don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Well, he could run backwards in the classics aswell when your lucky. Happened to me a few times. And, I do have to say, I'm happy he does that in this game, its always funny to watch Sonic do a Moonwalk at his own pace! ^^

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It happened rarely in the classics, it happens with any sideways spring in this game.

3. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Strangely enough, I noticed running backwards a hell of a lot recently, and most of the time in Star Light Zone. Also, hitting a boss, then coming down while facing the other way sometimes causes it.

That said, watching that video made me more disappointed. The boosters are in such stupid places. I mean, inside an S-tunnel? It's not even necassery there!

4. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    *insert 10 pages of arguing about homing attacks, boost pads, and level design here*

Running backwards WAS in the Genesis games. Sonic STILL stops on a dime in this build, because I'm calling it that the Comic-Con build is the E3 build. + - Which is apparently the leaked build.  

SEGA (or at least Ken Balough) has stated that that, along with the animation/acceleration speed, will be changed for the release. Will we believe him? That's for 5 pages of argument to decide. :specialed:

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Heh, I genuinely believe some things will be changed. 'Change' however is not synonymous with 'fix'.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Oh no we won't.

Don't you dare fucking start shit Techies.

And don't you dare make shit up everyone else.

7. This is the first time I've listened to Ken.

Totally.

8. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I really love how he keeps shoving it in everyone's face with the "Listening to the fans" bullshit. We have constantly asked for changes and features that they deny. Classic Sonic as an option would be extremely easy. Just model it, and give him the proper bones. There are other things, but they have been said hundreds of times already.

There was a part in the video that made me rage. The player had run into a spring, then hit a spring that shot him RIGHT INTO THE HOMING ATTACK CHAIN of badniks. That is just plain stupid level design. I wouldn't mind the homing attack so much if they didn't have those stupid chains of badniks. I can understand one or two per zone, but they place them everywhere and they are hard to miss.

Also, moar speed boosters.

9. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    There are not nearly enough springs in this game.

10. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    For some reason, that made me think of springs being the original boost pad. :specialed:

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    No, it's quite literally not. I just finished a course taught by Richard Linklater and TA'd by Don Hertzfeld on both traditional and digitial animation. The entire process is entirely different. It's not traditional animation, and no animators would consider it traditional animation.

In fact, the majority of Rotoscoping is done via a filter. Only a few details are ever actually drawn in (and never by hand), namely the eyes.

EDIT: However I realized you might not be familiar with the new process of rotoscoping and might be thinking of the technique done for the original Prince of Persia games. That is technically rotoscoping, but that technique is not what people mean when they say rotoscoping anymore. It's a sort of in between.

In any case, KoFXII used filters with slight touch ups, not hand drawn rotoscoping (ala Prince of Persia).

Please watch this, at 1:17:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5697646473058940730#

EDIT AGAIN: Kinda off topic, but Sparks, that short in your sig, Don Hertzfeld guest lectured one day and spent half of the lecture dissecting that very Felix the Cat short. Interesting stuff, especially coming from Don Hertzfeld.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Well of course you didn't see significant changes, probably because it's the old E3 demo.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

Near the beginning of the video, I saw Sonic clip through part of the loop when he jumped. Wow that's bad heh.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

So I notice in the interview they ask him about the special stages and he says "you'll see re-imaginings of those"

Which in my mind means that episode 2 will have special stages like Sonic 2, and episode 3 will have special stages like Sonic 3. Which I had kinda expected, but it'd be cooler if they took the special stages from Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix instead.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Knuckles Chaotix has my favorite Special stage style.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Ditto, followed by Sonic CD very closely. I would have bought full games that played like those fleshed out a bit. Which I guess explains why I like Sonic Unleashed so much - the 3D segments remind me of Knuckles Chaotix without the wall-walking.

Oh well, here's hoping they try to blow Sonic Blast Saturn's special stages away. Those were a phenomenal take on Sonic 2's formula.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If Sega made a really kick ass looking game that basically consisted of even more awesome Sonic 3D Blast Saturn special stages and released it on XBLA or PSN or something I'd buy it immediately. Unfortunately I bet the extent of a Sonic 2 special stage recreation would be "L1 and R1 are now used to move the tube AROUND YOU LOL SO SAWNIK DOESN'T ACTUALLY MOVE"

18. Hello guys I am brand new, but not new to sonic, so don't kick my ass. I hope they have different special stages for each episode as well, and I also hope they slightly change sonic's design for Episode 2 and so on like they do for every sonic game. I like seeing a slightly tweaked sonic.

On a side note, I just did a remix for **spoiler?** + - Mad Gear Zone Act 1   in anticipation for this damn game to come out already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyyXDw58uLU

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    He's not clipping through it, SEGA just tried to add some odd dimension to the loop (the floor tilts to the player a bit at the top of the loop)

You can also see some weird ramp effect after the 3/4 loop, where the floor tilts back a bit.

It's an ugly effect. :psyduck:

20. serpx

serpx

That act is the only reason I'm glad the music isn't changing. Very fun job -- I think SEGA is taking down these kind of videos though? I may be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.