don't click here

Homemade Sonic CD!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pumster, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pumster

Pumster

Hey everyone. First of all, it's nice to be part of the board - I've been going here for a while, but never thought of signing up. (By the way, that was a sexy test, Simon.) Anyway, I've recently taken an interest in 8- and 16-bit consoles, so I dusted off my Nintendo and Sega Genesis systems and started reliving "the good old days." Anyway, since Sonic CD (PC) is no longer playable, (Oops, I use XP!) I bought the original Sega CD version off Half. I'm emulating it in Gens, and the game is exceptionally sexy for a Sonic title. Anyway, here's my issue:
    Gens is awesome for Sega CD emulation, but there are some minor glitches in Sonic CD. First, there's a freeze bug that, typically, can occur anytime during a Zone's Second Act. In addition, the music usually jumps and many sound effects simply don't play. So, I thought, since I'm already illegally emulating this great game, why not create an ISO? I could keep the CD in mint condition, enjoy faster load times, and less glitches. However, I wanted the soundtrack to play with the ISO. Anyway, I came across Gens' alternate Help file, (Available on Gens' website.) which recommended a method that would create an ISO that also plays the Soundtrack files. (The Help file recommended Isobuster or CDRWin, BinChunker, and CDMage.) Anyway, I tried it, and it didn't work - the ".bin" would play without sound, and the ISO would close Gens. (Illegal Operation.) I was wondering, are there other methods you guys could recommend for creating an ISO with Soundtrack support? (Note: File Size is not an issue.)

2. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    First, a few months ago I found and fixed the main problem that prevented Sonic CD PC from running on Windows XP, so it IS playable, at least in windowed mode.

Second, emulation itself is not illegal. If you legally obtained a copy of Sonic CD, then it's perfectly fine to use Gens to play it (let's neglect BIOS files here).

Anyway, you could try to make an image of Sonic CD and mount that image in a virtual CD drive. That should be better than using the real CD. But the best format for Gens is probably the iso & mp3 combination. Rip the data track from the CD as simple mode 1/2048 iso file (or use CDmage or IsoBuster to extract the data track from a bin image) and rip each audio track as separate mp3 file.
    The mp3 files must have the same name as the iso file plus the track number, and they all must be in the same folder. So if you call the iso file "Sonic CD.iso" for example, then the audio tracks must be "Sonic CD 02.mp3", "Sonic CD 03.mp3" and so on.

3. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Playable, if choppy and with a lump of screen lopped off the bottom. It's easier for me to get a Win98 system. kthx.

4. BtCE

BtCE

*kisses 98 Second Edition*

5. Pumster

Pumster

Actually, Korama, I did try your Patch, and it did get the PC version working again. However, the port itself is still not the best way to experience Sonic CD, and I was willing to spend the extra $5 to buy the Sega CD version. (After all, Gens offers a larger screen, more graphical options, and, best of all, compatibility.) Nevertheless, thanks for releasing the awesome Patch, and thanks for the extra tips - I'll definitely try and make another ISO file.

EDIT: Time for a third thank you - your tips worked perfectly! Though the entire project took about 2 hours and 30 minutes, I finally have an awesome Sonic CD ISO with music! In addition, the sound issues I was having before seem to be gone! It's also worth noting that the entire game is now 150 MB in size, much lower than Sonic CD (PC) when fully installed and only about 30 MB bigger than the ISO from the "ROMS" topic. Anyway, just a tip for everyone, go buy the Game CD!

6. Dragon Emerald

Dragon Emerald

~nya! Member
    it seems like everytime I use the XP Patch, the rest of my DirectX Apps don't work or take a long time to load..... including Gens

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, I'm working on rewriting it so it's fully compatible with XP. I'm not sure if it'll ever get any better than this version, though. I may release it soon, but I'm focusing on Crackers for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.