don't click here

Another Sonic Storybook game: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SomeSortOfRobot, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I have no problem with incorporating public domain literature into Sonic games.

I do have a problem with not being able to enjoy myself due to confusing, unorthodox, seemingly unresponsive, and unnecessary controls.

So yeah, echoing what's already been said: I like the concept, I don't like the game they built around it. Heck, I really liked some of the environments they came up with for Secret Rings, but all that was rendered moot by how frustrating it was.

2. ah2190

ah2190

That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean, you can make great enviroments for your game, but if the controled are as *Navied* up like *Navi*, hardly anyone would enjoy playing it. SatSR is a prime example of that in effect.

So, if they do make a third Storybook game, they need to take three things in mind:

1) Make sure that the story is easily adaptable so that Sonic and co. can fit in. SatSR was ok, but SatBK was spoiled with the true ending. I agree with Amy on that one - it would be better if Sonic was making THAT up.

2) Make the controls WORK. If they are unresponsive, fix them! If they are not needed at all, remove them! If they are confusing too many people, make them simpler!

3) You DON'T need to cast Sonic in the lead role. Heck, some stories would be better adapted if you were playing as Knuckles, Tails, or even... No, scratch that idea. I'm not sure how people would respond to it.

3. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Only if it's fun to play. :colbert:

4. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    This.

I somehow managed to 100% Sonic 2006 as well, and sometimes I still boot it up to mess around with its physics, but I just can't stand Secret Rings for its controls.

5. I don't know, why I'm one a few fans of both storybook titles.
    The story was fun, the controls worked and the gfx were great. And the skill and exp system were a great addition.
    I would buy another one... but atm there's Sonic Colors on top of my to buy list. ;)

6. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    If another storybook game was made, I wouldn't want it to play like Secret Rings or Black Knight. I didn't like the fact that both games were on-rails, for a start; and with Secret Rings, the motion controls felt so broken and unnecessary at times (such as with the final boss - no skill involved whatsoever, essentially it was just a case of "let's see how much you can shake the Wii remote!"). The actual concept of the games wasn't exactly terrible. But the gameplay and controls, two of the important elements, could have been so much better.

To be honest, that might not be a bad idea if the gameplay was done somewhat differently to the existing storybook games. Sonic's always been my favourite character to play as, but it can't hurt to have someone else as the star character for a change (as long as it didn't turn out like Shadow the Hedgehog, of course...).

7. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    No thank you, I hated those games. I like my 3D games to be non-linear and actually let me move around a bit and explore. Not to mention in SatSR, I had trouble seeing the cutscenes. They were all one color. How hard would it have been to script real cinema? I know it was for the feeling, but it's easier to follow cinematic cutscenes. (Other people's experience might be different. I just have a hard time identifying shapes if everything is close together in color)

Besides, it really failed in the originality department. What happened to Mobius? Or whatever that planet is that Sonic lives on? Why not come up with its own mythology? That would be a lot more interesting than seeing carbon-copied children's stories.

8. SA2

SA2

Sonic's dead; fly down to his corpse Member
    *Mobius

And probably because in the games, they aren't on Mobius, I think. There's already a story for the planet in the comics. I doubt they'd want to add another continuity/universe thing for a Mobius in the game and then in the comics etc..

9. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    (Thank you, I'm always getting that word confused)

I would be okay with this if the comics were a global thing, but they're just the American localization, and they don't apply to Europe or Japan. Having a deeper story for Sonic on a global, more canon level was what I meant, and not something cheap and gimmicky taken from constantly recycled tropes. Sonic is just as bad as anything else for kids with the annoying storybook overuse. It would simply be nice for it to deviate away from it and do its own thing.

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Wait, you're colorblind?

Are you... Are you sure you're female?

11. Actually I kind of like this idea. I think it would be pretty cool and give the Sonic world it's own mythos and legends and backstories. I think if they did this in connection with making a side character like Tails or Knuckles with it's own style of gameplay, it could be a really cool game. They could go show the Ancients (not referring to Archie canon necessarily) first foresaw and in turn created the backdrop in Hidden Palace Zone. I mean, there's SO much they could really do.

12. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Didn't Shadow get his own back story? Wasn't that not well received?

Just playing devil's advocate.

13. After that many years of existence it's probably hard to create a canon story.
    And it would probably fail, because Sonic isn't just on one console. So they would need to made the new chapters available on all consoles, to catch old and new fans aswell.
    The last thing is, that I love it to have Sonic in his own little story every game. I don't need an EPIC background story for characters like Sonic or Mario. that's why Sonic 06 also sucked (IMO... Elise, do I need to say more? :/)

14. mrhatboxghost

mrhatboxghost

Please no. As much as it would be cool for Sonic to be going through these locales, I don't really like the fact that Sonic uses a sword or some other type of pointless tack on. I say no, I want a normal Sonic game that involves tight controls and no pointless slow interlevels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.