don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Well, I'm not good enough for modeling characters (for obvious reasons). Maybe I should just be a prop modeler. I can make boxes, spheres, barrels, and all that other stuff. And it probably would make sense for Jeztac to model all the characters so the style is the same. Making Knuckles was worth the try though. I honestly think it is the best model I've ever made... ;)

Youtube page with 3 old models I made...

And you're point?

I didn't use a reference image for modeling this and it looks pretty close to the sonic xtreme style (if you ask me).

When I think of reference image I think of this: [​IMG]
    Something that I basically 'trace' over when modeling.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's kinda the point of the reference sheet, yeah. But if you'd really rather do props and objects then ok.

3. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Hey, I was wondering, how many modelers are currently working on this project? That is, including character modelers, item/prop modelers, etc.

Also, props to whoever created the most recent version of the logo, it's nice.

4. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Taken from the 'Who Does What' topic on the SFR boards, there are 6 modelers working on things like characters and items, that would include Carrierhack, EightBitDragon, Bubblecannon, Jeztac, Shadow Explorer and Athbucket. Azu is working on the concepts for characters and levels with Sancho, The KKM, Mr. Mash and Greg The Cat which would make 5 counting the project leader, if you want to count the design team, that makes 11.

If I've got something wrong I guess Azukara would know the answer better than me. :psyduck:

5. Alright, I remade the model and used that ref Mr.Mash posted to trace over.
    [​IMG]

This one took me roughly 20 minutes to make.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike the last model which I gave five percent on, I gave ten percent on this one.

What do you guys think?

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I imagine the point is "you're" model's not very good and people want to help you make it better, which you want to ignore

And in case you ask, my point is take constructive feedback or turn the job over to someone who can

7. Oh, you're cool. It's called a spelling mistake. I meant to say 'your'. Sorry for not being perfect like you.

Also if he wanted to help me make it better, he could've told me what was wrong with it (with the parts he pointed out) instead of telling me what parts to look at.

8. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Way to read, bro

9. Ink

Ink

Homicidal Echidna Oldbie
    I don't know the first thing about 3D modeling, but I think I'm still qualified to critique.

I would make the front two dreadlocks fall in front of the arms, since they're usually portrayed that way. A couple of things about the hat are bothering me. It's still too tall, though definitely an improvement over the last version you posted; it's just that Knuckles' hat is more flat than tall. Plus I think the circles are a little too big (though it might look better once the stars are visible). The main thing about his hat is it sits a little too high on his head; it sort of looks like it's about to fall off.

Oh, you know, the muzzle has no cheeks. Or at least it looks like it to me.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The shapes are now more stylized like Knuckles, but it's still not really good, bro. Sorry. It just seems really sketchy and stuff. I know you did it in twenty minutes, but Jeztac's Sonic took several hours, even days. We don't need quick jobs done around here, as it cheapens the quality of the game. If you'd just spend a lot of time on the model and tuned it up to solid shapes that looked near verbatim to the picture, then it'd be okay, but it's not.

EDIT (since I sorta sounded like a jerk with no helpful critique): Also, if you're to really improve it (like up the poly and smooth out stuff, like, big time) then follow some of Ink's suggestions. They can really help improve the model if anything. Other suggestions: make his eyes less of a sharp angle, make his dreads look like they're actually connected to his head, and the shoes seem to end at the bottom in a very jagged way.

If you don't wanna do these things, would you just like to leave it to Jeztac to do the model? I already mentioned you can cover the majority of the objects in-game.

EDIT2: so what about dem trollans Ath :v:

11. Well I was making the model look as bad as I can anyways. For those who've seen what I've done in the past (but not too distance past), you probably already knew. Sorry for......trolling? (if that's what I've done) But whatever, next model will be x10 better.

EDIT: MAN, those dreads of Knuckles sure were annoying.....

How's this for you guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, so this is the real model.... There's still a lot of problems with the model but thought I'd post a WIP.

As always, tell me what you think, what's wrong with it, and what I can do to fix the problems.

EDIT 2: UPDATE OF MODEL
    [​IMG]

EDIT 3: COMPLETED MODEL

[​IMG]

I tweaked the model a bit. I think the model is done. As of now I think it's done, but what do you guys think? It would be helpful if you guys looked for the negative things about the model and tell me so I can fix it to make it better.

FINAL MODEL (UNTEXTURED)

I have one more post left, hope I get approved to become a full member

12. Ink

Ink

Homicidal Echidna Oldbie
    *blink*

What just happened here?

Yeah, I think that qualifies as trolling. o_O

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Approve this guy, Retro. Please.

The Knuckles model is looking ultra-impressive. However the front dreadlocks are really just sticking a little too far back and should be more forward towards the front of his face, because they look a little pulled back. I hope you understand what I mean by that.

14. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    masterful troll, approve this man at once. I demand it.

15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Hahahahahahahahaha. That was awesome how much you fooled us into thinking you're terrible at modeling. >_> That looks really, really good.

16. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Do you still need level designers?

17. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    God fucking damn. That looks brilliant.

Yes please.

18. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    o_o; Ahh... Classic trolling. :specialed:

Anyway the hat still looks too tall but this one is much better, the arms look like they could be moved back on his body a bit, otherwise what everybody else said.

19. dsrb

dsrb

I can't remember: was this in the post pre-editing? If so, shame on Retro's reading comprehension (me included) :v:

20. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling that Azukara wants me to show you my prop designs for Splashing Springs Zone.

And if he hasn't told you already, I named the Zone.