don't click here

Favourite Running Style?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vrantheo, Feb 4, 2010.

(Derp)

1. Classic "Wheel" Style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SA1/06 "Wing" Style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Heroes/Shadow "Swing" Style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rush/Unleashed "Recent" Style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rivals/S4Trailer "Fast Walking" Style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. CD/Brawl "Peelout" Style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. ...There is more?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    Further explanation goes here:

Classic "Wheel" Style
    Duh.

SA1/06 "Wing" Style
    Keeping arms and hands on the back and giving out the feeling of "flying" through the way. The basic being Sonic Advance 2/3, derivations also exists when not at full speed. Sonic's body would also be hopping vertically a bit more (SA1), or having palms facing backwards rather than upwards (06). IMO this style is most impressing on 06's mach speed zones, especially Kingdom Valley.

Heroes/Shadow "Swing" Style
    Rather than the body staying still all the time, flipping arms while the torso tilting slightly to the opposite seemed to be more like natural running. (The opening of Seaside Hill and the first part of Westopolis and Final Haunt where Sonic can be seen with a decent angle could make the proper demonstration.) Lots of people might be complaining about Heroes' character models, but the motions should be considered another case.

Rush/Unleashed "Recent" Style
    The style is the most common one around the modern era. Sonic X, Unleashed, Rush, etc. The only difference with the "Wing" style is the clenched fists. Knuckles in Heroes/Shadow/06 also used similar style.

Rivals/S4Trailer "Fast Walking" Style
    Yes, if I had not mistaken this appeared first in Rivals. I've seen many people raging about it in the Sonic 4 thread already...

CD/Brawl "Peelout" Style
    This one stands out with the obvious mobius strip. The hands go "Wing" style in Sonic CD, "Recent" in Brawl.

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Super Peelout. It's awesome.

3. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

I think the most appealing thing about the 'wheel' running animation is that it's Sonic's 'thing'. It's what he does when at max speed on flat ground. The Super Peelout is a great advancement for those really fast bits.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Of course I voted "classic".

But re: "who actually ever imitated it", I have to admit that since the day I got the S&K Collection, I often find myself running around with my arms and my hands in Super Sonic's position. After all, the newer animations are easier to replicate in real life, I challenge everyone to do a real life peelout.

5. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Peelout. I've always preferred this over the wheel running style, I'm not sure why.

re: imitation - I tried running in the wheel style, it was... awkward, to say the least.

6. MastaSys

MastaSys

I like the wheel one.
    But my all time favourite is the infinite symbol one of Sonic CD/Brawl.

7. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Maybe peelout or running animation from the intro from CD. The feet are weird in Brawl though, especially the tip. So though it might be the same move, it definetly looks weirder.

Taking the options in the poll, I'll vote for classic. Never understood the hype for anything Sonic related in Brawl.

8. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Peelout.

Sonic CD all the way, y'all.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The peel-out one is definitely my favorite. The original wheel-cycle legs are very iconic of the classic games, but the positions of the arms never made a whole lot of sense to me. I always thought the peel-out portrayed a much better sense of crazy and frantic speed that was very representative of Sonic as a character.

I've gotta say, though—I loved the Sonic 2 Beta running sprite as well. The crazy swirl is extremely cool and flows brilliantly.

10. Jace

Jace

Wheel-style. It's an indication of Road-Runner speeds.~

11. Alonguy

Alonguy

私はここで何をしているんだ?もう10年も前のことなのに... Member
    Long Beach, California
    Alonguy - 3D Action-RPG
    I had to decide between peel out and wing, I like both of them!
    I ended up picking peel out.
    I love that "8"!
    Which makes me wonder how they did it so well in Brawl...
    Did they use a separate model?

12. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

A separate model for what?

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's classic all the way for me. I'm not into the later games on other systems so I can't say if I would prefer them. Although I have played the Sonic Advanced series and I can say that I don't like the animation or the style of art in that series. The peel-out in Sonic CD is good and comes close to the classic wheel. But if I saw that one all the time it would become old very quickly.

I also would like to point out some other animations of sonic in the classic series.

The best to me is the Sonic 2 animations for Sonic. The walking animation of Sonic in Sonic 2 is far superior to Sonic 1. He looks more alpha male and means business. I also feel the Sonic 3 animations suffer the worst against sonic 2, mainly Super Sonic. His face in Sonic 3 makes him look like he's lost his attitude. Almost as if he banged up Amy Rose, became middle aged and decided that he was going to hang up his sneakers because he's now got to take care of his reckless behaviour.

14. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I'd have to go with the Sonic CD/Brawl peelout, its pretty much proved itself on a 3d model already.

The classic style run was fine in 16bit, but I think its time to let go of the dislocating hip bones 360 degree wheel run.

15. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Classic style, definitely.

I used to imitate the SA1-style running a few years back, running back and forth in front of my house.

It was oddly enjoyable.

16. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Blasphemous though it may seem to most of you, I chose Wing. In fact, I'd like to see what Classic Sonic looked like in this running pose.

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Gotta stick with the classic style especially the S2 Beta one, it's my favorite. My least favorite would have to be the Super Peel-out, I always thought it looked bad. And the only video game character I tend to imitate while I walk is Megaman. :v: Yeah I hate running.

18. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Peelout

oh, and as a little kid (10 >_>) I trie'd the Wing style. One word: Dorkbag. Fun though.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Sonic CD opening video style. Particularly when he bursts into the peelout style of motion. Why not just go with peelout? Because it's so much more chaotic in the hand drawn video.

20. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    For so many Peelout lovers maybe we need to mention Sonic OVA as well.

Like a lot others, I watched some close-up videos of Brawl Sonic in slow motion in order to analyse the leg movement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.