don't click here

Trying to play Sega Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Patback, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patback

Patback

I just now found out that there was a release of the actual game outside of that short prototype. I tried playing it with my 360 controller, but mame's default actions didnt work. He just shoots off to either the top right or lower left of the screen. Anyone played this with analog sticks that could throw some tips my way involving configuration?

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    What type of MAME are you using? I'm familiar with configuring MAME 32 FX to play this game. I'd have to go and do it again to remember how, though.

3. Sploit

Sploit

Try getting a trackball, it really is the best way to play it. After all, thats the way it was intended to be played.

4. Vangar

Vangar

Is there more then one island in this game? I played through it with my GF last year but we didn't make it out of the big tower at the end with the countdown.

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Wait are you guys talking about the Sonic arcade game? There are two versions of that, and I was sure it was released in arcades

6. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Yeah, the countdown in this pisses me off.
    Played the game several times, never made it past the end of the tower. =P

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Nope, that's the end of the game.

8. Søda the Junker

Søda the Junker

WE MAKE THE DREAMS COME TRUE Member
    *5 Project Multi-Tasking*
    The only version that works well on Macs.

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Even if you get a version of Mame that supports your controller, SegaSonic Arcade isn't terribly playable on an analog stick.

I played and beat the game using the mouse to control. It's not quite a trackball, but it does the job.

10. Patback

Patback

mame supports the pad, I just wanted to figure out a good analog configuration for the game.

11. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I really doubt the trackball makes it any easier to control, it just seems to have strange jumping controls. You can't seem to maneuver in the air, which seems to be the problem to me.

Anyway, I found that I had to turn the sensitivity way down or else Sonic would switch directions in place rapidly. Go into the game's service menu and look at the controller test screen to sort it out, I guess.

12. HighCaliburFun

HighCaliburFun

I gotta juice! Member
    USA
    That darn game is almost impossible to play without the trackball. Just try your keyboard/joy pad on the part where you have to jump over the logs. Its stupid hard.

13. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    once with a friend set up this game to use the Wiimote connected to a PC.. (using GlovePie)
    but still had problems with sensitivity and made it very difficult... although at the moment was entertaining

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Turn your mouse upside down. :specialed:

15. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I beat the game but I used a lot of coin inserts and continues. it was still fun with the analog sticks. I forget how I configured it but I was able to make it easily playable after enough adjustments.

16. Sploit

Sploit

Actually the trackball does make it much easier to control, I have a converted PCB with the Rev.A version on it. The trackball is very accurate and perfectly sensitive, roll its quick they run, roll it slowly they walk, and also whatever direction the character is facing moving on screen, the trackball is rolled in the same direction.

The game itself takes time to get used to, and you constantly die, as the game is designed to make you pay for lots of credits. But it is very fun, despite its short run time :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.