don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    +1

I really don't the point of that article at all. It seems like the public discourse of this game has gone from "baaw green eyes" "nuh uh it's fine" to "you're a fucking idiot because you said blah blah" "no you'r e a fucking idiot because I like blah blah"

2. Tanks

Tanks

Like I said once in IRC... This thread is 3/4 "Ad Hominem," 1/8 correcting, retaliating against, or silencing those causing the "Ad Hominem," and 1/8 proper conversation including both positive and negative posts in relation to the game.

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    OK, here's a fucking idea. How about we stop talking about shit like green eyes and eye lids and Robotnik and people making ill-informed judgments on all sides? Because that's all I'm hearing for about 100 pages of this thread and I'm sick and tired of it.

4. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    That's exactly what the article is trying address, the baseless, childish criticism of a product that hasn't even been released yet, or been fully played by the entire Sonic community. We can only make so much judgments from watching a game being played.

If it's a good game, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. Either way, we deal with it by loving or hating the end result.

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Sigged for awesome truth.

I'm tired of hearing "stop complaining, Sega's giving you what you always wanted!" How can they possibly know what each and every Sonic fan has always wanted? The formula is different for all of us.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This delay has been the most exciting thing to come of this project for me, topping even the initial announcement of the game's existence by far. It's as if they actually care about the project now. I'm just so proud of you, Sega.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Okay, I'm sick of people completely misunderstanding what the article was about:

At no point does he even imply that you're not allowed to dislike this game in any way. The article is about those with BLIND HATRED. The ones who saw the words "new game" and instantly replied, "it's gonna be shit". These are the same people that complained, "Summer release date means it'll be rushed," and then complained, "Delay? Now they'll spend more time doing nothing."

You can love or hate this game all you want. But BASE your opinion on WHAT YOU SEE, not what you think in your optimistic/pessimistic mind is inevitably going to happen. I see a fairly solid, slightly fast-paced platformer that is not without its flaws, but looks fun. That's my opinion.

Will they improve it? They said they will, and I believe them. Will they fix all the problems I/Retro would like them to fix? I doubt it. But this doesn't matter, because it's nothing but speculation, and forming an opinion on speculation is exactly what those with BLIND HATRED are doing. My opinion sits firmly based on what I've seen, not what I might or might not see.

8. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Wait so you're agreeing with me right?

[​IMG]

10. Deef

Deef

Personally I'm tired of people writing "You f**king idiots" to their readers.

Or is that allowed here?

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This really makes no sense.

12. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Yes it does.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    The product you are presenting does not interest me as it does not meet my expectations. I would rather not consume it.

Goodness gracious why must you insist on complaining over the tiniest details. It's what you've been asking for you fool.

It may look like that to you based on the original advertisement but apon closer inspection it's not quite up to par with what I was originally exp-

I say, always finding the smallest detail to take issues with.

15. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This is basically how I read the article. My issue isn't that we shouldn't raise objections—we should. There's a lot to object to. However, when that dissent turns into either superficial items or echo chamber opinions with no concrete basis, no one's being served. You can argue about level design but if you only watched one playthrough, you only saw one angle. There's been multiple runs that show different things that have to be considered. You can argue about the models but if you say Sonic's pre-rendered when he's not (it's the Unleashed model with the textures modified in Photoshop) you're not being informed and come off as dumb to those who have learned about this, and then the argument turns to that person being wrong about the model versus the underlying problems of using a 3D model.

Object away, but for fuck's sake don't do it blindly. Then we'll just get a really shiny turd.

16. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    Wow, looks like my article hit a nerve somewhere. Glad it's getting some discussion going or something. I'll just say that reading is a virtue though. I'm far from saying people with negative views are idiots. Nor am I saying that people who have negative feelings shouldn't do so. Man, I don't give a shit. Knock yourself out.

But when you act like a total wanktard all over the internets because of some retarded notion of what you personally think Sonic should be like based on circumstantial concepts of 'greatness' (hey guys, remember gameplay?), that's when it gets a little bit silly. Opinions are like arseholes after all - although trying to enforce that view on others forcefully sort of makes the arsehole become you, doesn't it?

Another thought covering the 'gameplay' wit I made above; it's true that some have had the chance to play it thanks to PartnerNET. But I find it shocking that those who seem to have some vested interest in seeing this game fail are buying gameplay opinions from "some anon" only to say they can't trust publications like IGN the very next second. The irony is amazing. That, and it really doesn't disprove my point about the video only telling a very objective side of the story.

This is good though, discussion on this. I've said my bit over there somewhere already, agree or disagree if you like. I'd rather you guys didn't just close your ears and pretend that overwhelming negativity in the community isn't happening, however. Because let's face it, it is. The way I've seen a small number of people treat one another on SSMB, TSS - even here - is really quite shitty. Doesn't need to happen, does it? Whether you think that me (or anyone else) telling others to 'chill out' is tedious, lame, 'gay' or whatever doesn't matter, because it's simply true.

Me? I gave up taking what people say to heart a long time ago. If I hadn't, I'd probably be focusing my attention on trolls right now - it's been a pathetically hilarious week when it comes to digs at me. Instead, I thought I'd just write a little piece in my spare time to try and think of ways to fix the situation we have here in our community. It's hardly authoritative though, so I don't see why you all need to go on the uber-defensive about it really. If you're really, truly offended by what I wrote, then I don't know. I'll pass you a beer or something. Unless you don't drink, in which case Cola. Unless you're off sugar, in which case water. Unless you're picky, in which case fuck off. ;)

TL;DR - Those of you who thought my article was about people being negative about Sonic 4 sorely missed the point.

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Not really so much, no, because it's easy to distrust official publications when the general idea of them either being fed only what SEGA wants them to see, or just being flat-out corrupt in and of themselves, is floating around. It's fairly easy to understand why people distrust the press when marketing being positive-looking is a prominent early phase of that mythical "Sonic Cycle" everyone's so terrified of. The problem as I see it is that "some anon" is a riskier source to trust in other regards, for fairly obvious reasons that people seem oh-so-ready to dismiss.

18. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    You make a fair point to a degree, and I hear what you're saying - it's somewhat easier for bigger publications to bend to the will of advertising, particularly in previews. But I don't recall a recent review from any reputable publication doing the same. In fact, these outlets tend to get a fair bit of rage from super-positive fans with blinkered vision because they've 'rated a game too low.' In fact, I'd say general review scores for Sonic Unleashed, Mario & Sonic, Black Knight et al have been pretty much on the mark.

You're right though, there are other reasons that "some anon" can't be trusted beyond the argument I made.

19. Deef

Deef

So you don't like people acting like wanktards, but don't mind people having negative views. Excellent.

If you can make that separation, then you could also realise that on-topic counter arguments do nothing to quell rude behaviour. If someone is going to think and write with immaturity, quoting fresh Sonic 4 facts and perspectives is a waste of a debate. You're either going to let them run with it or insult them back. The bad behaviour is the poster, not the subject matter.

In other words, separate the Sonic 4 arguments from the "stop acting like you're 8" arguments. Don't combine the two in one response.

20. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    ... Sure?

I put the two together because they are connected.

An opinion piece is about the writer's experience, yes? To argue otherwise would make it not an 'opinion piece,' correct? So by that conclusion, the 'bad behaviour' hardly lies with me. I'm writing about what I see. And what I see is a select number of fans acting like idiots. The common theme of their idiocy? Their negativity.

The fact that you can be negative without being a total sponge doesn't negate my point that the common theme in this wanktardry IS the negativity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.