don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. DrunkDoomguy

DrunkDoomguy

UK
    Sonic +
    I can't wait to try out Sonic Colours. After being thoroughly disappointed with Sonic '06 I lost faith in Sega, however after watching all the gameplay footage on YouTube for Sonic Colours I must say Sega may have created a decent sonic game (along with Sonic 4). I know many of you will say that Sonic unleashed was pretty good but I wasn't very impressed with it.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Your happy feelings might vanish in a poof when you realize how much of the game is pointless filler.

...Although I guess that's a problem with most 3D Sonic games, huh...

3. Flare

Flare

May be mainly filler and some bad points... But I'd play that game over any of the 3D games of Sonic's at the moment.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You come to appreciate the game more once you beat it. Like with Sonic Unleashed. I'm not a big fan of the main story and the side crap, so I made a file on my friends profile (which is on my system. I didn't want to erase my file) where I beat the game, doing none of the side missions or anything, so that when I went through the level select screens in Unleashed it was straight up Act 1, 2, 3, etc instead of before when it's like Act 1, HOT DOG, HOT DOG, HOT DOG, Act 2, FIND TEH DOLL FOR TEH GURL, Teh meanin of luv, Act 3, etc, etc.

It's cleaner that way.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Don't get me wrong, I do think Unleashed is the best 3D Sonic game overall, it's just that playing the full game is a chore. All I ever do with it is re-play the main story Day Stages from the stage-select menus. I never play through the story again. Sonic Colors looks like the kind of game I'd occasionally start a new file on just to re-live the adventure from start to finish. Not so with Unleashed...

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Only 19 days left until it gets released in Europe, I don't think I've ever been this excited for a Sonic game.

7. I can't believe it's so close... I don't even want to wait for what little time is left.

8. Vertex

Vertex

Define 'normal'.
    17 days till the Australia release. I wonder why we Aussies get it first?

9. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Thanks! Final product here:
    Super Slow Imageshack Alert!

50% Sized Version

MediaFire Mirror

10. corneliab

corneliab

"its" needs to be changed to "it's".

That thing's going to continue looking hella amateur otherwise.

11. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
  12. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    Lucky us ^^
    It's Aussie release date is also the date of my last exam! It's perfect

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oh, why. Thank you for the "well written." Not being a native american makes it harder to be to propperly express what I'm trying to mean. I'm like Sonic 4; I try way too hard to be cool. I'm glad you were able to understand my point.

Also, I'm glad someone in these boards, besides me, have heard of, and have actually played and understood the narrative of, Rule Of Rose! <3

You, sir, have my major respect. It's really frantically the turn of events the narrative brings in this game, and I found this to be the strongest point in the game. Also very creative. Fucked up is a word that fits pretty well in the context. But, then again, you are definitely right; this obviously isn't a place to discuss this game. In fact, nowhere in these boards would be an adequate place, since, I belive, not many, beside us, are really into this game genre style. A more appropriated place would be the Hell Descent Forums or Silent Hill Heaven Forums.

As far as Sonic Colors reviews and reception is concerned, you understood my point exactly. I'm afraid Sonic Colors will be almost like a "Cult Hit," a kind of niche title, that is a definitely must-buy for the fans of the series, and that I'll be acclaimed by it's surroundings communities; plus calling the interest of others passive lovers of the platforming/adventure genre. This game is also a Nintendo exclusive, and it doesn't help improving it's popularity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game will be necessarely be less popular because it's on a Nintendo platform, since Mario & Sonic At The Olympic (Winter) Games long stabilished this to be incorrect; What I mean is that Sonic Colors will not have as much popularity as it would have if it was multiplatform. Case in point: If you go at the Youtube's search bar, and type "sonic," what is the first suggestion (not counting "sonic," obviously) that shows up? Sonic Unleashed. And that because it was a game much more popular, one of the reasons being that it was multiplatform (and the other reason being that the marketing strategy of the game marketed blast proccessing, the not-so realtime global ilumination lightning system for the PS360 versions).

Not to mention, typing "sonic a" brings Adventure(2), and "sonic an" doesn't even bring anything at all, when I'm actually trying to bring "Sonic and the Secret Rings" to the list. See where I'm trying to get? Secret Rings is *obviously* less popular because it's a Wii exclusive. Hell, in fact, I never even remember this game exist, I just remembered because I had to bring a Wii exclusive Sonic game to explain my point.

I feel the same way. Occasionally, I play Sonic Unleashed, and I straightforwardly select a day stage from the map screen. God forbid me from touching any night stages. Occasionally I play Eggmanland, too, though I avoid playing it most of the time because I remember there are sections with the Werehog. :S

When playing the main storyline, it felt to as a drag to complete the game, I played one *awesome* day stage, and had to *forcefully* play another two different night stages in order to unlock the next day stage. And to me, playing the night stages were a drag, because I HAD to play them if I wanted to play more of the awesome day stages to come. So most of the time, I tryied to get a S rank on my first playthrough in every night stages, so I had never need to play such stage ever again. That being said, there were only a handfull of night stages that I played more than once, one being the first one, and the other being Skyscraper Scamper Act 1.

I belive the same (hopefully) will not happen in Colors.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sounds like you were playing the PS2/Wii version. The PS2/Wii version had two night stages to every day stage. The 360/PS3 version was 2 day stages to every night stage, if I'm not mistaken.

Unfortunately the HD and Non-HD versions vary. I usually don't mind that, but varying in level structure between systems is just unforgivable.

But, you're right. We don't have Sonic the Wannabe-Ristar in Colors, so we probably aren't going to be forced to play a slew of shitty stages to get to the good ones.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Maybe so, but you spent most of the time doing night time levels (at least I did) because they took longer in general, and the other acts were really short, or about one specific move or gimmick. I hated that the most about Unleashed, you only got one, maximum 2 'full' acts to each continent. Mazuri drifting anyone?

17. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    I've already purchased it... sans the dorky hat. Just need to wait for my brother's birthday to come around and I get to pick it up... then rub it in my brother's face.

Kinda ironic how that on his birthday, I'm the one getting a new game. lol

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

No, no, he's probably referring to the way they were arranged. Sometimes you had to go through two Night Stages before the next Day Stage. There were also times when you went through two Day Stages before the next Night Stage, but that never seems to take as long, does it?

19. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    As far as I know, in the PS2/Wii counterparts, Eggmanland is divided into many day and night stages, instead of being a huge-ass single stage. Therefore, I'm obviously talking about the PS360. Also, you have no idea of how much I hate the PS2 and Wii versions.

Precisely, my good fellow. That's exactly what I meant.

The order of the stages in the main storeline something along the lines of:

Day, Day, Night, Night, Day, Boss-Day, Day, Night, Boss-Night, Night, Day, Boss-Day, Day, Night, Boss-Night, Night...

If we ignore the boss fights, the order is somewhat like:

Day, Day, Night, Night, Day, Day, Night, Night, Day, Day, Night, Night...

...so, in order to play the next day stage, you have to play two consecutive night stages. Talk about drag. The good thing is that after each day stage, you get to play one more new one. =P

20. I'm torn. One part of me wants Sonic Colors on release day because theres nothing like countdown to the day when everyone else gets it. But Christmas is so close and I like ripping opening something I know I really wanted. So I think I might get the Wii version on the 16th and then wait and get the DS version for Christmas just in case the family goes mobile and needs to travel during the holidays. I'm stoked!