don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The extra scrolling is pretty similar to the vertical scrolling in PocketNES emulator for GBA that can be seen if you set it to follow the main character. I'd imagine it's the emulator doing that.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hmm, the game doesn't look TOO bad. Works for playing a classic game during a long car/bus journey but otherwise I'd just play the originals on many MANY other compilations. The lack of multiplayer is also a big letdown for me, all the wasted potential too (playing Sonic and Tails co op with a screen for each player, c'mon).

3. NickW

NickW

410890 bytes? Are you sure you are comparing it to the REV 01 rom? I only get around < 400 bytes changed.

4. Innocence

Innocence

(ノ-_-)ノ Member
    Apparently, the ROM dumped by VENOM was a "bad dump", since it has major framerate issues not in the actual game. That's probably why it was removed from gbatemp's "list of dumped games."

I'll wait until a proper dump appears, so I can play the game without any silly issues. =o

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That might be why, as I compared it to the superior rom, the only one I have on my hard drives. Thanks for clarifying that up.

6. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Bah. I didn't see that.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Nope. The dump was just fine, but some dumbass confused antipiracy for a bad dump and it was nuked. It has since been "unnuked", so to speak.

The framerate issues are real, though I don't know how they compare on real hardware to emulation.

8. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    It seems that they changed a lot of things in the rom itself. The IDs are unique and don't match to the dumps we have, for example:

Sonic1:
    REV00: GM 00001009-00&JJ
    REV01: GM 00004049-01..J
    REV02: GM 00004049-01/.J
    REV03: GM 00004049-019MJ

I made up "REV03", that's the SCC rom. There are differences in the rom, but they're self explanatory if you played with the collection to notice the differences. The level select cheat has been removed (well, you can get the ring sound to appear - but you can't enter the menu), and the HUD has been repositioned to fit the DS resolution.

So are these new compiles?

9. Covarr

Covarr

No it hasn't, yes you can.
    [​IMG]

edit: Has anybody tried running these modified ROMs in jenesisds? It's possible that they're exploiting a bug in JenesisDS to make deliberately bad ROMs work.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I ARYINTH 7ONE, ?INAL ZONE and I can't even write Green Hill the way it's displayed there. Why did they scale it instead of cutting the screen on all sides?

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Those changed bytes aren't part of the "IDs". That's the ROM checksum.

12. Covarr

Covarr

As I guessed, all four ROMs boot up on JenesisDS.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, they're less than perfect.

[​IMG]

Notice the black horizontal lines across the screen (this only happens in Sonic 2 I can't get those to appear again. Huh.). Also note the HUD is cut off, suggesting that the emulator has been moving the HUD.

What you can't see in these blurrycam pics is that there's no horizontal scrolling on the bosses like in Sonic Classic Collection, meaning that was also handled by the emulator. Interestingly, the framerates seem slightly more fluid than on Sonic Classic Collection, but I only played SCC on No$GBA and not on real hardware, so that may not worth mentioning. Music and sound are fully intact, so they weren't removed in SCC, simply unemulated. Another thing I noticed was that all the games had odd graphics alignment issues that didn't show up in SCC, nor do they show up in the original Genesis roms emulated on JenesisDS, so it's pretty clear that some stuff was slightly reworked graphically for this collection.

Also worth noting is that the special stages in S3 and S&K are causing JenesisDS to crash.

edit: I didn't change anything, but I'm not getting those black lines anymore.

13. infinity

infinity

It hasn't got antipiracy it just doesn't happen to work on some carts. Its still technically a bad dump as its missing a header section.

14. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Because then you'd have part of the screen completely obscured which would result in a smaller viewing area, Game Gear style, in games that aren't built for that. Scaling down sucks ass and hurts graphics, but cutting off pixels hurts playability.

So anyways, the emulator used in SCC is essentially programmed specifically to handle some functions of the games differently, such as movie graphics around?

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Isn't the screen stretching only vertical, though?

In that case, not scaling the screen would only hide some lines on the top and bottom of the screen.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The left and right sides are cut off, and then the remaining image is squashed down so that it fits.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    It's a shame there is no toggle option for resizing and full size, because every time I see that sonic 2 title screen looking so butchered up it's so annoying!

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Nintendo DS doesn't have an option for bicubic resizing. Even their OpenGL render system is nearest neighbour scaled, and inaccurate with 2D perspectives.

Saying that, they made a good choice in scaling just vertically.

19. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I wonder how this would look on the XL. Still scaled probably but I wonder if it makes any difference at all.

20. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Yeah. It'd be scaled, but bigger. The XL has the exact same resolution, only it's a bigger screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.