don't click here

How Sega All But Ruined Tails

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Turbo-Tails, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    This could be because of Sonic's nature in general. He gets bored with Station Square or where ever he's currently at, decides to go on a "vacation" and tells Tails to hold down the fort while he's gone. Or it could be a reference to how long it's been since the last sonic game *shrugs*

2. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I agree with this.

I don't mind the inventor part if it had stayed as a minor thing like in the Sonic OVA. Also, as another example from his behaviour in the OVA, I think he'd be heaps better if they made him that immature and got himself in trouble all too often.

3. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    You know what, say what you will about Tails' voice, but Chip's english voice is way worse. He sounds like fucking Mendinso. Every time he wants your attention he's like SOOONIC.... I want to say "shut the hell up Mendinso" every time.

4. Turbo-Tails

Turbo-Tails

Hey, sorry for not being in my own thread for a bit, but hey, I've been reading all the posts.

Anyways, I like the convos. I really agree with most of the PO V's on the OVA, which by the way is one of the best adaptations of sonic and tails, and possibly even knuckles. Tails voice is not to bad in the OVA, next to martin Burke's work it sounds pretty good. Keeping the mechanic thing minor is also good for a trait towards tails. Honestly though, I don't know where everyones getting this idea that tails was/is a SUPER FAN BOI of sonic. If you really pay attention to manuals and the stories he doesn't come off that clingy. In fact, I believe it was sonics choice to bring tails along with him. From the start tails was always a mech BTW, Tails Adventures was a good representation of this, and one of the main thing tails was interested in when he met sonic wasn't sonic himself, it was Tornado.

On SA2, I really didn't like tails, they pushed the button too far on dependence. The "Dependence" tails has on sonic is one thing I think sega needs to stop pushing. Like I said in my first post, before tails met sonic he took down a whole army (Battle Khuku).

I quite sure thats wrong, tails adventure is mostly taken place before meeting sonic, as stated in the manual
    "Tails resided in the years prior to his first encounter with Sonic" But its possible im the wrong one. Tails doesn't have the tornado with him at that time, and I think if he already knew sonic then he would've (By traits) Taken it with him when going to the island.

On a lighter note, lets give some more info about tails.

Tails is the only person to have as many super versions of himself as sonic does. here they are

Turbo tails, Super tails, Titan tails, and Hyper tails. Maybe sega would get the sense to give someone else the spotlight in this area, id love to play as super hyper or even chaos knux as well.

E: What everyones been saying about KC is so true, though I'm branching off here, heroes really killed the chaotix. First off, it wasnt even the info about them, it was there look that really tipped me. Espio who was once cool is now a complete loser in my book. My fav from KC Vector now looks like a bulked up gold chain wearing gangsta phag. No longer was he the cool tall croc I fell in love with. I found him 2 fat, and it seemed to me like sega was trying to appeal to the african american crowd. (No, I am not being racist, stereo typical, or anything of the sort, its a statement that im making and im sure many of you can follow suit that its probably what sega was aiming to do.) And like it was already said, charmy was a freaking 6 year old in heroes, when hes 16 in chaotix.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    If we're including non-canon appearances, then Sonic has waaaaay more Super Forms. Super, Hyper, Ultra, Solar, Polar, Neo, Dark Super, Red Chaos Emerald Super, Darkspine, and Excalibur. Werehog could be considered a Super Form too. There are probably others I'm forgetting as well.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's right, because he comes off as an obvious Fixer Sue and Robin Sue (your Mary Sues for mechanics and sidekicks) if he doesn't have his flaws. I hate seeing Tails as a mature individual, because it takes away the childishness and innocence creates his entire being, and if both were to exist at the same time (childishness and maturity), that wouldn't make any sense since the character's personality would be overall contradictory and make himself a paradox. :v: Because the truth is: maturity isn't the same thing as intelligence. Tails can certainly be super smart yet a naive little kid again.

I wanna see Tails be adventurous again, I wanna see him be curious and playful and silly again, and to be fun and Sonic's best friend again. This is why Chip did so much better than what Tails has been doing lately in the games (except with his voice being a little irksome).

But one of my biggest quirks with Tails is his modern design.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Tails' muzzle is now flat instead of sticking out (you know, like a foxes'), which makes his whole face look awkward, and his proportions are too close to Sonic's (whenever he's supposed to be significantly younger than Sonic, thus much shorter), his head is shaped almost in a rectangular shape rather than a circular shape now (making his ears look oddly placed), his eyes used to be a cerulean-ish color from what I remember in SA1 but now they are this weird teal, his mouth is centered and looks like he's sucking his lip (giving an all-new level of the "HURP DURP" look), and last but definitely not least, he's pee yellow. I'm sorry, that's just not right.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Speaking of Tails' designs, I thought the best compromise was in this Sonic X concept art made for the character:

[​IMG]

Isn't that just adorable? :D

I think people who complain about Tails being annoying fail to realize one core fact—he's a kid! Seriously, he's 8 years old; kids at that age are generally annoying as sin. I think the idea behind his character is kind of cute, though; Sonic is practically his idol, and he really looks up to him and does whatever he can to make him happy and be his friend. It's a really innocent bond that I think really adds to the development of both characters pretty well. Sonic Adventure really showed his maturity in this regard when he became more independent of Sonic and started relying on his own merits to help Sonic. It kind of changed the character in a big way, but not in a bad way.

While I kind of dislike playing as Tails in the older games on principle, I'd probably say he's one of my favorite characters.

8. Turbo-Tails

Turbo-Tails

Wow, love the Design Tweaker, and I always enjoy seeing the classic tails picture.
    by:LordOfSquad
    I said Next to sonic he has the most, not he just flat out has the most. I always knew sonic had waaaay more. However, in reference, the greatest super are probably the ones they don't use Eg; Solar, Polar, and Eco.

E: Although I was pointing out that I didnt like people calling tails a sonic super idolizer, I didnt mean he didnt idolize him, just was pointing out that he doesnt idolize sonic THAT MUCH, though he does. IMO

9. I Think That they ruined tails when they made him less important and stuck him with all of these generic new characters...

10. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I hate the voice actor that came after SA2... thanks to that he seems like a really small kid and is far more anoying to hear...

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I like this design, although the way his ears are shaped sort of bugs me, and his snout still doesn't seem to stick out that far. Other than that it's a pretty nice compromise.

12. Turbo-Tails

Turbo-Tails

This is probably gonna sound wierd, but the one prob in the compromise is the eyes. He Looks like hed be an annoying 8yr old SOB to be around, rather then a cool 8yr old to have around (classis tails just seems like that cool little cuz/nephew you like, the comp seems like that annoying little bro/cuz/neph.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    No, I thoroughly get what you're saying. His eyes need to be a little less shiny and possibly a deeper, less electric teal (cerulean blue would do fine).

14. Emerl

Emerl

Regarding Tails' personality, I believe that he was by far the best in SA1.
    In S2/S3K, he was the sidekick to Sonic solely for the sake of Sonic having a sidekick.
    Then in Adventure, it was shown that he felt himself too much of a sidekick to Sonic, which is why his stages involve racing Sonic, so that he can keep up his self-esteem.
    Then after Sonic trashes the Egg Carrier, Eggman gives Tails the chance he was after to prove his independence to himself.
    Tails succeeds (naturally), showing to himself that he's more than just a mindless sidekick.

Then in SA2 they pretend that it never happened (aside from how Tails got the seventh Chaos Emerald), and Tails is just a standard sidekick again.
    Of course, then with Shadow, they practically started phasing Tails (and Knuckles, whose story is similar to Tails') out altogether, to the point where he only makes one appearance in Unleashed, and (presumably) none at all in Sonic 4.

15. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    His new design is rather potbellied. The Sonic x one is somewhat better, still a tad potbellied. The classic Tails muzzle would be pretty tricky to make in 3D, and once you have, would it really be something you would want to look at?

16. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Exactly. I (and I'm sure others who were young when they first got into Sonic) thought of Sonic kind of like an older brother, especially the way they portrayed him in the cartoons. He liked to goof around, but was really protective, as well. Nowadays they make him way too much of a loner.

Nah, you're both right. The English manual has it take place after they met, but the Japanese version explain Tails' solitude by having it take place before they met. It depends on the canon you follow. Personally, I prefer the English explanation - after S&K, the three went their separate ways for a while. Tails had the Tails Adventure, Knuckles had Chaotix, and that's why Sonic is alone again in Sonic 4. :specialed:

Fuckin' A. This is what I was trying to point out, but in much more detail. Thanks. =P

17. Turbo-Tails

Turbo-Tails

I think that Tails really needs a more important role in modern games, in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, you knew he was important, or it least you felt it he was. Then when sonic 3 came out, just like emerl said, he was just there to be a sidekick, nothing else. Gone was tails and in was knuckles, with a better back story and a real adventure of his own.

Tails is also a pathetic SOB in Sonic 06, and really played no role at all, which showed sega pulled a SA2 all over again, this time throwing away everything about tails. He didn't even play well, he could fly for a few seconds and could (to what I saw) only throw Gai dummy ring bombs. And that voice, oh god that voice, I wanted to drown him. I derive this from my hour of playing Sonic 06, which means the intro, loading screens, shoe quest, and never even passing Wave coast due to shitty game play, and a slow, slow sonic. It was boring as hell and I vowed never to play it again.

And Mercury, thanks for the info, clears stuff up.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I admit the Sonic X designs were a decent compromise of the retro and Uekawa proportions (ironic if my knowledge is correct Uekawa actually done the concept art for Sonic X).

This is a problem I have with Sonic's persona these days, he's too carefree and they try to enthsaise how unbreakable he is, it makes him look rather indifferent to his friends' treatment (eg. Emerl and Chip's departures). I don't expect Sonic to burst into tears or have a Heroic Breakdown, but I expect him to act a little bummed or angered if anything happens to someone he cares about (that said he sorta shown concern over Amy in SA1 and actually seemed kinda pissed about Caliburn's shattered remains). This is something that sorta made his and Tails' bond special. Now it just seems to be a passive respect. They don't even meet unless it's really really necessary.

I can understand him still being a mellow guy who tries to hide his emotions and concerns, but I'd like it to at least be vaguely visible to the audience.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Once again, using OVA (and some of STC/Fleetway as well), I think Sonic works best with a laid back, semi-narcissistic personality that sort of fit with Tails, who is pretty modest although a little kid (and as we know little kids can get annoying sometimes). It gives that feeling of real brotherly love whenever these personalities are together at once, because that makes it where they fight alot and argue, but end up still being very close and caring for each other.

20. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Old Tails I like lots more than a new one as new one is too much into technic and stuff and makes me sad that he is not able to play and fly around :(. That's why I stick mostly to old Sonic games to FLY WITH him and discover the world what you cannot do in newer games

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.