Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well,

That was why I mentioned it. Although replaying, it seems Mario does have inertia while in the air, but he still slows to a stop quite quickly on the ground.

Also, since SM64 his inertia has almost completely gone, including in NSMB, if you're still looking for comparisons.

2. Patback

Patback

Ya know, Mario fans don't complain nearly as much as Sonic fans do, and they get about the same amount of crap. The stereotypical bastard is a champ at pretty much every sport out there, time and time again since the N64 days. SNES if you count Mario Kart. Each game controls entirely differently from the last entry (SMB3 is the slipperiest shit ever) and they've literally had games re-sprited and renamed from totally unrelated projects released as sequels. NSMB is about as much of a change from Mario World as Sonic 4 is from Sonic 3, and I didn't hear a peep out of that fan base.

3. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    NSMB knows what inertia is and doesn't let the character stand on a vertical surface. Oh and the models aren't just flatshaded in NSMB wii either.

4. Matlee

Matlee

What the frag?! Member
    UK
    YAY! my post made it :)

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2010/10/13/son...today/#comments

Too Lazy?
    I tried to keep the comment simple and effective so that my post would not be censored :thumbsup:

I hope someone at SEGA acknowledge my comments and the points raised in the video that I linked to in my comment (thanks goes to Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion, Official Discussion Thread for bringing that to my attention)

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Plus, NSMB didn't consider itself as Super Mario Bros. 4 (or 5 if you're Japanese and call World SMB4). In fact there wouldn't be nearly as much debate if Sega didn't give the game a name in which the mechanics can not live up to.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    In before 'NSMBW is better anyway'.

Well it was! :v:

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm actually happy to have it called Sonic 4. I accept that they're looking at the old games and taking influence, but not in such a way where things like physics are ported over. I'm curious to see what Episode 2 has in store, I'd very much like Tails to be introduced and a two player element. It seems as if Sonic 4 could go the way of having each episode as a homage to a specific game. Apart from the design of most of the levels, Sonic 4; Episode 1 seems very much like it took influence from Sonic 1, and I hope Episode 2 really does go that extra mile and kick start Robotnik's plans, giving us a deeper experience.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    There's one thing I had like clarification about. The sub-title for Mad Gear's boss is 'Fight the real Dr. Eggman'. I don't quite understand what that means. Has anyone figured this out or is it something that we will probably find out in Episode 2?

Or Metal Sonic went all Terminator 2 on Robotnik again. Who knows.

9. It's referring to how the Metropolis boss creates doppelgängers.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    It means "Fight the guy in the cockpit, not the balloons, stupid!"

EDIT: Ninja'd.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Not the best sub-title. It gives the impression that you've not been fighting the real Dr Eggman ala Heroes. Some boss names would have been cool instead.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    SomecallmeJohnny, my fellow BrainScratch bro, said he wishes they'd taken the opportunity to subtitle the act, "Would the real Dr. Eggman please stand up?" :v:

13. dsrb

dsrb

I haven't played Heroes, but Sonic 4's subtitle doesn't really give that impression at all. It's quite obvious what it means.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

You'd think that, but then my brother told me it sucks that in Sonic 4 you only fight the real Robotnik once. I had to explain to him, when I thought it was really obvious, given that he throws little Eggmen at you which you can't actually fight, as they can hurt you.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's obvious what it means and I don't think anyone interpreted it as "all the bosses before were imitations" but it's just the way that it sounds.

16. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I'm really starting to feel alone in the whole "I've been playing Sonic games like Sega wants me to play Sonic 4 since day one." area. I'm not sure if it's a blessing, or a curse...

I mean, my friend told me that he'd probably have held forward too and that it seemed only logical, but he doesn't really care for Sonic games (He Mario and Kirby platformers. ) so... Meh... I guess it just means I'll have an easier time going back to the classics as the only major difference I'll see is the fact that Sonic doesn't feel as weighted down and slow in the classics.

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

You must've eased up on the d-pad at some point. I have trouble believing you got past Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, Star Light Zone, Scrap Brain Zone, Mystic Cave Zone, Oil Ocean Zone, Metropolis Zone, Wing Fortress Zone, or three quarters of S3&K, otherwise. And you can bloody well forget Wacky Workbench. :v:

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Kind of off-topic, but that was an awesome play through. It reminded me that I'm actually rather immature, mainly due to how hard I was laughing at the whole "Snooping as usual" fiasco. :v:

EDIT: Yeah the joke is censored durr on my part.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I saw this inbetween clashing with the argumentative brats who make up the wonderful world that is the SEGA Forums:
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of whoever made this pretty cool image, which can be viewed here;
    http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?3489...de-II-Art/page2

I wonder if they'll actually do something similar, seeing as the Sonic 4; Ep 1 image was a recreation of Sonic The Hedgehog's American version.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm guessing due to + - Metal Sonic being in the credits   the cover will probably be more like + - the US Sonic CD   cover

However if based off the above, replace the 2 with a 4 and then you got it