don't click here

Yuji Naka Cuts Ties with Sonic for Good

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link

Well...thats that. Yuji's never coming back.

Later Yuji...thanks for making the Blue Blur.

2. Moogle!

Moogle!

Well, sometimes, people move on. Same reason people move on from communities such as this. Or some actors from certain roles. Hope for the best for him

I wonder if Naoto ?shima feels the same way.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Unless Prope are tasked with making a new Sonic game.

Which might sound crazy but hey, they did give it to Bioware.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    He helped lead Sonic down the toilet anyway.

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I love how people assume Yuji Naka made Sonic and not Naoto Oshima. Can't change everyone, I guess.

As far as I can remember (I think this was in a Nintendo Power interview from last year or so), he really didn't have a choice, given how Sega was working, and he left because he wanted to go back to creating games, not "producing" them for the umbrella. I'm completely unsurprised that he's coming out and saying this, but am surprised that he is doing so in this manner (and not in a heartless rant).

Doesn't a company have to accept these offers first?

Also wait, when was Iwy the Kiwi? released for Wii?

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I believe I said something like this before. Something like that takes its toll after 5 years of pumping out game after game. 15 years of that is just fucking insane. Insanely profitable, of course, but still insane.

Good for him. I expect him to come out with some great games. Maybe he'll inadvertently dethrone Sonic and shake up SEGA's MO.

Maybe if he gets over Sonic, more people will follow and stop buying into SEGA's bullshit.

HAR HAR HAR

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Except that some of the best Sonic games have come/are coming since Naka left. Unleashed rules, and I honestly haven't seen a single thing wrong with Colours.

And just in case someone tries to call me out on this, the growing quality has nothing to do with Naka leaving. Ultimately, it's the people who design the games that have the most control over how much fun it is.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Well it just means that Takashi Iizuka will be providing us with more mixed bag games. Then again, Naka quit SEGA because he actually wanted to program things, not direct stuff.

9. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

At the very least and right now (Unleashed, Colours), we have a glimpse of hope that Sonic can stand on its own two feet with new teams. Sega is has a decent track record as of now as well. When the DC tanked and many abandoned the boat, I had my doubts they'd continue. Yet they've managed. This is a good sign.

I can't say I see Nintendo on the same light.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    This is probably one of the saddest days of my life. Yuji Naka created my childhood hero.

Godspeed, Yuji.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Am I the only one who remembers the immense amount of whining about Naka before he left Sega to massive cheers, before everyone started the Iizuka bashing? Honestly, I'd have thought most people would be celebrating this news.

I wish him the best, personally - if he can carve a niche at Prope and enjoy it, all the best to him.

12. This isn't terrible news. I don't think his presence would have changed the Sonic we have today.

13. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    If I were him, I'd have distanced myself from the turd-heap the series has become long ago.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That crazy girl that named her kid Yujinaka must be feeling a little deserted right now. Seriously though, I don't even care. He has had little influence over Sonic since Sonic Adventure.

15. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I have no problem with Mr. Naka's comments. He's doing what he wants, and I'm happy for him. Besides, who knows? Nintendo and Square were at each other's throats for years, and look at them now. You Never know what the future might hold.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    They were? This is news to me. :s

17. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    Nintendo wasn't too happy that Square jumped ship and started making Final Fantasy games for the Playstation. Understandable, given the horrid RPGs for the N64.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Yeah. And they had such a good thing together with Super Mario RPG.

As for us getting better games since he left: Unleashed was gimped, Black Knight was terrible, and Chronicles was even worse. Yeah.

That we're starting to get good games now with Sonic 4 and Colors? Maybe even Free Riders? About fucking time, SEGA.

19. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    To be honest, it was kind of obvious that he'd be doing this when he left to form Prope in the first place.

Also, OL's comment about Naka-bashing is 100% true.

20. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Anyone wanna guess how long it'll be before TSSZ picks this up? Currently, they're perserverating on the Ken Penders controversy.

I'll give it two hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.