don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

E1 doesn't really take any cues from S3K. Bubbles was the most fitting enemy for homing chains (I expect him to be the only enemy to appear in other episodes) and Batbot was the next logical Badnik for a pinball stage. Hopefully E2 will take cues not only from 3K, but also CD if it more about original content.

2. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Whoa why hasn't that level been ripped yet? I want to see it but Flash keeps hanging on me...

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    [​IMG]

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Splash Hill Zone Act 0 :specialed:

But in all seriousness, that layout actually looks pretty fun despite nearly being a straight line.

5. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    It's not a full layout, you know; just a horizontal slice of one.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I didn't really have that mentality in mind. While I was all for HD sprites/ classic style in Sonic 4 (I even joined a petition for an optional classic character model to be included :P) and level design based on the complex and multiple routes from Sonic 3/ Knuckles, I've come to accept what Sega is doing. For one, the character model isn't going to change; Sega officially changed Sonic's look in 1998 and they will not deviate from it. It's disappointing to me, but that's the way it goes.

In regards to level design, when it comes to the classic games, fans are much more vocal about Sonic 2, it seems, than Sonic 3. So naturally, in addition to what they're used to as far as level design with the Advanced/ Rush games, Dimps will go with that type of level design. Again, not my personal preference, but thems the cards we've been dealt; lets make the best of it.

I think of the franchise as an individual coming out of an abusive relationship. It can get back on it's feet, but it requires small steps at first. I feel Sonic 4 is a baby step to bringing Sonic back to being great. Granted, it may stumble and go awry occasionally, but if this game is even marginally successful, I believe Sega and Dimps will re-think their design philosophy and begin putting out some very high-quality products. At least that's what I'm optimistic for :v:

7. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    That's why I said nearly. ;)

8. glem3

glem3

Haha... I was just playing this rom hack (Sonic pixel perfect) and look what happened:

[​IMG]

PANIC

9. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    The irony is simply delicious.

... but then again that's probably why they never put those there in the first place.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That's a piece of hilarity right there.

Moving away from physics pettyness - I do like the look of that level layout. I wonder if that's something they've just whipped up or from the iPhone port?

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    There were a few in Sonic CD. Anyone want to test to see whether Sonic can crouch on slopes in Collision Chaos Zone?

12. GameboyHero

GameboyHero

The amount of bullshit he has to deal with...poor Member
    TX
    Those slopes were in CCZ? Never saw any in my playthrough. I DO know there's some in SSZ so I'll check there.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Those slopes were never used in the original games because of that result from the engine. If the new one responds the same way, it's still a pretty irresponsible design choice.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    There was only one, to my knowledge, in the entirety of the Zone.

15. GameboyHero

GameboyHero

The amount of bullshit he has to deal with...poor Member
    TX
    That would explain it. You can really only find them in S/curve L tunnels. And yes, it's in Sonic CD:
    [​IMG]
    But Tweaker already explained WHY they weren't in the originals and then some.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    At the same time though, it does point out that the engine used in S4 is pretty close to the original =P

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, not really; all it proves is that it has a similar way of interacting with slopes, and rightfully so—the Rush engine was based off all of the Advance engines before it, all the way back to the original Advance. The problem is that it's been drastically modified to deal with a change in creative direction over the last 8 or so years, so it's not quite as on-par with the classics as it could be. I'm fairly sure that's just another intentional creative decision, though, especially given the design of the levels and how much they rely on the intricacies of the physics engine.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah... because, you know, a small sloped area in Sonic CD—arguably the most deviant classic Sonic game of the bunch—made with the intention of segueing into a tube is totally representative of how it's used casually in game.

Also, did you ever notice how incredibly awkward those sections are when they're used in game? A good portion of the time you've very likely to fly off those segments; when you don't, it jerks the camera all around and disorients the player. They weren't a 100% safe bet when it came to a traversable level gimmick like other things (loops, tubes, et al), so it wasn't a smart idea to use them. It works a bit better in the Rush engine, sure, but it's still a really weird surface gimmick to use.

19. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Ahh, good times. I should really work on that again some time.

But more related to the thread, I liked the idea, then when I saw the first leaked video I hated it, then with Sega updates I liked it again, and now with all the footage I don't know how to feel anymore. The physics seem off to me, the reused level designs from the classic game feel like more lazy than nostalgic, and the idea of it being called Sonic 4 makes me rage. If it was called something like New Sonic The Hedgehog I wouldn't have that much of a problem. Calling it Sonic 4 reminds me of Megaman thus I want more 16bit.

20. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I remember trying something like that in Sonic 1 recently out of curiosity as to how it handled it. same result. Seemed like there was little difference other than Sonic 4's 3D model sort of hugging the slope whereas with the genesis game the sprite ends up floating.

Thought it was funny, but at that point one reason I probably didn't post about it was fear of getting ripped to shreds with how heated discussion of the engine was getting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.