don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The spines look fine really it's more the face I think needs editing, stretch it out a bit me thinks, it looks a bit flat and too Sonic-like.

2. Tidbit

Tidbit

I don't think the face is the problem. His spines just need to be thinner.

3. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Sooo... I've started a little bit of graphics work on my project. I thought it would be best to start with the zone title cards...

This is only just a mock-up WIP screen... but so far I think it looks good. I especially like the work I did on the fonts!

[​IMG]

I'm probably change the "Act" font to a completely different one, and in the white space it's going to have "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG" over and over again scrolling through.

Here's the font itself...

[​IMG]

I'd appreciate any C&C please!

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    uhm. Well, I don't /particularly/ like the look of that font, but that's just my opinion.

More importantly is that if you use text that huge, you're going to run into sprite limit or VRAM space problems, or both.

Unless of course you plan on doing an 8-bit style title card, where the entire title card disappears before the level starts fading in.

5. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

This ain't no simple ROM hack!

This be a fan game made from the ground up! :O

6. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Oh, whoops. Then in that case, do what you like! =P

7. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Love when people get unique with in-game fonts. I really like that one, although it has kind of a modernistic tropical feel, and the background doesn't really match. Just toying with the colors a little will fix that though (for example, that green color looks nice). Looks great so far!

8. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

I have that red bit on the side to be a fusion of Sonic 2's and Sonic 3's title card.

The black background might not ever be there at all... I'm going to try to make the entire game seamless between each act and zone.

Anyway, here's an updated picture...

[​IMG]

The "SONIC IN ACT I" text will quickly scroll to the left and loop to the right when the title card appears, similar to how it does it does in Sonic Advance.

That new font will be used in a lot of places, like in the Score, Time, and Rings bit, the Special Zone (with its whole "Sonic got a Chaos Emerald"). Here's the font itself:

[​IMG]

A lot of the crappy looking letters (like the "Q" or "X") probably won't be used anyway so I don't mind their crappiness. Also, the colour will be changed depending on which character you're playing... IF I decide to have more than one character (which I would like to implement, probably just Sonic, Tails, and Knux though).

9. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Shame Cinossu's pic doesn't apply to ideas that were thought up years ago, but never implemented. :v:

Oh well, guess someone else gets to take the first "Hey everyone! My entire game's one huge level!"

10. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I actually prefer the look of the old title card. The "Act X" text looked much better before, in my opinion. Maybe if you made this look like a smaller version of that same font, it'd be all right. As it is, the new font looks pretty MS Painty.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    7000 posts. ;) Haven't had time or the motivation to do anything worthy of a topic this time around, so instead, you get a teaser:

[​IMG]

What could it be? You'll hopefully find out later this year. + - And this is about all I can show without giving the game away =P  

12. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Why? Just why do I think that this is NOT a text releated tool?

Btw, I prefer © instead of ( C ). =P

Edit: Thanks nineko; screw you word filter. >_>

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Oh ok.

Protip: hit "preview" when you write a message so you can see if it has been wordfiltered. This forums turns the (, C, ) sequence into a copyright symbol by default :3

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I know what it is~

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    [​IMG]
    I managed to fix the whole 'falling through the floor' thing.
    video
    Tracing the curved parts is reaaaally boring =P
    I also learned that creating a playable layout may be a bit difficult, but making a good one is harder.
    oh, and inb4 'lolSonic1HackingStudio'

16. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Wow, the music actually fits the zone. :psyduck:
    The artwork is really nice too.

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]
    It's not a bug, it's a feature. This isn't a mockup.
    Thanks to MarkeyJester and Selbi for their help with a few things, namely mapping issues and a new feature backported from an upcoming game, as well as NoNameAtAll for the sprites.

P.S: It's buggy and there's a lot of stuff that I have to add and fix myself. I'll post a rom later since Kega doesn't want to record under Windows 7. >_<

18. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    I love the way that Sonic's eyes are closed, as if in exasperation at seeing that badnik there.

Unintentional comedy?

19. Mikel

Mikel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A preview of a new earthquake escape path I made for the new layout to be used in Act 2 of Hill Top Zone in Sonic Zeta Overdrive.

Comments, Criticism and Suggestions will be appreciated.

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    [​IMG][​IMG]

o hai guyz
    (this is handled by a macro, thanks to Selbi for helping me round this shit)