don't click here

Gens/GS for Haiku OS (updated build instructions)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mad Echidna, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I just got a nice email from the guy who is porting Gens/GS to Haiku OS, and it has some pretty interesting details. Not sure if anyone cares about this besides me, but there it is.

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The underscore issue is rather interesting. Technically, it's a violation of the DNS standards, but most DNS resolvers support it. The Haiku devs should add support for it.

In any case, I added an alias, gs-server.gerbilsoft.ddns.info .

EDIT: With regards to menus, it should be relatively easy to parse the main menu structure and create a Haiku menu. Gens/GS already does that on Windows and Linux. (There's a field for specifying menu icons, but the menu parser doesn't need to implement that. The Linux version does, but the Windows version does not.)

3. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Thanks for setting up the haiku friendly alias gerb!

For the record, I managed to find a build of Allegro for Haiku, and got the old Gens BeOS binary to run with Sonic 2. Sound emulation worked as expected, but the window wasn't updating at all. I found that moving it off screen caused it to redraw and the game _was_ running, just not updating the window. Can't help but wonder if this is a limitation of the Haiku appserver or just a shitty port of Allegro. Either way, Phil doesn't plan to use Allegro so it shouldn't matter in the long run.

4. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Hey Gerbilsoft, that URL is no longer working. I just get "This website doesn't exist. Go away."

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
  6. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Maybe Cyberkitsune and I can start bugging people about a Haiku port again. I don't think it would be all that hard considering there already is SDL for Haiku, but I don't know shit about coding.

7. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    If Gens/GS II uses Qt4 for the GUI, it wouldn't really matter that much, since Qt4 already has a full blown Haiku port. Granted, the underpinnings probably need to be ported, like the actual emulation and the output mechanisms, but since SDL is already there for Haiku, not a big deal.

It is possible that the only thing needed would be a recompile to make it work.

8. CyberKitsune

CyberKitsune

Never enough time. Member
    aaaaaaaaa
    I have SDL, libpng, OpenGL Headers, qt4, etc for Haiku ready to go on my dev box, though still a native GUI would be better but meh.

The core itself should and may compile with little source modification, as after all it's just gcc4 and those libs, though GerbilSoft may have his own libs that won't work with out patching etc.

So basically, I'll grab the source as soon as I can and see if I can get the core to compile, then wait for Gerbil to either make a haiku native GUI or get the planned at one somewhat done.