don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    If we're talking about Sonic 3D Blast's music being good for Sonic 4, that redo of Green Grove featured in act 3 of Windy Valley from SA1 would be a good tune, I would think, for SHZ. I loved that song, and I don't see why Sonic 4 can't have modern sounds really, they would look much better with the upgraded graphics sprites with more color capabilities than fake Genesis instruments.

2. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

THE COLORS, DUKE, THE COLORS. We're talking about music.

Personally, I thought both versions of the S3DB soundtrack had their own personal merit and charm. Richard Jacques can write some really nice tunes sometimes, as long as he doesn't add vocals to them. :specialed:

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

Hey, TJ Davis has the voice of an angel. You just can't feel the sunshine.

Anyway, I'm all for a custom soundtrack option. I do like the tunes of Sonic 4 themselves, just not the instrumentation. Even so, I'll settle for phony synth music with Sonic 2 drum samples over more "IN THIS WORLD" buttrock to the max.

4. The modern sounds would look better, and the sprites have more color capabilities than fake Genesis instruments.

Are we still talking about music, here?

5. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

6. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I'd rather wait for a more credible news site for that kind of news.

Besides, isn't Colours supposed to come out in November? I don't see SEGA releasing two big name games for its biggest series in the same month.

7. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

Yeah, that does seem like a bit of a drag out. I was expecting a release date some time around September/Early October.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's never too late to remove a few objects here and there. How much would that take? A couple of hours at most?

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It might take only a few hours to update the level, but then there's QA.

Depending on the way the company's structured, QA verification can take from a week up to several months or more. Add to that extra development time in the case that additional bugs are found, and you end up with a whole lot more than a few hours.

As an example, AMD's Catalyst drivers are sent to QA and tested for two months before they're released.

(Then again, maybe that wasn't such a great example, considering the horrific quality of the Linux Catalyst drivers...)

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    New hardware needs intensive testing so it will work and won't cause any kind of damage.

Removing speed boosters in a game requires no specific testing. It can be done whenever they're making the next build.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    You obviously haven't done any software development at a big software company.

It doesn't matter how small the change is; all changes have to be verified by QA. This isn't like the 1970's where Paul Allen wrote the bootloader to Microsoft's BASIC while he was on the plane to MITS. This is 2010, where software companies have rigid development practices in place.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They said they're making some changes already. It can't be too late...

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    yeah, what if the guy deletes a bunch of boosters and then you can't beat the game because the booster in just that one spot sent you through x object that started a homing attack chain over a huge pit right before release. Nobody would notice.

... or care =P

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    There is no way sonic 4 will see the changes a lot of us hope for, those boosters are there to stay and so is the homing attack and the lack of motion when you let go of a direction while in the air (what the fuck sega?)

Only "fixes" I can see happening are rolling down hills being a little faster, spindash gives sonic some speed now, gravity being a little stronger on slopes and some minor level design changes along with removing the mine cart and shitty pinball acts.

I highly doubt anything else will be changed, we are stuffed.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Careful with that. Richard Jacques did some arrangements and some audio on Sonic Chronicles. The whole game was a raping of the ears, though I imagine this is less to due with Jacques and more how utterly horrible the mastering was... not much different from this, except Senoue's been getting lambasted pretty hard for a while now for EVERY SONG MUST SOUND THE SAME since SA2 until Sonic 2006 (when they finally ripped him from doing audio from the games)

But, if we get something at level with 3D Blast Saturn and Sonic R, that'd be lovely. If you hate the vocal versions of the R tracks, instrumentals exist in the PC version. Reactive Factory is a very good one instrumental only.

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yeah, it was mostly shared out with Tetsuyuki Maeda who did a great job on his tunes. I hate it when people credit Senoue to every S3D Blast song because if you like a certain song, most likely Jun didn't work on it.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I wonder if Sega wouldn't be opposed to letting Maeda at the least handle the rest of the episodes in this. I can't help but feel Senoue Syndrome is going to continue (as mentioned, he has a knack for having all his music sound really similar, which is not a good thing in video games, especially when you're behind a majority or all the music.)

18. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Hey yeah, first post in this thread. This game looks pretty cool.

Things I'm excited about:
    Minecart levels
    New visual updates of familiar characters
    Boosters and homing attack fun

19. Richard Jacques also more recently did some nice orchestral work on Sonic and the Black Knight... Right alongside Jun Senoue. :P

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    NEW RULE:

No more "THERE WAS X IN SONIC 2 SO X WILL BE FUN/BLAH BLAH BULLSHIT REASON WHY IT WON'T BE AS FUN IN SONIC 4!" post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.