don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Sonic Spectrum

Sonic Spectrum

You're going to have to explain Spring Yard to me unless you're referring to sections at the top of the stage where danger is on the other side of a gap and you don't realize it because of the camera.

2. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Spring Yard's cheap shots:

1) Crabmeat shooting fireballs at you while you're waiting for those three in a row platforms to let you advance.
    2) Buzz Bombers doing the same shit.
    3) Those stupid annoying ass rolling robots that show up out of nowhere and have a roll that somehow out prioritizes your roll even though you have spikes and they're just smooth metal. (the fact that they're invincible while in a ball doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they come outta nowhere does)
    4) lol bottomless pit at the end of Act 3 without warning. Because Retro hates bottomless pits that lack warnings.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Not only do you have plenty of time and room to move out of the way, but it actually only happens about once every five or six times you play the level.

4. Sonic Spectrum

Sonic Spectrum

If Buzzies are performing the same tired routine then you should know how to deal with them. That and when they come on-screen they stop and leave themselves wide open.
    Rollers (because I am too lazy to look up its offical name) I'll give you.
    The pit comes at a moment where you would be moving slowly which is more than I can say for the one in Starlight. Only reason to fall in would be to see if there's a sub-area.

5. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    And that's what made it so full of shit. You think you're safe, then oh, look, random 20% chance of getting blasted happens, and you lose your rings.

Can I not say the same thing about, say 75-85% of every "cheap shot" in any platforming game ever?

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So I'm almost certain that Ben Kalough I will be attending the event in SanFran. Apart from what we've all established, is there anything you guys may want me to bring up?

7. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Just emphasize Sonic's weight and inertia. Most of the game's biggest control irritations come from those to begin with. Even if nothing else ever gets fixed but that does, it'd still be a lot easier for a retro Sonic fan to enjoy the game.

Even so, it's not like Crabmeat's attack is particularly fast.

8. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Sky, you need to be there in character. Please please please be in character.

9. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Let them know that the special stages suck (and not very well), and that we would appreciate that the next set of special stages should suck less.
    I also think that level gimmicks shouldn't be separated by act, as in vines and zip lines could have definitely worked in the same act. Maybe you could address that... maybe

And if you can sneak it in there without sounding too much like someone with their nostalgia goggles on, suggest debug mode. :v:

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

This, please. From talking to ken myself I can tell he has a decent sense of humor, he probably won't mind.

11. Sonic Spectrum

Sonic Spectrum

That "cheap shots" give you ample time to react and leave themselves in plain view?

12. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    I thought they were quite fun. I mean...they are better than Sonic 1's Special Stages and that was their goal..right?

13. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    I just played the Sonic 4 demo at my cousin's house, and I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's only one level, and the no inertia thing is pretty weird, but I didn't see a lot of problems. The physics are different, but they're easy to get used to, and it's completely playable and enjoyable. I even tried to do the wall-walking thing everybody complains about, and I couldn't get it to happen. If I get a current-gen system, I'll definitely buy this game.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The only thing that bugs me about the Special Stages are the goddamn bumpers sending you flying if you so much as tap them.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That wasn't as big a problem for me as how bouncy Sonic was when you hit a wall and how you couldn't vary the rotation speed. If you tilt the analogue stick only slightly, the stage should rotate slowly.

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Not just the bumpers, every single piece in the level did that. I hate those special stages so much. How hard is it to implement proper collision in a sonic game?

17. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Ok, I played it the first time today and I must say, it ain't as bad as I expected. True, the physics are the worst thing ever and Sonic doesn't really seem to run fast, but it's definitley worth to have a look at (at least if you know how to look at it without worrying about your money :V).

18. I don't know about you guys, but I was actually quite impressed with Sonic 4. The physics have some glitches, true, but I wasn't as bothered by them as a lot of people were. Perhaps it's because I have had a lot of experience with the Rush games on DS. Whatever the case, I loved it and got my money's worth out of it.

19. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    The game is decent to me, still fun making these though!
    [​IMG]

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    ...what?