don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Crap, sorry to post here so much.

It pretty much goes off the last post, because I thought the problem was fixed, but apparently not. When I loaded up SonMapEd and looked in the Sonic 2 folder where the folders were located, there were no files. I tried splitting it again, and it only shows the folders. Now what did I do wrong?

2. Keep the folder as close to C: .... CMD doesn't like to dig into the drive.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    In particular, make sure you don't have any symbols or spaces in your folder/file names, as that tends to mess it up a lot as well.

4. Volpino

Volpino

The folder was on my desktop originally, now I put it in my documents, still won't work. Where can I put this that won't mess up my computer?

5. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    There is nothing wrong with putting it in the same place as your Program Files and other related folders. Just go to My Computer and click on your C: Drive. Put it in there.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Notice how "My Documents" has a space in it... You can, as said before, just put it in C:/

7. Volpino

Volpino

Still didn't work, and I put it in C;/

8. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    Are you sure you are choosing to load the right type of file?

9. Volpino

Volpino

I named the Sonic 2 ROM s2.bin and put it in the folder, and then I load up the file named 'split' and then it just gives me an error saying it crashed.

10. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    So split.bat is not working?
    Or are you trying to load split.exe or .bat in SonMapED? I'm not following too well.

11. Volpino

Volpino

The former. I'm directly clicking on it, from the folder, and it's crashing.

12. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    OK, what disassembly are you using? You might need a s1comb file.

13. Volpino

Volpino

Sonic 2 (Split and Text by Xenowhirl), or the second one listed here under Sonic 2 final.

14. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    Oh then nevermind. Forgot you are using Sonic 2. Can you take a screenshot of the error?

15. Volpino

Volpino

16. Re-download the disassembly—make sure your ROM is named s2, not s2.bin—if it's already a binary file and you add another .bin to it—it won't work.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Ok... this is probably something unbelievably obvious and I can't see it, but oh well.

I'm having problems with the spin tube transporters in Scrap Brain. In the first act, I placed a simple 'propels the player up' transporter, but when Sonic walked into it, the game crashed. So, I used a different byte on the object, and it flew him into the sky. Ditching the idea completely in Act1, while trying in Act2, the same thing happens!

As you can see with the image, it is meant to take Sonic down, but instead it just throws him off the side. I have not changed the byte with this object, it is as it is in a similar tube transporter in the original Act 2. Any help appreciated.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    The transporter object will send you to the coordinates indicated at Obj72_Data in the code, according to the subtype on the teleporter object. Obj72_Data identifies an array of offsets to the data; just add entries if you need more transporters. The data itself contains a word telling how many bytes are to be read (should be a multiple of 4), then a series of words telling the X and Y positions to reach. This means you could create complex paths if you wanted to.

If I'm not mistaken, act 1 doesn't contain any transporters, so if you want to use them in act 1 too (why wouldn't you? :P ), you'll have to use different subtype IDs or make the code load different data in Obj72_Main depending on which act the player is in.

19. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Could someone post the Sonic 2 DAC samples decompressed at 8bits?

I'm on 64-bit and can't run the Sonic 1 sound decompression tool (I can't remember the exact name of it right now).

20. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I was wanting to modify the Teleporters for my hack so that Sonic could go back through them (the hack involves retraversal), and lo, here's exactly what I need to know as I went reading through the thread!

When I was implementing new Teleporter subtypes with new paths, though, it started to screw some things up in the disassembly, and I ended up having to move the Tele_Data around (I put it in a separate .asm under \_inc) to avoid conflicts. I don't know if Ell will have this problem or not.

Also, SBZ Act 2's vertical wrapping makes choosing the proper coordinates for the paths kind of tricky. I had to experiment with negative coordinates on some of them.