don't click here

Sonic 3 and Knuckles, a new lease of life

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by UtopiaUK, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    Update

Well it has been a long time since I updated this thread but I have crafting away for the past 4 months trying to make the hack even better. A release date is still not in the near future but good things are set. Anyway I would like to start by showing off a few new updates.

[​IMG]
    I have been altering the special stage pallettes so they coordiante with the emerald colour. Green stage for green emerald etc. I think they make the stages feel alot more fresh and more new.

[​IMG]
    Just some more fresh pallette edits except for the bonus stage which has had a new layout put in to make it more of a challenge.

[​IMG]
    Hydrocity, now this zone has had a huge amount of work done to it. Act 1 is a mixture of high speeds above water but taking on a Labyrinth Zone style for underwater. Act 2 is alot more fun with each character's paths breaking off after the wall chase. Also notice the new warmer above water pallettes, while the underwater looks icy cold and harsh. Also notice the cycle pallette edit in the top left screenshot.

Well that is all for now, Launch Base Screenshots coming soon.

Enjoy and comment :)

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That's "a new lease ON life," actually.

/commonly-known-sayings-nazi

EDIT: Now, to give an actual opinion:

I like the idea of the design mentality behind your Hydrocity Zone layout, but the palette looks really bland to me. I don't like it when a zone's aesthetic is dominated by a single color (no matter how many shades there are) in a way that doesn't contrast itself properly, and personally that color scheme for Hydrocity just doesn't do it for me.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Agreed on the colour front. It looks nice, but it needs more than just red. Couldn't you throw some green in the background somewhere? You'd be surprised at how much difference it makes.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Didn't make much difference for Hill Top Zone, though I suspect that's more because the level was the same color as Sonic and an obvious Emerald Hill respray in the same game as Emerald Hill.

Bleargh, I hate Hill Top's design...

EDIT: Also, why was the hill top blue? Why was the only semi-lava level in the stage blue? What drunken excuse for an art director thought coloring 80% of the stage the same color as the main character was good art design?

5. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

6. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member

I don't think it would be a good idea to use a single color for each special stage. You need contrast if you want to make it visually appealing. Here's what I suggest:

Green emerald stage: (Green and Light Brown tiling, Light Blue sky)
    Yellow emerald stage: (Dark Purple and Turquoise tiling, Dark Blue sky)
    Magenta emerald stage: (Beige and Dark Orange tiling, Light Blue sky)
    Blue emerald stage: (Red and White tiling, Black sky)
    White emerald stage: (Orange and Purple tiling, Light Blue sky)
    Red emerald stage: (Dark Blue and Cyan tiling, Blue Sky)
    Cyan emerald stage: (Yellow and Purple tiling, Blue Sky)

In case you haven't noticed by now, + - the color schemes are based off the original 7 zones of Sonic 3 (including Flying Battery).  

Disregard.

7. dsrb

dsrb

I think I recall reading that this is the case in plain S3 (unless that's what you mean), albeit maybe that a different rule was used in S&K.

8. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I feel like an idiot for not realizing just how similar these palettes are to the originals. I did notice the fourth was exactly the same at the time of writing, though I have no excuse for not trying to change it to something else.

9. Omfg! Awesome screenshots.
    I was only asking the other day about hacks for Sonic3/K and the lack of them! I must have skimmed over this topic when trying to look for hacks!

EDIT

Suggestion - I mentioned this idea in another thread the other day so it might be more appropriate here.

Can you make Hidden Palace into 2 acts? Act one being similar to Lava Reef 2 (like the original) just with minor palette edits and make it play through like an actual level with enemies and everything in (no boss maybe) and then have Act 2 where you fight Knuckles use more of the original Sonic 2 level design (not the background though) with maybe a palette change but the colourful light up bridges DEFINITELY would be awesome to see!

EDIT 2-

Another suggestion I just thought of. I always loved the design of the competition levels, so it would be awesome to see them actually used as FULL Levels with new/rehashed enemies and rings and all that jazz. Especially Chrome Gadget and the Cavern type one (Brain dead now... damn)

10. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    I can answer that for him. That requires ASM. Which my Disassembly is not released yet so it's much harder for people to do ASM in S3K. The half finished disassembly is a nice start for people to look at to grasp the basics but they won't be able to do much without things fully labeled.

11. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    OMG! I love the changes you have done to the special stages, and the palets on most of the levels. The title screen and save select look nice too. The bonus stage looks awesome, kinda like a S1 Special Stage without the S3K elements! Will you be editing the other bonus stages (Gumball, and Glowing Spheres) too?

12. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    Well Gumball you can't really do much to. Glowing Spheres is something I really want to look into. I will definately try to edit that one.

13. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Glad to see your still working on this, I thought it died :(.

14. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    There's really no better way to say this, but I'm loving the palettes because they are...for lack of a better word..."fixed." Not that the original S3K ones were bad, I just feel like the game has a pseudo-HD feel to it. Less fake, more of the colors you might actually expect to see, especially in your AIZ, MGZ, MHZ, and FBZ screenshots in your sig. Most palette edits I see are atrocious, but I really like this "fixing" approach, whether you see it that way or not.

15. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Finally, an update! Love what you done with the menu palettes and by the looks of the screenshots, those special stages will be intense.
    I like what I see AND read.

16. The palettes are kind of bland. They're very desaturated, and they make me feel like I'm playing GTA IV. Except Marble Garden. The Autumn look works swimmingly with that stage. Carnival Night is good too, but it still looks similar to the original (being generically colorful, that is). You should consider making drastic changes to CNZ that will stand out from the original.

The layouts however are excellent, from what I've seen. Keep that up.

17. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK

Sonic 3 Resort Island
    A quick preview of Flying Battery Act 1's music and layout. Enjoy and comment :)

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t;object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGuKgCoZaFI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGuKgCoZaFI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t;object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGuKgCoZaFI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGuKgCoZaFI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

18. I am liking Flying Battery's new tune!

Also the pallete goes quite well with the zone! Excellent work!

19. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    As I said on msn, your doing an awsome job so keep it up. And I await for a release :) .

20. Agent of Chaos

Agent of Chaos

I like the remix of Flying Battery. The original is probally one of my fav's from the series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.