don't click here

Genocide City Zone in Sonic Adventure?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mystical Ninja, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    This is something I've noticed for a while ever since I first played Sonic Adventure DX and got to the final battle with Perfect Chaos. During that fight, Super Sonic and Perfect Chaos are in a destroyed, and flooded city. And from a scene they showed in the game, all the water was flooding the city, and killing thousands of people. The term "Genocide" means "massive killing". And the flood Perfect Chaos called seems to've drowned a massive amount of people.

2. nacurusu

nacurusu

Pending Member
    It really can be called from Genocide City, really, really. But I don't think that a zone from Sonic Adventure can have a connection with a from Sonic 2 :P

3. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    Erm.. Why not? They might have seen the fuss about it made by people like us.

4. Keith Hemari

Keith Hemari

Zen Gamer Oldbie
    It would help if we had any idea what the original GCZ was like.

Without that information, any guesses we make are just that: Guesses. Not even educated guesses.

BUt all we have is the name and that isn't very helpful.
    For example, lets take Flying Battery Zone. Now what exactly is Flying Battery Zone? Are we talking Duracells in space? Do we get to fight a rocket propelled bunny that keeps going and going and going and going as an end boss?

It seems that most levels in the main sonic games seem to have names which are more like general descriptions of the appearance.

Like:

Green Hill -- It's green and it's a hill, nuff said.

Hill Top -- A Hill, and you spend most of your time, guess where? At the top, right.

Sandopolis Zone -- Sand.. lots and lots of sand.. in what seems to be an old city, hence the 'opolis' bit

Wood Zone -- Trees, wood, yeah.

Mystic Cave Zone -- A Cavern, which is all dark and 'mystical'

Ice Cap -- lots of ice, with what appear to be chunks of ice floating on the surface of the water.. like at the polar caps.

Some don't fit quite right. The afore mentioned FBZ, Metropolis Zone, Scrap Brain, and Death Egg (though that is more of a pun), just to name a few.

Some names could apply to several zones. Aquatic Ruin could easily be called Mystic Ruin. Green Hill could be named Emerald Hill. And we could name both of those Hill Top and be somewhat right in both cases or even Emerald Coast because of the palm trees and water. Flying Battery could be Wing Fortress. And so on.

Point is that a name can fit several descriptions, depending on how one wants to look at it. And since most of the old Sonic games has names that were fairly vauge, we really can't infer much from a name alone.

5. Well, Flying Battery could be a power station desighned to manufacture the badniks you see in the zones as well as gather/deliver power to Eggman's master plan, the Death Egg. The name makes some sense. And we do have an image of Genocide City but it isn't very good, I've heard there are other ones but I havent seen them. And is it just me or does that scene in Sonic Adventure look exactly like The Day After Tomarow?

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    In fact it's so bad it's nonexistant.

7. Yes we do, unless it's fake. I'm talking about the crappy magazine image. I'll find it in a minute if nobody beats me to it.

8. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Well, duh, see all those capsules on the background? ;)

9. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Would you happen to mean this image?

10. No, I'm talking about this image.
    [​IMG]

11. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Ahh, yeah. I've seen that one before. On a site called SSG (Sonic Secrets Group), it was confirmed that the two screenshots of Genocide City (that one and another one) were fake.

12. Ah, okay. Took me a while to get back on and respond, my power just failed suddenly.

13. Kampfer

Kampfer

For those of you who don't know, a "battery" is another name for a turret.

EDIT:
    bat?ter?y
    n. pl. bat?ter?ies

The act of beating or pounding.
    Law. The unlawful and unwanted touching or striking of one person by another, with the intention of bringing about a harmful or offensive contact.

An emplacement for one or more pieces of artillery.
    A set of guns or other heavy artillery, as on a warship.
    An army artillery unit, corresponding to a company in the infantry.

An array of similar things intended for use together: took a battery of achievement tests.
    An impressive body or group: a battery of political supporters.
    Baseball. The pitcher and catcher.
    Music. The percussion section of an orchestra.
    Electricity.
    Two or more connected cells that produce a direct current by converting chemical energy to electrical energy.
    A single cell, such as a dry cell, that produces an electric current.

14. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    Well that name makes sense now.

Scrap Brain Zone still makes no sense though.

15. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

New Castle, Delaware
    Maybe it's implying that there are scrap robot parts in the level or something. I've heard before that machines/computers were like "brains".

16. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Scrap - as in scrap metal
    Brain - as in the centre of a giant operation where everything happens

17. EDIT: Bob beat me to it.

18. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Alright I could be wrong but, look back for a second. Remember the picture of Hidden Palace that was artwork, and that the background and some of the layout was different but it still "looked" the same? What if this zone looked kinda like this, but was different later on in other test carts, then was removed in our beta. Also, this could be wrong too, but did you ever stop to think about that sprite that people thought it might be for the zone but it was part of another game (I don't remember the name)? What if the sprite of the torch was going to be in Sonic 2, but was then decided to be included in another game? There are things in sonic 2 that we don't stop to think "what if?".

19. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    The name is the only piece of evidence we have. "A city that performs the systematic destruction of an entire race"? In my opinion, Scrap Brain fits the bill quite well.

20. AndyAML

AndyAML

Canada
    burp
    I highly doubt that they decided to put the torch in Chiki Chiki Boys after not using it in Sonic 2. With that logic, I could think, "What if those Ninja Turtles sprites in the Crackers rom were originally meant to be in the game?"

It's just a leftover from whatever was on the cart before they dumped the Sonic ROM on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.