don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Also, the PC version shows a map as well while loading.

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I know, that's why I said it <_< That map wasn't used for navigation though

Also Dude, who's to say the map wasn't designed ages ago? I've always suspected that the Partnernet and e3 builds purposely contained level selects because they're demos but that the RTM release won't. Sounds like I was (partially) right.

It would be nice if the map is an unlockable feature though, at least in terms of picking the level.

On a sepearate note, I think that even if Sonic 4 ends up bombing, at least the hype brought back the rapid fire F5 mashing threads of yore. I don't remember being in a thread this active since the hight of Sonic Classic or Cult.

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    A world map would be an interesting feature, there's been a few like in Sonic 1 (Master System Version) Sonic 3D Blast (PC Version) Sonic Rush Adventure too. I'm guessing that will replace the basic menu instead.

4. Endri

Endri

It will be an improvement for the better in the very least.

Too much for too little improvement.

5. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    World map? So this game is really becoming Sonic Rush 3, isn't it?

6. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Sega urgently needs to rename this to Sonic Rush 3.

1. Its 3D
    2. Sonic Rush Physics
    3. Green Eyes
    4. World Map
    5. Shitty Music
    6. Named it sonic 4
    7. ???
    8. PROFIT!

Best way to scam a sonic nerd ever.

In all seriousness, look what this game is becoming! Instead of a simple multiconsole game, they also ported it on the iphone to show off the screen rotation feature (which is lame, both on loops and on the minecart).

And speaking of minecarts, why do they seriously have to pull a sonic unleashed on us and put different levels in different consoles? Why not just make everything the same (and I mean, no minecart) so everyone owning one console could be satisfied. That's also what I hated about unleashed, it was released on the PS2 and then I figured out the PS2 and wii versions are less content than PS3/Xbox 360, which pissed me off, really.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm pretty sure they are keeping the console versions consistent; only the iPhone will have different levels.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Oh my, it gets better:
    So basically if you want classic act progression, you have it. It's a real choice now, none of that menu/map nonsense if you don't want it. That's a real improvement.

9. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

Cool, though I would rather have a two button choice instead of a QTE.

10. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Wah wah—ah, fuck it.

I take it nobody remembers the bizarre <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM—_WwZwRY" target="_blank">zone maps from Sonic Crackers.</a> Despite the game being unfinished and broken, I rather liked those top-down sequences where you can walk all around and pick which act to go to. I wouldn't mind seeing something looking like that again.

If it's just a world map a la Sonic Advance 2, I'll be miffed. I never cared for the level select in that game, mostly because there's too little to differentiate the two acts in each zone, and I HATE trying to collect those goddamn Special Zone coins. Fuck that shit.

The Sonic Advance and Advance 3 level selects/maps? Not bad. One's bare-bones and has pretty good levels, and the other is an interactive stage. Very nice.

EDIT: Dreadninja'd.

So, a really well-detailed static-view worldmap instead of a 3d worldmap? I take it you don't move around in it, just use the button to select which stage you want. That's pretty cool.

11. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    >shitty 3D hub
    I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this opinion. SA1 and Unleashed had great hubs, 06's was lackluster though. I actually prefer a hub world over stage select, which is why SA2 kind of pissed me off.

But whatever, that's my opinion, man. Stage select is easier and takes less time, but having a hub just makes you so much more involved with the game's world. Granted, it's best for actual 3D adventures, rather than a sidescroller such as this. With sidescrollers, a world map is truly the best method.

But it's still terrible to include that in a supposedly Classic-Style Sonic game. Such a thing was not in the Sonic trilogy we all know and love.

12. I'll be honest, after reading those, I really don't think I'll be buying sonic 4 anymore, I was promised a Classic sonic that we all loved, but damn, did I get suckered into that PR Scam! First Sonic game in like 10 years that I was actually excited for and it sounds like it's just another load of shit, thanks SEGA.

13. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Maybe not, but a world map was in Sonic 1 SMS/GG. Between each act, infact.

14. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Cool but I don't see how a world map is going to help a shitty game not be shit.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The map itself is just a nice feature. The fact that you can now go from act to act without having to bother with annoying menus is the real improvement. It's very far from the most important thing of course, but at least the you can play through the game more or less seamlessly now.

16. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    World Map is better than a menu system, I just hope that you can progress through levels naturally though.

EDIT: You can, actually. There's a jump to next level button, that sounds fine to me.

17. Fuck the world map, they should have spent the time wasted on it fixing the damn physics.

18. Endri

Endri

In fact, this would make even more sense.

19. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    A world map is just a prettier level select screen, stop fucking moaning about everything.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    I wish they would fix the god damn physics and show them off, so I could read everyone bitch about how they took the lazy route and ported a 16 year old engine for the next fifty pages.

Off-topic: I still can't wait to try this game. From what I've seen and read it's not a perfect recreation of the original titles, but from what I can remember from back in 93-94 the same was said about Sonic 3 by a lot of people. We may never know what direction a "proper" Sonic 4 would have taken, but I'm positive it would have been changed up and had new things introduced. That's why I am welcoming the changes and additions, and saving any nay-saying until I actually play the game and decide whether its garbage or not based on my own experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.