don't click here

Confirmed: Michael Jackson DID compose music for Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jmr, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That extra life is indeed composed by Howard Drossin and made it into Sonic 3. That's something I always forget. That makes two entries, both arranged by Masaru Setsumaru. However, the continue music was too fast, making me believe it wasn't finished when Sonic 3 was built, or maybe a bug in the sound engine?

I know about the water changing the boss music, and it also happens in Launch Base Act 2's boss if you use debug to fall off the platform and into the water, so it isn't really just for the mid-boss.

Howard's country themed Sonic tune ended up to become the title screen music in the hands of Masaru Setsumaru, so I doubt Howard really did any other music pieces. He wasn't that into Sonic music to begin with.

[guess]
    Now if Michael Jackson composed any music for Sonic 3 without any of his crew, I can really hear it: Da, da, da, da, daaaa, daaaa, d~a..... Yea the title screen theme of Sonic 3 is so basic, yet it has that powerful beat that Carnival Night, Ice Cap, and Launch Base have. It somewhat always stand out even if it is simple. And it got replaced in Sonic 3 & Knuckles pretty fast (even in the Sonic 3C later builds?)
    [/guess]
    I think my guess is better than yours :P

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  3. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Old article is old.

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    This.
    Also, five or six guys musicians who worked with Jacko are credited in Sonic 3.

5. jmr

jmr

Not a reliable source. If I remember correctly, the composer credits were assigned based on the information in the game credits alone.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    That was a little jab at Project Chaos for being so out of date.

7. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    never mind, I should read these things before I post like an idiot.

8. We've already established that he was involved in a very notable Genesis title before Sonic 3 - with his own name plastered on it.

This is, again, why no one's buying the "He didn't like how it sounded" story - Moonwalker's very existence stands in contradiction of that.

Anyway, being bored enough, I've decided to look in some other forums for some discussion on this.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138776

9. Pretty much this. He was a fan of Sonic games, so surely he knew what they sounded like. Also the Moonwalker stuff which has already been mentioned.
    Removing his name because of the child abuse stuff is more viable than this excuse, and its not even viable.
    EDIT: Hell, just read the digitpress stuff. They know there stuff.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Huh. Since when did Michael Jackson have anything to do with the Moonwalker videogames? Citation needed?

More like they make their stuff up.

11. The fact he allowed it, what with all the devaluing of his music it must have done. How's that?

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is he credited in that game?

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yes. I think he's supposedly credited as a "lead game designer" as well as for the music (but I'd need to check this) but he's most definitely in there.

On further review it's listed as "Game Concept and Design by Michael Jackson" in-game.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    He's in the credits as Muteki mentioned. Considering the content of the games, I don't find it hard to believe.

Honestly I think it was much easier for him to accept the Moonwalker stuff because it was simply using music he already made. He could have got frustrated at trying to make something new specifically for the hardware.

15. I generally got the impression that it was the other way around that's really frustrating.

16. I agree with this. His songs are iconic. The songs he wrote/would have written for Sonic would never be as popular. I would be more worried about songs linked to me than I would be about ones linked to Sonic.

17. ZeaLitY

ZeaLitY

I'm surprised there wasn't a contractual storm over this. If Michael Jackson worked on my video game, it'd be a Big Damn Deal and a cause for media coverage and advertisement. I doubt they were just going to sneak Michael Jackson's contributions in there and say "oh, by the way MJ wrote some songs lol, did u notice? :v: "

18. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Wouldn;t be the first time MJ had snuck his work under people's noses. No one knew that he wrote 'Do the Bartman' when it was released, plus he went under a fake alias in the Simpsons episode he voiced for. Also, while MJ was on the Japanese cover of Space Channel 5 part 2, Sega hardly mentioned his cameo in both of those games as a game selling feature. Same with Ready 2 Rumble Round 2: he was there and mentioned from time to time, but not on the box anywhere, only in the manual.

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Thanks to Wiz we now have a scan of the article, the part where the question is asked anyway.

[​IMG]

20. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Maybe MJ had a frame of mind that only MJ would receieve credit for works getting 100% of his input, I.e. his albums/concerts/etc. It could be that he enjoyed being anonymous in other people's projects and just thought it was fun for him on a peronal level to be involved and didn't want to be the center of attention because he is so popular and well known. He probably didn't want to take the spotlight from someone else because he wouldn't want the same to happen to him. But for him to make music with such a distinct style....it's obvious that it WOULD be him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.