don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You've checked it yourself?

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

No, I don't own any version of the DS, I just know from what people have told me who own the lite, and DSi that all games run smoother.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    All games? Now that, I find harder to believe.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

The DSi has double the CPU power, why is that hard to believe?

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    For the same reason that GC games don't run smoother on the Wii. Ever play Geist? It's just as laggy on Wii as it is on the GC.

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

The Wii limits its power when running GC games, and turns off everything the GC didn't have. The DSi on the other hand doesn't seem to do that.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Doesn't work like that. Want to see what happens when DS games don't run at the native clock speed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYIvASbELkw

tl;dr - giving the DS more processing power doesn't make games run smoother - it just speeds them UP.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Except the DS processor is hardcoded to say that 1 second is x CPU cycles. Speed up the processors, it'll speed up everything. The DSi, however, was designed with this in mind, and so it says that 1 second is y CPU cycles.

td;dr - An overclocked processor is not the same as one that natively runs faster.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Where did you get that info?

tl;dr - sourcepls

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Is it not the Sonic Retro policy to stick to facts and back them up with sources anymore? :3

11. I was playing Mario Kart DS on a DS Lite and a DSi via multiplayer, and there was no difference.

Stop making shit up, kids.

12. Covarr

Covarr

I fixed my post here in this quote to say what it should have said. I am a poor communicator. I meant to speak in generalities, to say not to rule out that possibility that this is the case, not to say that it definitely is. My point was simply that just because speeding up a DS does this doesn't necessarily mean that running on the DSi has the same results.

In reality, I'm not terribly familiar with either the ARM7 or the ARM9, but I can say I've seen this behavior on other processors, particularly older PC processors.

(Covarr doesn't terribly enjoy admitting when he said something stupid, but it's better than backing himself into a corner and looking even stupider)

However, I did say before that I suspected there was no difference, when comparing the DSi to the Wii.

13. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Case and point, guys, they gave it a DSi header so that the DSi could possibly give it an oomph for processing, hopefully to make the game run smoother. If my idea is the case, it's actually a good move.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Guys... playing this on the DSi or DSi XL will not magically make it better by any stretch. The game will not run smoother on either and the screen size increase on the XL will probably make things look uglier since it's still the same resolution, but just bigger in an inches/centimetres scale.

15. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Oh good, because sorry S3&K, not even you're worth paying £150 for a DSi to POSSIBLY have you slightly smoother.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Is it not possible for modern DS games to see that they are running on a DSi and do some extra things with the game? always possible the emulator knows there is more power to use.

17. Kazo

Kazo

About the DSi, ever since it was released it was said that if you play a regular DS game, it runs in what is called DS Mode, which means the extra RAM and CPU power is not accessible to the game running. In order for a game to have the ability to use any of the DSi's extra hardware, the game need to be DSi enhanced, meaning even though its a regular DS game, when running on the DSi, the DSi has the extra DSi hardware unlocked to be used by the running game. Since there was that big fuse about the game being DSi enhanced or not due to the header and the fact that it was built with the DSi SDK makes me believe that the game does have some form of DSi enhanced features where the game utilizes the extra RAM and CPU power to increase performance.

Also, about the slowdowns everyone is saying is happening all the time. I my self am not just seeing it. Sure there are times where the emulator seems to enable a frame skipping feature, but that game it self doesn't seem to actually slow down, only on some rare occasions, have I seen it really slow down.

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The game must be specially programmed or signed with some key to access the DSi mode (double CPU and super RAM size). I don't even know if it is possible to ask a normal DS for the DSi mode without some crash, so it might not be possible to build a game to run in both modes depending on hardware detection.

19. Kazo

Kazo

That is the whole point of the DSi type header of DSi enhanced games, when the DSi sees this, it boots the game in DSi Mode. having all the extra hardware available. On the software side something as simple as retrieving the amount of free ram available on boot could determine if it is running on a DS or a DSi in DSi Mode.

*EDIT*

I figure out a way to enable debug mode for Knuckles in Sonic 3.

Start a new game and play through the entire game. After you have beaten the game, you are able to to pick any level on that save file. Now start on Zone 1 (Angle Island), go to the first swinging rope and hang on it and then press Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Up, Up, and Up. If done correctly, you will here a ring sound. Now die over and over until you get a game over, if you have any continues, do not use them, wait for the counter to goes to zero. Now go back to the same save file and this time select act 7 (Mushroom Hill). Go to the first pulley that is right past the dude that throws mushrooms and the Speed Shoes box. (Knuckles needs to back track on Sonic's path once you get to the point where they merge) While hanging on it, press Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Up, Up, and Up. If done correctly, you will here a ring sound. Now die, and hold Y until the level reloads. Press B to confirm that the entire code has been enabled successfully. Get another game over if you wish to change levels. Just make sure to hold down Y when ever a level is loading.

20. Badnik

Badnik

OK, so I've been on the fence about getting this and I was curious about the DSi enhancement so I bought it this morning. I boot it up in my DSi and... nothing. It won't play, it just shows the grey icon as if there is no cart inserted.

After a few minutes of head-scratching, I think I figured it out. My DSi is a Japanese model, impulsivelly bought at launch. And DSi games are region locked. So I think there is some kind of enhancement of this game when played on a DSi, but of course I can't confirm it. It would explain the conflicting reports of how it runs, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.