don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. T-Rae

T-Rae

Tryin' to get back into Sonic hacking... Member
    Maryland
    none ATM
    I'm having a problem with changing Sonic's sprites. The original sonic 1 walking sprites has five frames, the spritesheet I'm using has 8 frames. Is there anyway I can fix this because when I open my rom, the animations except the standing, running, and waiting animations are fine. For instance, here is a screenshot of the mistake.
    [​IMG]
    Basically, is there a way I can fix this? Also, since I've edited sonic sprites, the SEGA logo sound has a weird buzzing sound, is there anyway I can fix that too?

2. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    You gotta edit the file _anim\Sonic.asm. Look in SonMapEd for the hex numbers of the sprites and edit the script.

The Wiki is your friend.

3. T-Rae

T-Rae

Maryland
    none ATM
    Thanks, Selbi. That helped me a lot. However, since I edited the sprites and tested out my hack so far, I get this illegal instruction at $0000AB66. Does anybody know what I can do to solve this? Usually this happens in Green Hill Zone, Star Light Zone, and Labyrinth Zone.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    As I recall, some of the animations (notably the walking and running animations) need to be the same number of bytes in length or Weird Shit™ happens when animations get exchanged. Check to make sure that's the case, and pad out the shorter one with FFs if necessary.

5. T-Rae

T-Rae

Maryland
    none ATM
    Thanks Quickman, the problem has been fixed. I've been looking through the forums of how to edit graphics (BG/FG). Would a good approach to start creating graphics would be to use yy-chr or actually create them using by a paint program (MS-Paint, GIMP, etc)? Also, in any of the art folders, where can I find the graphics for the monitors? And, for backgrounds, is it somewhat the same as importing art into SonED or is it a little different? Also, is there a way to change what animals come out of the badniks for each zone in Sonic 1?

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Assuming you're using the old disassembly on the wiki and not the SVN disassembly, artnem/monitors.bin has what you're looking for. It shouldn't be difficult to work out the SVN name.

That's just editing level art.

As far as I know all you have to do is change which animal's art is loaded in the pattern load cues for the level.

7. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    What routine sets the ground speed for sonic (im talking about a routine like ObjectFall or SpeedToPos)
    Im trying to optimise some of sonic's speed routines to work with some of my new objects, to increase their speed on slopes.

8. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    hey there... Does Metropolis zone share any of it's objects, tiles, or pallates with any other zone?

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hey, I've just been wondering, how exactly do you guys insert whole new objects? Say I wanted add something like this into the data:

][​IMG]

Is it just a matter of putting the tiles in SonMapEd and saving the tiles and mappings with an unused name or are there more complex matters (I take it I'll need a free VRAM location)?

10. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I think the tileset and palettes from Metropolis are unique to this zone (I.e. zones 04 and 05 internally). Some objects, like platform objects, are used in other levels IIRC, probably with different routine counters.

11. T-Rae

T-Rae

Maryland
    none ATM
    I've got a couple of problems. Take a look at both of these screenshots.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the backwards 100 on the bottom of Sonic's shoe, is there anyway I can solve that?
    [​IMG]
    Also, I've was editing the Flicky sprite but when I tried to return the sprite back to normal, the mappings looked like this.

Also, which are the .bin files of the numbers for the Score HUD, the E for the Score E (if you noticed in the screenshots), and the Chaos Emeralds after you leave the special stage located? I'm using the Hivebrain assembler.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Oh, the good old issue with too many tiles in vram, it's been a while since the last time it was mentioned :)

Now, in the hope that 9000 people didn't post while I needed 20 good minutes to run a forum search, have a couple of links:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=9106
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=9007

edit: ironically, both the threads I linked have an ID greater than 9000 :D

13. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Anyone have a back up of markeyjester's smps editor, the link in the topic is dead.

14. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Here it is.

15. T-Rae

T-Rae

Maryland
    none ATM
    Once again, I have another problem. However, I did fix the tile problem but now I have this...
    [​IMG]
    It seems when I start to run, this happens and only one frame of the running animation looks fine, anybody know how to fix this? Also, how can you change what comes out of the badniks once you defeat them? Basically, I want rings to pop out of them as in Sonic Megamix.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry to bother you about this again, which program do I do this with, should I download KMod or DebuGens?

17. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    So I've been trying to do a simular titlecard to sonic 3 and knuckles, using sonmaped, I put the art and created the mapings, and in sonmaped it looks fine but in game... for some reasons some tiles are deleted when they show in game. Any ideas why?
    [​IMG]
    In sonmaped
    [​IMG]
    In game.
    It might be something really simple but I'm not sure.

18. Pretty sure those use screen mappings and not object mappings...could be wrong though.

19. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Are you using a tile larger than $FF? if you do, you need to edit the mappings by hand (thats what happened to me when I inserted some tiles for sonic, had to use dc.l at some point)

20. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    I wouldn't know how to check.