for a while. I have used SonEd2 to edit the objects and stuff, but I am still stuck on stuff like music editing. I can't seem to figure out the saxman compression. My question is is there a utility I can use to port midi files into Sonic 2. I have heard it is possible but I wasn't so sure. I also need a little help with things like adding features characters, modes, etc. Upon reading the forums I am stuck on trying to figure out the code. I am not used to going into the asm files to fix stuff. Some advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Working with Sonic 2's sound driver can be a pain for anyone out there who wish to show their music creation skills, try this, and then read this.

That should help get you started.

3. Hm, speaking of SonED2, I'm trying to tinkle with the "chimera".

SonED2 is a labyrinth if you don't know well how to manage it. My own experience can tell that. I'm gonna read the manuals a bit more, but there are some things I can't figure at all.

PS: How do I hack Sonic 3K if SonED1 doesn't get to my PC (broken download link, maybe?)?

Edit: By pure accident, not much of a "on-topic post". Is there some way to delete it?

4. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    Thanks for the help I have read the second link once before but I will investigate the clone driver link. The main point I was trying to figure out was the part where you port midi files into sonic 2 because I have the midi files but can't seem to get them in. Thanks again.

About SonED2, I am not quite sure about anything with Sonic 3K because I haven't tried working with that one yet. I mainly try to work with Sonic 2 and sometimes Sonic 1. But I do know that when you open SonED2 all you have to do is go to the folder that has the SEP files in it after clicking open project and if you split the rom first with a disassembly or something then you should be able to see objects. From there all you do is click around with the mouse to find objects you want to edit. I haven't messed a whole lot with SonED1 only because I fear I have no idea what I am doing with it but if you wanted to delete it then you just right click and delete it. Also, I have not managed to mess with the tile editor yet as well for SonED2.

5. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    I have another quick question. Sorry to be dumb guy but upon reading the "How to port the sonic 1 sound driver to sonic 2" post in the How to's section I don't know what they mean by go to VintRet: are they referring to the sonic 1 sound driver or the sonic 2 sound driver? VintRet didn't seem to exist in either of them when I tried to find them. Any clue?

The reason I'm asking is because it says I can't use the sonic 2 clone driver unless I port sonic 1 sound driver first to my hack.
    Thanks...(again)

6. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Nah, I think just the opposite. SonED2 turns very easy when you figure the keyboard shortcuts. And as a second option, you could simply use the Esrael's Assembler editor.

7. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    So how good does the regular Sonic 2 tracks sound after everything is done with this sound driver porting business? I want to know because I want to import some new tracks for boss music but don't know how good the other tracks will sound.

8. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    From my understanding some sound effects will be off and you will have to fix them but then again I am new to this stuff as well so I can't be of a lot of help. So picture it as if most of the music sounds good but some needs fixing. I still have to port it first but I was confused on the post I said above.

9. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
  10. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    I went through all the steps too and I did some experimenting with the last step and I think you have to find a way to build it into your disassembly. Don't quote me on that one but I think the slightly modified sonic 1 driver is the downloaded one you get from the page. As far as I got though with that I try to build the rom after doing the last step and it says at the end that there were errors. When they say copy the data to the sonic 2 driver I opened up the sonic 2 driver and copy and pasted it in there but then the only thing I can't figure out is why it won't build if I followed the directions as carefully as I could. Not sure if I was much help but it's as far as I got.

11. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    You just described what I did. Although one of mine was going to the S2.asm and changing the soundriver to build the Sonic 1 sound driver instead. However since the music and sounds and DAC are missing it won't build. Changing them to match their Sonic 1 counterparts only bring errors. Do we even have to do this step since we are going to port the Sonic 2 clone driver anyway?

12. FataJC

FataJC

Michigan-US
    Project Sonic 2X
    Pardon me for not getting to the post for a while but that's actually what I was wondering as well. I think it's confusing myself. I will hopefully find someone who can help with this one because I think we are getting nowhere if both of us are new to this. I do understand that the samples and sounds are probably missing but again going back to what you said I'm not entirely sure if you need to do the final step if the sonic 2 clone driver is already done for you. Sorry I wasn't of much help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.