don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Fwiss

Fwiss

So should I edit the Sonic 2 source, or the object code, which is where?

2. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    This is all in s2.asm, so this is where you need to make your changes. Then run build.bat and test it.

3. Fwiss

Fwiss

Another question, what text editors can find hex offsets like the ones you posted?

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I suggest using ConTEXT, it was made with 68K asm in mind.

5. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    The $7000 is written as is in the disassembly, and I found the $1B20 by opening the art file in SonMapEd and multiplying the number of tiles by $20. $7000 + $1B20 = $8B20. The art_tile value is $8B20 divided by $20, and the other bits are used for flipping or using a different palette line.

6. Fwiss

Fwiss

No idea how to install ConTEXT. Any help with these file types?

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Quick question, where did you download the program from? If you download the excutable file from the wiki, it takes you through the installation wizard. I got a question regarding Sonic 2. I know that HPZ in bit format is $8, ARZ is $F, and CPZ2 is $D01, but what about the other level values? I can't seem to find them...

8. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Alright. I have a sprite that I want to load from palette line 2 in the game that is usually from palette line 1.

The way I thought it worked, SonMapEd's "Render starting with pallete line 2" is a no go. Where in the object's asm would that be or what would I have to insert? Or what do I have to do in SonMapEd again? I thought I got it to work before.

9. SCHG:Nem s2ss

Which disassembly are you using? If it's the 2005 Sonic 1 one, look for a line inside the object's code like move.w #$780,2(a0). If it's the SVN Sonic 1 one, look for a line like move.w #$780,obGfx(a0). If it's the 2007 or SVN Sonic 2 one, look for a line like move.w #$780,art_tile(a0). Once you've found the line just add $2000 to the $780 or whatever value it is to make the object use the second palette line.

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    It worked! Thank you.

11. Fwiss

Fwiss

ACK! I downoaded the Highlighter File instead of ConTEXT itself! The fail is painful!

...But I still can't find hex offsets in ConTEXT...

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    To find hex offsets, you'll need a hex editor. Sorry that I didn't really help that much... and to figure out what the offsets specifically do check the SCHG on Sonic 2. ^^

13. Fwiss

Fwiss

You mean a hex editor opening a text file? Oh. I see now. Sorry for those troublingly short and useless posts, I was picturing something entirely different.

14. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Ok so I have this in the Resize code, so it will run constantly. I want it to run once. The code below in theory should have made itself run only once. Right now it doesn't activate. What went wrong?

Code (Text):
    1. bcc.s    Rsizerumble; if yes, branch
    4. locret_6E08:
    5.         rts    
    7. Rsizerumble:
    8.         cmpi.b     #$13,($FFFFA59A).w
    9.         bcc.s         Resizerumble2    
    10.         move.b    #$13,($FFFFA59A).w; change level layout
    11.         move.b    #$B7,($FFFFF00A).w; play sound
    14. Resizerumble2:        
    15.         jmp        locret_6E08

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Try that insted =P

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Branch if equal. Gah. I should have done it.

Thanks, it works.

17. Fwiss

Fwiss

Oh no! My data is not corrupted, but it seems something went wrong. The assembled ROM that I hacked works, but editing its project files in SonED2 doesn't. Whenever I open the .sep files, it crashes. I know the project files are the same as the hacked rom, because I split it with Split.bat. I believe that I have some slow framerate, but altogether no crashes when ran in Gens and Fusion. Any ideas as to the error?

It says the error is in kosinski.dll
    Something's wrong with that particular act. EDIT: Nope, other levels look corrupted in SonED2, too.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    First off, which disassembly are you using? If you are using the SVN version, re-downloading the SonED2 project files may fix the problem. If you are using an older version, try splitting the ROM again and see if that works.

19. Fwiss

Fwiss

So the exact data that I hacked is not recoverable? Good thing for backups.

20. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Recently discovered three commands I've never heard about before: smi, sne, pea. Can anyone explain those please?