don't click here

Sonic Heroes

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ComPro, Apr 10, 2004.

Do you recommend buying Sonic Heroes?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Many of you have played Sonic Heroes, and I just want to know if you'd recommend it. I got an Xbox demo disc in the mail today with Sonic Heores on it as a playable demo, and it looks pretty good.

Is it worth spending $50 on?

-ComPro

2. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    My advice is to avoid the PS2 version. It has the worst graphics of the bunch and it chugs at half the speed of the GC and X-box versions.

Personally, I thought it was a better than Sonic Adventure 2. Be aware though, that you WILL die a lot in the game.

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

It's a pretty good game, I like going through and replay all my favorite levels. The special stage is crap with all the getting slowed down on the sides but like all the 3-d sonic games tails voice sucks.

4. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Yea, he sounds like he has a cold.

5. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I do recommend it. It's an excellent game... provided you buy it for the GameCube.

6. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    By all means, buy it, but as has been said before, avoid the PS2 version. (Something to do with draw distance and SFX, I've heard.) I have the Xbox version, and it's great.

I guess you could get the GCN version, if you have a GCN.

7. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    The GCN is the best, to tell the truth. Quicker load times then the XBOX, has 'shimmering' graphic effects NOT seen in the other two versions, has the most consistant frame rate of the 3, and the best control scheme for it's setup ;)

XBOX is 2nd best, but it has a tad bit more frame rate problems then the GCN version.

PS2's is only good for the Japanese Voice Option.

8. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    I have xbox ver and I just have some frame rate problems sometime (2 player)

9. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I would recommend getting it. If you liked the grinding in Sonic Adventure 2, you'll definitely like this game. Half of the levels require good grinding skills. Though it is fairly easy to beat, it's still fun to play.

10. NickW

NickW

I would recommend getting it, but for the GC. The xbox and PS2 versions were ported from the GC version.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If you live in Europe, avoid the GC version. It plays faster than it should due to lousy localization.

And if you're not a teenager anymore just avoid the game and buy two old second-hand games instead.

12. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    It does? I hven't noticed that... maybe it's because I play it in 60Hz mode.

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Faster? O_o - that seems odd. Most of the time, 60Hz games play slower at 50Hz when not optimized for the slower speed.

And as Quickman said, if your TV supports PAL-60, then you can use that instead. (Or just skip PAL altogether and use RGB SCART. Damn you America TV manufacturers for not giving us RGB SCART, component video is crap. ;))

14. Mystic

Mystic

Oldbie
    Sonic Robo Blast 2
    I dunno, I personally didn't enjoy it as much as the rest of the people commenting did. Playing through as Team Sonic was fun, no question, but playing through 3 more times got old really fast, and the reward (The Super Sonic stage) really sucks ass. Also, it doesn't have the fun replayability of the Advance games for just running through the game because of the fact that the bosses are utter pants. Only the first and last bosses in the game are any good at all. So it's just not fun to run through the game again, like the old Sonic games and the Advance series are. The unlockables aren't good either...multiplayer modes for emblems? Gimme a break.

Basically, I don't think it's worth the 50 dollar price tag. It'll probably be better to wait until it drops in price to 20-30 dollars before buying it. At that point, it'll be a good deal for your money. It's Sonic, and it's better than SA1/SA2, but not by much.

15. Hyper Knuckles?

Hyper Knuckles?

Pending Member
    Eh, personally I thought it sucked. I had pretty high hopes for this game, and it was a definate let-down. I'm probably biased, though, because I'm too accustomed to the 2-D games, bought the PS2 version, or whatever you can think up of to defend it. Honestly, though, it had little to no replay value, since it just repeats the levels over and over again, without too much difference. In my opinion it needed a little more work and a little less shiny.

16. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I'm wondering if I'm the ONLY person to buy games and play it like a brand new game; NOT some 'successor to a legacy and should have high expectations of it'.

17. Mystic

Mystic

Oldbie
    Sonic Robo Blast 2
    Well, if it weren't for its "legacy", Sonic Heroes would have been dismissed as a subpar platformer and gone into the land of obscurity like all of the other games of its type. We've all seen many attempts to get into the platformer business over the years, and many have been spectacular failures. If Sonic Heroes was the first game in a series, it would have been written off completely. It's the Sonic legacy that makes most of us interested in the game in the first place. Hence, the fact that it doesn't live up to the quality of the original games is a major issue, since the series will eventually just crash if it stays of this quality, like Tomb Raider did.

I still believe that the Sonic design can work in 3D. When SA1/2 and SH are doing it right, it's a thrilling and great experience. When it's doing it wrong, however, it goes so terribly wrong it's painful. If they do those things we've been bitching about for years, like keeping to the original play design of Sonic speed and fixing that awful camera, I believe that they really could live up to the legacy.

Oh well, I'm ranting now. *shuts up*

18. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Anybody mentioning Croc at this point will die. I like that game, it's my favourite Saturn game.

19. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Actually, despite the bullshit special stages and crappy camera/falling offedness, I think Sonic Heroes would gone down even better if it wasn't a Sonic game.

It may not have *Sold* as well, but the critics would have loved it

It's only because people are comparing it to what are generally considered to be the best games ever constantly through tinted oldschool glasses htat it gets so underrated.

20. Mystic

Mystic

Oldbie
    Sonic Robo Blast 2
    As I was saying, though, it wouldn't have started a new series. It's too crappy to do that. Henceforth, it would have been greatly ignored as a game. Simply put, there are a ton of better platformers coming out today, and without the Sonic game and legacy, it would have been totally ignored as a crappy platformer.

Even if all the critics said it was an okay platformer, it still would have totally failed as a game and as a series without the Sonic name. An okay platformer just won't sell copies of a game unless stupid parents are involved. Since sequel demand is created by copies sold and public opinion, it wouldn't have gone anywhere because of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.